Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Mr. Poke

Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying.

I could be wrong. The turnover in football is ridiculous, and rosters are far, far larger. A vast, vast portion of NFL players are guys we'll never hear about. The volumes are a bit different in other sports.

But why is that such a ridiculous notion? I mean, what does it matter where a good player comes from? And really, if a given team acquires no extra picks, they're taking on, what, seven players per draft? And they're not necessarily gonna sign all seven of those players. Conversely, they can sign as many as the contract limit allows.

And hey, y'know, sometimes these undrafted free agents pan out.

Hyperbole aside,

I just don't see it with how much scouting is improving. There is still a lot more obscurity in the Basketball and Football minor ranks IMO. The sheer amount of people playing those sports makes it difficult for them to unearth every dark corner. There is even more of a focus on using younger players in the bottom half of NHL rosters as well.

There is a big difference in saying there are plenty of examples of players bucking a trend, and saying something like that will become a new normal, as in the majority of a roster. It's just a giant stretch of the imagination game IMO. There would have to be some sort of serious shift to set things up. Maybe changing the draft age could cause this in some way, or I don't know, hockey equipment companies cutting their prices in half? Somehow the world gets rid of the bottom two financial classes, giving every young boy in the world an equal shot at Hockey as he has at any other sport? I'm reaching here.

You are either having a senior moment too early ;) or I am completely oblivious to whatever logic you are pulling from. You are welcome to enlighten me. :help: :sarcasm:

Oh, I have one! China and North Korea embrace hockey as their national sport. Start their own league, and refuse to let scouts from Europe and NA into their countries. ;)

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Players sign in Columbus and Winnipeg. We were one of the final 3 choices for Shattenkirk. This has nothing to do with signing a college free agent. We all know how irrelevant they are. I'm talking about ponying up the coin that a top free agent wants to fix a massive area of need.

I missed that about being one of Shatty's choices. But even if it was he has a reason, he's played here. What top free agent post glory years has even had a hint of coming here? It's not just the losing but guys from the east tend to not want to cone to a smaller western market. I doubt JT will be selecting based solely on money, he's going to get a great offer anywhere. If he wants to go to a rebuilding team he can stay where he is. Is the question should we offer him 12M and hope the highest offer wins if that's what he's motivated by? Are I guess we could try. But I doubt that's what's going to drive him. Either going home or winning probably will.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I missed that about being one of Shatty's choices. But even if it was he has a reason, he's played here. What top free agent post glory years has even had a hint of coming here? It's not just the losing but guys from the east tend to not want to cone to a smaller western market. I doubt JT will be selecting based solely on money, he's going to get a great offer anywhere. If he wants to go to a rebuilding team he can stay where he is. Is the question should we offer him 12M and hope the highest offer wins if that's what he's motivated by? Are I guess we could try. But I doubt that's what's going to drive him. Either going home or winning probably will.

There were in on Parise and Suter as well. They made it pretty far up the list if I remember correctly.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
In hockey, I don't know how much it's scouting that's improving and how much it's players being easier to scout. They are much more advanced when it comes to training, nutrition and tactical schooling than players at any point in the past.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So the Avs are apparently in on Kerfoot as well? Never heard of him either but that'd be cool.

It doesn't sound like teams are falling over themselves to go get Butcher. According to Custance, the Hawks haven't even called and some people were all but guaranteeing he was headed there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There were in on Parise and Suter as well. They made it pretty far up the list if I remember correctly.

They end up in the final handful of preferred teams on a lot of players lists actually. Radulov, Sutter, Parise, Stralman, Niskanen, Sekera, Hayes, etc. Problem is they can't close the deal. Sound familiar?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So the Avs are apparently in on Kerfoot as well? Never heard of him either but that'd be cool.

It doesn't sound like teams are falling over themselves to go get Butcher. According to Custance, the Hawks haven't even called and some people were all but guaranteeing he was headed there.

That is the word that is out there. Kerfoot is probably the best college UFA out there, so some competition will be out there.

It would surprise me a bit if Butcher isn't a Devil.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

No? The fact that this is even getting to city visits is already ridiculous.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You'd think there would be 30 teams lining up to sign a defenseman of Will Butcher's magnitude.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
They end up in the final handful of preferred teams on a lot of players lists actually. Radulov, Sutter, Parise, Stralman, Niskanen, Sekera, Hayes, etc. Problem is they can't close the deal. Sound familiar?

Don't forget Orpik :naughty:

But yeah it's pretty odd the whole not closing the deal trope and idea. I'm sure a lot of other teams do stuff like that and we don't hear about it as much but it does seem like the Avs especially have dealt with it lately. In addition to the FA's you pointed out there were the trade rumors like Neal and Kulikov etc. Combine that with the Duchene rumors forever and even the Barrie stuff. Weird stuff.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Sakic is rarely going to spill the beans publicly but that quote on Zadorov doesn't make it sound like it's a done deal.

“Both sides agreed to a two-year deal and we just have to figure out the numbers,” Sakic said. “We’ve got our NHL comps that we’re going with and he’s got to make a decision at some point on what he wants to do.”

Kinda interesting how he brings up the waiver priority as well.

“We’re a team that, on Nov. 1, because of where we finished, we’ll go look at the waiver wire as well and probably get one or two players from that as well.”

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
http://dpo.st/2iaNZKH

Sakic comments on Duchene, Zadorov, Butcher and D situation. Admits there's a 2 year term agreed on with Z but still need to agree on salary.

Also was interested to hear Sakic say he'll give Bigras, Mironov and Lindholm a shot to make the team but no mention of Siemens.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No? The fact that this is even getting to city visits is already ridiculous.

I guess it depends on how many teams are serious contenders for him vs. how many teams have actually shown interest but that doesn't seem like a lot. Some of the usual suspects (Leafs, Hawks, Wings) apparently haven't even called and all three of those teams could probably use young D.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Don't forget Orpik :naughty:

But yeah it's pretty odd the whole not closing the deal trope and idea. I'm sure a lot of other teams do stuff like that and we don't hear about it as much but it does seem like the Avs especially have dealt with it lately. In addition to the FA's you pointed out there were the trade rumors like Neal and Kulikov etc. Combine that with the Duchene rumors forever and even the Barrie stuff. Weird stuff.

I was going to mention Orpik lol. They did close on guys like Soderberg, PA, Redmond, FB, Iginla, Colborne, and Tyutin. Yeah some of those clearly didn't work at all, and failed the final year of the contract. However, my point is none of those players had extremely limited options at the time they signed with Colorado. Supposedly Radulov was theirs for the taking as well.

They do get some of the players they go after. This year they got Yakupov and Bernier, and I'm sure there were more teams than just the Avs willing to give both of them contracts.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Sakic is rarely going to spill the beans publicly but that quote on Zadorov doesn't make it sound like it's a done deal.

Kinda interesting how he brings up the waiver priority as well.

http://dpo.st/2iaNZKH

Sakic comments on Duchene, Zadorov, Butcher and D situation. Admits there's a 2 year term agreed on with Z but still need to agree on salary.

Also was interested to hear Sakic say he'll give Bigras, Mironov and Lindholm a shot to make the team but no mention of Siemens.

I seriously think they are looking at Vegas and thinking they'll pull a #4 or 5 from the waiver wire.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Duchene, meanwhile, is still on the trade block but Sakic is expecting him to attend Colorado's upcoming training camp.

F that.

I'll will be listening to offers. Right now it's quiet on all fronts, Sakic said. But I'll listen to offers on how we can get better. I'll never name names but I'll sit there and if something makes sense for the way we want to go, with our team, we'll really look at that.

How about YOU calling other teams and try to make it work around offers you've already received, Joe?

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Altitude used to go out and broadcast at that event. But I'll give Chambers credit for going there and getting some quotes at least.

He admitted looking at early waivers is an idea. Interesting.

hold3n

Registered Loser
Jul 15, 2011
London, ON
"We're a team that, on Nov. 1, because of where we finished, we'll go look at the waiver wire as well and probably get one or two players from that as well."

Announcer: "And now... introducing your 2017-2018 Colorado... WAIVERLANCHE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad