Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Here's another indicator. There is no Butcher thread on the prospects board. At no time did anyone think he was high profile enough to make one. There's a thread over there for anyone with even a speck of hype.

Also, for those that worry Jost didn't get stronger over the summer.

Jost has an O'Reilly like work ethic. He's one of few we shouldn't be worrying about.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jost has an O'Reilly like work ethic. He's one of few we shouldn't be worrying about.

Well to be fair, Matt Duchene probably has "better than O'reilly" like work ethic and we are on the verge of seeing both he, and O'Reilly not being part of this team anymore. Maybe we should worry about Jost :laugh:

We need more fatties. Give Zads an 8x8 contract, bring back Pepin, SOB and Martinsen and trade everybody with good work ethic for Kessel.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Work ethic doesn't make a player great. I've known some incredibly hard working players that could never make the NHL. The talent still has to be there. Jost will be a NHL player, and a good one... just because he works hard doesn't mean he will be ready by camp (I think he is 100% with the Avs, ready or not). It also doesn't mean he will be a star.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Well to be fair, Matt Duchene probably has "better than O'reilly" like work ethic and we are on the verge of seeing both he, and O'Reilly not being part of this team anymore. Maybe we should worry about Jost :laugh:

We need more fatties. Give Zads an 8x8 contract, bring back Pepin, SOB and Martinsen and trade everybody with good work ethic for Kessel.

For all the s**t Kessel takes, he's been money in the playoffs for two straight seasons now with Pitt (in truth, in the 5 years he's been in the playoffs, he's scored at almost a point per game). 45 points in 49 games in two years is awesome. The only two players who've topped him in playoff scoring over the past two years are Malkin and Crosby - both by one point.

Say what you will about his double chin, but when the games matter, the dude shows up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
For all the s**t Kessel takes, he's been money in the playoffs for two straight seasons now with Pitt (in truth, in the 5 years he's been in the playoffs, he's scored at almost a point per game). 45 points in 49 games in two years is awesome. The only two players who've topped him in playoff scoring over the past two years are Malkin and Crosby - both by one point.

Say what you will about his double chin, but when the games matter, the dude shows up.

He's a freak. Dude can crush a 6 pack of pepsi's and then go beat pretty much anybody in the NHL in a race. He's got one of the best shot releases of our generation.

I ****ing love Phil. One of my favorite hockey players.

member 116861

He's a freak. Dude can crush a 6 pack of pepsi's and then go beat pretty much anybody in the NHL in a race. He's got one of the best shot releases of our generation.

I ****ing love Phil. One of my favorite hockey players.

Guy is a ****ing athlete, to be able to do the same stuff as everyone else but better with all that extra weight is tough.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dude can crush a 6 pack of pepsi's and then go beat pretty much anybody in the NHL in a race.

He eats hot-dogs straight out of the Stanley Cup...

vHYnPVT.jpg

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
It irritates me I don't know how to put tweets in there like that, cause I have an interesting one. Don't know how credible this dude is (guessing not very), but he posted about Kerfoot leaning towards signing with the Avs. Just Twitter search #Avs. It's like a day old.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It irritates me I don't know how to put tweets in there like that, cause I have an interesting one. Don't know how credible this dude is (guessing not very), but he posted about Kerfoot leaning towards signing with the Avs. Just Twitter search #Avs. It's like a day old.

That would be neat, but I feel like Sakic was just feeling out if he could get a free C prospect. He probably pursued both, and now that he get one, I'm not sure he'll feel like he needs another. Very different players, obviously, but I think the Avs feel like they got what they were after.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
All ya gotta do is pull up the tweet by clicking on it so it pops up and the URL looks similar to this:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/896136373622587395

Then take everything after "status" and put it inbetween the

Thank you! And McMetal I definitely see your point. I feel SA is getting crowded and we still have STL guys coming in too. I wouldn't think there's much playing time available.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Work ethic doesn't make a player great. I've known some incredibly hard working players that could never make the NHL. The talent still has to be there. Jost will be a NHL player, and a good one... just because he works hard doesn't mean he will be ready by camp (I think he is 100% with the Avs, ready or not). It also doesn't mean he will be a star.

Well no, it certainly makes a incremental difference in the quality of their play and later on can play a big part in their relative career longevity, but no, work ethic cannot make a player great. The closest thing to an NHLer who made it on work ethic alone was Mike Keane.

Conversely, a supreme lack of drive or intensity can completely derail an otherwise talented player. That's why I still look at Wojtek Wolski with such frustration. Dude had game-breaking, elite talent. He could take over games when he wanted to...alas, he just didn't care enough.

Brett Hull might be the ultimate example of a guy who was overlooked initially and then excelled despite a less-than-stellar work ethic.

Still, I think it's nice to see someone truly want it enough to hone their craft (and their own fitness level) to the best of their ability. When they have the talent AND the work ethic, those are the ones you keep as long as possible.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well no, it certainly makes a incremental difference in the quality of their play and later on can play a big part in their relative career longevity, but no, work ethic cannot make a player great. The closest thing to an NHLer who made it on work ethic alone was Mike Keane.

Conversely, a supreme lack of drive or intensity can completely derail an otherwise talented player. That's why I still look at Wojtek Wolski with such frustration. Dude had game-breaking, elite talent. He could take over games when he wanted to...alas, he just didn't care enough.

Brett Hull might be the ultimate example of a guy who was overlooked initially and then excelled despite a less-than-stellar work ethic.

Still, I think it's nice to see someone truly want it enough to hone their craft (and their own fitness level) to the best of their ability. When they have the talent AND the work ethic, those are the ones you keep as long as possible.

There's different kinds of work ethic too. The on-ice motor of a guy like Nieto will probably keep him in the NHL for a while, but the work ethic on a guy like Jost is more about refining his skills and not accepting "good enough" in any area. It can manifest in different ways, but it's the reason why Nieto has an NHL contract right now and Grigorenko doesn't despite the clear gap in talent.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
it irritates me i don't know how to put tweets in there like that, cause i have an interesting one. Don't know how credible this dude is (guessing not very), but he posted about kerfoot leaning towards signing with the avs. Just twitter search #avs. It's like a day old.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Thank you! And McMetal I definitely see your point. I feel SA is getting crowded and we still have STL guys coming in too. I wouldn't think there's much playing time available.

Luckily we still have the Eagles who are a competently run team to send guys to and it won't ruin their development.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I would love to sign Kerfoot. Just for the name though, as one of the star players in the league I helped run last year was a Kerfoot; amazing skater, tiny dude, great hands. No apparent relation to Alex though (Donny played MJHL/AJHL, was from Winnipeg).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad