Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't have any faith in the Avs this season. Defence is still a mess, Duchene is still on the team and likely won't be happy. Bednar is still the coach and all signs point towards Sakic having the utmost of faith in him.

I see a 28-30 finish next season to be honest, with only Vegas being the sure-fire pick at 31 IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'll take Vancouver over New Jersey and a few other teams, they actually have a defense.

NJ has Schneider, he & god-mode Varly are the biggest difference makers on any of these teams.

I don't have any faith in the Avs this season. Defence is still a mess, Duchene is still on the team and likely won't be happy. Bednar is still the coach and all signs point towards Sakic having the utmost of faith in him.

I see a 28-30 finish next season to be honest, with only Vegas being the sure-fire pick at 31 IMO.

Dutchy will get plenty happy once Jost is setting him up for 35+ goals :sarcasm:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The league is too unpredictable to really nail it down like that. Some team is going to massively underachieve or overachieve. Some team is going to have a ton of injuries. Some team is going to get a big break out from a few players.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Okay, CBJ's got their cap pretty much sorted out. You know what happens next.

Josh Anderson's contract. No but really, they'll trade for Duchene now.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I imagine since teams are getting settled, GMs are seeing which pieces they have to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if Duchene rumors started heating up with more than CBJ in the mix. I really want that CGY deal that's been thrown out in the past of Bennett+Valimaki. If CGY didn't offer that but offered Duchene for Hamilton straight up, would you take it?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I imagine since teams are getting settled, GMs are seeing which pieces they have to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if Duchene rumors started heating up with more than CBJ in the mix. I really want that CGY deal that's been thrown out in the past of Bennett+Valimaki. If CGY didn't offer that but offered Duchene for Hamilton straight up, would you take it?

Easy yes.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Would Hamilton be better than EJ, if he were on the Avs? Better than Barrie? I know he's a righty, so that could cause an issue or two.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Would Hamilton be better than EJ, if he were on the Avs? Better than Barrie? I know he's a righty, so that could cause an issue or two.

I'd put him over either. Healthy EJ in his stride is on par with Hamilton IMO, but that's a rare enough occurrence.

Murray, PLD, prospect and a 1st round pick for Duchene.

You need to seriously lower your expectations.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I'd say a fully inform EJ is better, mainly because he's a lot better defensively than Hamilton, but offensively it's easily Hamilton.

I guess I'd put it this way I think EJ has been a low end #1 and I'd say Hamilton won't be good enough defensively to be a #1. But as 2 he'll be great.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Hamilton is the type of player I can see Joe liking. He's somewhat known, he's decently established, and he would likely fit into Bednar's system pretty well since he isn't as creative as Barrie. There are rumored locker room issues, though, and it seems the modern Avs have valued character a lot in their players/prospects. I'd probably say yes to a 1-for-1, but I would do everything in my power to get Bennett added in somehow.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Calgary would be out of their minds to trade Hamilton for Duchene. They built that defense for a reason, they aren't going trade the guy with the biggest toolset of all of them now.

I have kind of wondered why we haven't seen Calgary as a major player for Duchene. They've got a great team with a lot of young guys just hitting their stride plus a nice pool of prospects still but they've also mortgaged a ton of future draft picks and are counting on an aging goalie.

Seems to me they could throw one or two of their top defensive prospects out there (Valimaki/Andersson/Kylington/Fox) and one of Bennett/Jankowski at center and really create an enticing package. They've also got both Gillies and Parsons in net as carrots. We could even take back some semi-dead weight like Brouwer to even out salary.

As for the Flames...I would think a Monahan-Duchene-Backlund center axis would be mighty tasty. Or you could play Duchene as another star winger. Add in Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk Jr along with excellent support players like Frolik and Ferland and that ridiculous defense...that's a team that is going places IMO...it would all come down to Mike Smith really.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's funny...because the Avalanche were THAT BAD last season, we can say they will be markedly better and also say they might still be at or near the bottom of the league standings. Even a 30-point swing sees them well, well out of the playoff picture. If they had finished with 30 more points last season that would only have them tied with Buffalo for 26th in the league.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The league is too unpredictable to really nail it down like that. Some team is going to massively underachieve or overachieve. Some team is going to have a ton of injuries. Some team is going to get a big break out from a few players.

Ah the randomness of life, that's why we watch I guess cause you just never know

All though I'm pretty sure we are gonna stink

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Ah the randomness of life, that's why we watch I guess cause you just never know

All though I'm pretty sure we are gonna stink

We will be just fine, fighting for playoff spot if Varly is healthy. We had gotten rid of 9 players that were on the roster last year and have replaced them with better prospects and signings. If Varly plays 50 games or so, we should be just fine.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
It's funny...because the Avalanche were THAT BAD last season, we can say they will be markedly better and also say they might still be at or near the bottom of the league standings. Even a 30-point swing sees them well, well out of the playoff picture. If they had finished with 30 more points last season that would only have them tied with Buffalo for 26th in the league.

They were that bad because all of those 9 players that were let go, did not even try to win and gave up. I am expecting Jost, Compher, healthy Z and others to make a lineup this season because I know that 1 mistake by Beuch or a few horrible penalties or mistakes by Comeau costed points for this team last season. One bad apple can influence other 4 players on the line. We can only win games if we play sound hockey as a unit of 5. Pickard also left us hanging with some of the easy goals that should have been easy saves by NHL standard goaltender.
Ask anyone, but on a paper this team looks much better then they performed last season. We just have to clear our team from bad apples and replace them with fast, young and most importantly hard working type players, we already have a few exciting prospects coming up this season. It should be fun watching Mironov, Compher, Jost, Kerfoot, Yakupov, and others in our roster that would probably try to give their best each night should be much better then playing with players that just looked like they quit playing in the middle of the game.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I expect us to be noticably better in a lot of ways, but still in the basement. I expect Detroit and Vegas will easily be worse, with Vancouver and Buffalo in the mix with us rounding out the bottom 5.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I expect us to be noticably better in a lot of ways, but still in the basement. I expect Detroit and Vegas will easily be worse, with Vancouver and Buffalo in the mix with us rounding out the bottom 5.

Buffalo shouldnt suck but I wont be mad if they do. That fan base has gotten way too damn cocky lately while still not making the playoffs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I know they like them some Landy and he's cheaper... a swap? Would the Avs pay him that? This mgmt?

:dunno: probably not. My opinion of what would make sense for the AVS isn't necessarily the same as what would make sense for Sakic. I think Carlo's value might be higher than EJ's at the moment though (due to age, contract and injuries), so that Carlo + Pasta package is worth probably more than the Landy + Ej one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad