Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Trust me, I'm not an advocate of Barries so I'm not being hopeful or delusional. I just don't think its a foregone conclusion just because he went to arbitration. I don't care what happens with him so long as we can replace him with someone who can hold his own in the back end.

Breaking the bank though I completely agree with. We'll hopefully have a better Barrie on ELC by then anyway. :naughty:

Being BFFs with MacK should help as well.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
If the Cabucks are rejecting Barrie because of Ben Hutton and Sakic is getting rejected in Duchene deals for the likes of Josh Anderson or Cody Ceci - it's hard to blame him.

He probably created his own mess by stating some nebulous price "young top defender and other assets" but that doesn't mean the offers from other teams haven't been dreadful and only fit his stupid criteria in the loosest of ways that clearly, clearly aren't the intent of what he was asking for.

I still believe there is a lot of crying and leaking to press going on by organizations clearly not interested in a fair trade but are instead trying to put Joe in an impossible spot (again, much by his own doing).

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah when i hear those names, not that they are bad players per se but its starting to make me think the counter offers to Joe's asks havent been great

i mean Ceci and Anderson arent world breakers and we cant even get these guys? whut?

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Yeah when i hear those names, not that they are bad players per se but its starting to make me think the counter offers to Joe's asks havent been great

i mean Ceci and Anderson arent world breakers and we cant even get these guys? whut?

That is the whole issue. Sakic had never received any good offers from other GM's. If Ottawa refused to give even someone like Ceci as the main piece back. It's not Sakic's fault, it's the other GM's and Media.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If the Cabucks are rejecting Barrie because of Ben Hutton and Sakic is getting rejected in Duchene deals for the likes of Josh Anderson or Cody Ceci - it's hard to blame him.

He probably created his own mess by stating some nebulous price "young top defender and other assets" but that doesn't mean the offers from other teams haven't been dreadful and only fit his stupid criteria in the loosest of ways that clearly, clearly aren't the intent of what he was asking for.

I still believe there is a lot of crying and leaking to press going on by organizations clearly not interested in a fair trade but are instead trying to put Joe in an impossible spot (again, much by his own doing).

I read that as it wouldn't have been one for one but as part of a package.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Anderson rumor stems from a rumored package of Murray + Anderson + 2nd... some extensions of a goalie being added into the deal (Merzlikins). I don't have any sorts of confirmation on that though, water cooler talk so to speak.

Dreger believes Guy Boucher is a big Duchene fan and is pushing for him. He also says there's no fit between the two teams right now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-sens-remain-in-the-mix-for-duchene~1214391

I don't know about pushing for him, but Boucher is a huge Duchene fan.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
That is the whole issue. Sakic had never received any good offers from other GM's. If Ottawa refused to give even someone like Ceci as the main piece back. It's not Sakic's fault, it's the other GM's and Media.

Who are you guys going to start blaming next? Bernie? HFboards?

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Who are you guys going to start blaming next? Bernie? HFboards?

I don't know the context, but for the record I would happily blame Bernie for everything. Literally nothing good has happened with him as mascot. And he just bangs that stupid little tongue with his tongue hanging out. Bernie needs to be put down... yetis never die.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
The Anderson rumor stems from a rumored package of Murray + Anderson + 2nd... some extensions of a goalie being added into the deal (Merzlikins). I don't have any sorts of confirmation on that though, water cooler talk so to speak.

Asked for, or offered?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I've heard it both ways, with and without Elvis. Frankly I'm not connected enough to determine who rejected who or if it was a legit on the table offer. It is just the sewing circle talk.

I like that the Avs were/are looking for another goalie to add and decided to go with Joe Cannata. Real hard work there.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It would be entertaining if Sakic told the media Matt Duchene is not available.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That would be absolutely hilarious.

And Duchene comes out and says he's known all along he wasn't available and it was all a massive coup by he and Joe from the start.

Dont think Joe would find many trade partners around the league anymore though :laugh:

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
While his contract may not exactly be a winning factor, lets be real here, Duchene's value is low because he had a below average year on a terrible team and looked like he could care less about playing hockey for big chunks of the last year.

Roy, apparently, wanted to trade him. Sakic clearly has wanted to trade him.

Not great numbers, a terrible team, plus 2 people who had different opinions on hockey both wanting him gone are why his value is poor.

Also, acknowledging the Duchene hot mess, what exactly has Sakic done to make people think that players hate him and would never sign/re-sign here and that Colorado is a tire fire?

Sakic has had relatively easy negotiations with virtually every player he has dealt with. Zadorov took awhile to sign, but nothing out of the ordinary for a player in his situation. The O'Reilly situation was a mess that was left over from before his time and frankly a huge part of the issue was O'Reilly and his family. I am not sure any GM could have kept him in Colorado.

Several well respected vets have signed in Colorado, along with a wide swath of depth players with lots of experience. (not all turning out well for the Avs of course)

Drafting has been strong IMO since he took over, with a scouting department he has put together after moving on from the one that did OK in the top rounds around when he was hired but that was clearly not cutting it in the later rounds. He cleaned house at the AHL level when it seemed like the development program there was toxic and bad for players.

The Avs were bad last year, but virtually everything went against them. He did a very hard thing and stood up to a legend of a coach that wanted to spend the farm to re-shape the team. Then did another hard thing and re-committed to a rebuild that was accelerated/ended by Roy and early success and in part due to Stastny wanting to go to St Louis - necessitating the Iggy signing I think in Roy and Sakic's minds, which - along with the crazy good season - almost forced the team to end the rebuild. The coach he brought in post-Roy seemed like a good fit, or at least the best he could do with Roy bailing so last minute. Maybe should have fired him this summer??? But maybe not? Maybe the core players on the team stood up for him in the summer meetings and said to keep him? (frankly not much has come out on players thoughts either way, even players that left this summer are mum on him)

A tire fire of a team would have made rash moves last summer to try and band-aid the team together. Sakic did not do that. A great GM, maybe not.. but also not exactly a horrid management team as some spell it out to be.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I will be so pissed if Sakic does not get that 1st out of CBJ...

If they get to keep Carlsson instead of Murray (which they prefer) and get to rid themselves off their negotiation headache in Anderson, Sakic better get that goddamn first round pick.

I mean thats all I am asking for right now.

Get me a goddamn 1st round pick for Duchene + a few other decent pieces + prospects. Don't really care much about these as long as the value makes sense.

But get me that goddamn 1st round pick. Would be the second major deal where Sakic does not manage to get us an extra 1st. Which is kind of pathetic.

This deal would look terrible unless Anderson turns into a Lucic type of player down the road...
And I wouldn't bank on that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad