Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Really didn't expect Z to take this long..

I mean I expect him to sign, but I worry about issues long term if they're squabbling over less then $500k..

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
With this roster
Andrighetto-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Duchene-Yakupov
Wilson-Compher-Jost
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau

Zadorov-Johnson
Barberio-Barrie
Bigras-Mironov
Lindholm- Cowen

Varlamov
Bernier

My question is are we better than the 2015-2016 season?

We could be, or we could be worse than in 2016-2017 season.

Will Andrighetto keep up his production from last season?
Will Yakupov finally have a breakout season?
Will Duchene and Söderberg bounce back to their normal level?
Will Wilson be what we expected or just another Colborne?
Will Jost be ready for the NHL yet?
Will EJ make it through a season without getting injured?
Will Zadorov/Bigras/Barberio be any good or will we be stuck with three 3rd pairing fringe LD's?
Will Varlamov be healthy and good again?

The way I see it, there is a lot of potential in our roster right now, but if too many pieces fail to reach their potential, then we'll be right at the bottom of the league.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
We are an EJ/Varly injury away from being last again, that's all it'll take even if we are playing well

Does not even take an injury.

I mean honestly looking back the Avs always had to rely on their goaltending over the last 10 years to determine where they end up in the standings.

When Anderson and Varly went complete godmode, we made the playoffs.
Otherwise we did not.

I don't think the rest of the team is good enough to make the playoffs this time even if he goes godmode.

So I would say if Varly goes ham, we pick in the 10-15th range (worst case scenario).

If Varly has a bounce back season and plays well, we will probably end up in the 5-10th range.

If Varly has a mediocre season, we should pick in the top5 (unless several teams jump us in the draft lottery).

If Varly has a bad season or gets injured, we should be a lock for bottom 3.

So yeah. Just don't go godmode please Varly...

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Stole this from the Bruins board...

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ty-anders...scouraging-update-david-pastrnak-negotiations

In fact, speaking at the Bruins’ Fanfest in Providence on Thursday, Neely said that there hasn’t been much of anything when it’s come to recent discussions with the star sniper.

“There hasn’t been any dialogue,†Neely told the Boston Herald. “Early on there was and then an offer was put out there and there hasn’t really been much back and forth for us to say where we’re going to head and what direction we’re going in. Until we really see what they’re thinking and what they’re looking for, then we can start the dialogue.

“To be honest with you, we haven’t really gotten a response on what they’re looking for,†Neely said of the talks with Pastrnak’s agent, J.P. Barry. “I know when they talked early on, they had some parameters to work around, some comps that I think both sides felt were fair at that particular time, so an offer was made but there really wasn’t much dialogue after that. So I think it’s kind of pointless for us to negotiate against ourselves.â€

It’s believed that the Bruins entered the Pastrnak negotiations with a six-year, $36 million contract offer, which Pastrnak’s camp shot down, and that they have since bumped that offer up to seven years and $42 million. Both deals would come with a $6 million per season cap hit, which appears to be a focus of the Black and Gold.

That would also be substantially less than the eight-year, $68 million contract the Oilers gave to star forward Leon Draisaitl, which comes with an $8.5 million per year tag.

But Neely does not believe that Draisaitl’s contract should move needle across the NHL.

“I know everyone’s talking about the Draisaitl contract, and rightfully so they were waiting to see what was going to happen there, but that’s one player,†Neely said. “If it looks like an abundance of players and the market has shifted, then you should look at it, but if it’s one player that you’re hanging your hat on then I don’t know if that’s a market shift. I don’t know if the market has really shifted as much as people think.â€

Still, like Bruins general manager Don Sweeney, Neely remains confident that there's still time for a deal to get done.

“I feel confident we can get something done," said Neely. "I think David has expressed that he loves it here and wants to play here. We want him here for a long as it makes sense for us.â€

So Pastrnak and the B's basically haven't spoken since the off-season began...?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Stole this from the Bruins board...

So Pastrnak and the B's basically haven't spoken since the off-season began...?

I think its hilarious.

You don't like our 6x6M offer?

Okay how about 7 years x 6M?

I mean that is worse for Pastrnak...

I understand now why the Avs and Bruins have a decent relationship when it comes to management...

They do seem to share a similar belief system...

Boston Seguin, Thornton, Kessel, Pastrnak...

Avs Drury, ROR, and a few soon to follow (Barrie, Zads are the main candidates...)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs are an organization that will happily dole out cash for past-their-prime veterans but nickel and dime damn near every young player they have.

Everyone in the Avs' front office needs to be slapped into reality starting with Joe Sakic.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The Avs are an organization that will happily dole out cash for past-their-prime veterans but nickel and dime damn near every young player they have.

Everyone in the Avs' front office needs to be fired starting with Joe Sakic.

Fixed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Landy fits the Bruins style way more than Pasta.

Just saying...

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With this roster
Andrighetto-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Duchene-Yakupov
Wilson-Compher-Jost
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau

Zadorov-Johnson
Barberio-Barrie
Bigras-Mironov
Lindholm- Cowen

Varlamov
Bernier

My question is are we better than the 2015-2016 season?

Someone did this last year and I couldn't believe my eyes how bad it was even if some people were optimistic. No one is optimistic anymore I guess.

This is how I see the bottom of the standings at the end of the year:

27- Canucks or Yotes
-
-
28- tanking for Dahlin team #2
29- tanking for Dahlin team #1
-
-
-
-
-
-
30- AVS
31- Vegas

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nomatter how poorly we're coached I don't see how anybody can put Detroit ahead of us. Seriously if you take the best player in each position on each team and compare them the Avs come out on top. Do it for the 2nd best and the Avs come out on top again. That path continues like 6 more times. They're so awful. And their prospect pool is pretty ugly too.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Landy + Duchene 50% retained + Barrie for Pasta and McAvoy!!!

Even if it was possible Sakic would never do something like that in a million years. Remember when some insiders at the deadline last year thought the AVS would trade both Landy and Duchene to the same team? It didn't make sense but I wonder why they were believing that?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nomatter how poorly we're coached I don't see how anybody can put Detroit ahead of us. Seriously if you take the best player in each position on each team and compare them the Avs come out on top. Do it for the 2nd best and the Avs come out on top again. That path continues like 6 more times. They're so awful. And their prospect pool is pretty ugly too.

and they are (unbelievably) stuck in cap hell with that roster. Oh, and they just used their first pick on Rasmussen.

Agreed that the Wings are in a much worse position than us. We are one good GM away from having a bright future. Wings are in deep, deep **** regardless of what they do in the next 3-4 years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Even if it was possible Sakic would never do something like that in a million years. Remember when some insiders at the deadline last year thought the AVS would trade both Landy and Duchene to the same team? It didn't make sense but I wonder why they were believing that?

Yeah I'm just playing. Plus no other team would do a trade like that. The team has failed for years and those 3 are the pieces rumored to be on the block the most. There's a cancer or separation there somewhere and teams aren't going to be willing to take 3 of those guys on at once with all the risk involved.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

The biggest difference there is the coach lol. Blashill isn't even that good of a coach either.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I would not trade Makar until the kid at least attends NHL camp or plays in the AHL or NHL pre season games. He's considered very highly skilled offensive d-man, and if you trade him now it's a big mistake. He might become a dynamic player in the NHL and you will regret trading him.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah you just don't trade a guy like Makar at this point. Too many things at stake here.

First time we draft a dman with a top 10 pick in decades and we'd trade him before his first training camp...lol

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Agreed.

This is going to be a year where 3-4 teams are going to be in the ~55-60 point range, and a lot of hockey fans are gonna be saying these teams were tanking on purpose because of Dahlin/Svechnikov.

But in reality, all 4 of Colorado, Vegas, Detroit, and Vancouver are really terrible teams on paper. I'd be tempted to add New Jersey to that group as well but they're probably a small tier above those 4.

As far as those 4 teams, I think it goes Vegas in 31st, Detroit gets 30th. Then the Avs at 29 and Vancouver at 28.

member 116861

Agreed.

This is going to be a year where 3-4 teams are going to be in the ~55-60 point range, and a lot of hockey fans are gonna be saying these teams were tanking on purpose because of Dahlin/Svechnikov.

But in reality, all 4 of Colorado, Vegas, Detroit, and Vancouver are really terrible teams on paper. I'd be tempted to add New Jersey to that group as well but they're probably a small tier above those 4.

As far as those 4 teams, I think it goes Vegas in 31st, Detroit gets 30th. Then the Avs at 29 and Vancouver at 28.

I'll take Vancouver over New Jersey and a few other teams, they actually have a defense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Still more than enough cap space available to fit in a $6M/yr player, if they choose to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad