Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
He reads the game well, question of his upside because of his lack of physical tools. If he was either bigger or faster he would be considered a high end prospect

Cool, the way he's being talked about it's like he's Greg Zanon
Nice to hear some opposite opinions cause I haven't watched him too much

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Big Murray fan ? Why?

Not answering for him but he's a good, steady defenseman. He's not spectacular for a 2nd overall pick but he's someone you can rely on. We would buy low on him because of his injury history and Werenski "stole" his place in the depth chart. That would be very good for us, especially with the upcoming explosiveness on the right side with Makar and Timmins.

I see Murray as a future big minute muncher with a fairly decent offensive upside. Top 4 LHD.

Our future could look like:

Murray - Makar
Zadorov - Meloche
Bigras - Timmins

:nod:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Avs would do well to make a deal around a Carlsson package...but it doesn't matter. Sakic isn't going to trade him because he's too scared to make a deal. I predict we'll see MD on the Avs next season, further eroding his trade value, Sakic will once again have a high price in trade talks for him, refuse to budge or move him, then MD will come back in his final year of his contract, won't be traded at the deadline, and then he'll walk as a UFA.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not answering for him but he's a good, steady defenseman. He's not spectacular for a 2nd overall pick but he's someone you can rely on. We would buy low on him because of his injury history and Werenski "stole" his place in the depth chart. That would be very good for us, especially with the upcoming explosiveness on the right side with Makar and Timmins.

I see Murray as a future big minute muncher with a fairly decent offensive upside. Top 4 LHD.

Murray - Makar
Zadorov - Meloche
Bigras - Timmins

See, sending our best trade chip away for him as a centerpiece is not "buying low". That implies that we're paying less for him than he's worth. If anything, Columbus would be buying low on Duchene.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
See, sending our best trade chip away for him as a centerpiece is not "buying low". That implies that we're paying less for him than he's worth. If anything, Columbus would be buying low on Duchene.

But if he's part of a pkg with Bjork, Milano 1st , that's pretty decent

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Avs would do well to make a deal around a Carlsson package...but it doesn't matter. Sakic isn't going to trade him because he's too scared to make a deal. I predict we'll see MD on the Avs next season, further eroding his trade value, Sakic will once again have a high price in trade talks for him, refuse to budge or move him, then MD will come back in his final year of his contract, won't be traded at the deadline, and then he'll walk as a UFA.

Well, we have two whole years before we find out if you're Nostradamus. A lot of assumptions in that post, and since almost none of them can be verified except by the passage of time, we'll just have to wait and see.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I think thats how its going down aswell.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

We are buying low because he'd not be available otherwise. For the same reason guys like Hampus Lindholm aren't available.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I really do like his game, he just doesn't wow you physically. He's a middle playing guy that you like but wish was more toolsy.

Murray - Makar
Zadorov - Meloche
Bigras - Timmins

Cool, the way he's being talked about it's like he's Greg Zanon
Nice to hear some opposite opinions cause I haven't watched him too much

These are pretty accurate. The other crap is just crap hyperbole... I haven't bothered to chime in lately because some of the negative stuff being posted is just so far out there it's not even worth jumping in front of. People with that kind of opinion are not going to change it.

Now for the truth...

Murray was used in important defensive situations next to Jones. Leftwinglock isn't going to show Torts benching Werenski to put Murray next to Jones in order to hold onto leads.

The other factor? Savard and JJ have great chemistry and held up really well as their second pairing. Murray being on the bottom pairing was not his fault this year. Murray's advanced stats are going to suck when hes put in the most difficult situations for short periods of time, and expected to carry all of their randoms on the bottom pairing.

Right now hes kind of like a Hamonic before having his bad season, but he does still have some potential to develop his offensive game.

Edit : The legit reason to want nothing to do with him is not his talent. It's his injury history. It's pretty easy to argue that they are all fluke stuff, but someone that gets injured that often ends up as kind of a stands out. It's not one specific issue he keeps having.

If you buy on him you don't bank on him being more than a #3, and if he turns into a #2 at some point you thank your lucky stars. He'd be great next to one of our offensive minded right handers.

Last edited:

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
RL has been saying this for awhile but now I actually believe it now that Duchene isn't moving. Always loved him as a player, but after all this it just sucks.

Sucks, sucks next season is already lost to us and I don't know if we really have any direction.

Hope we don't waste MacKinnon here and we can compete eventually.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Murray was used in important defensive situations next to Jones. Leftwinglock isn't going to show Torts benching Werenski to put Murray next to Jones in order to hold onto leads.

Some people here do with Murray what others do with EJ on the main board: "he's a bad 1stOA, therefore he's useless".

Ryan Murray is what we wish Chris Bigras would be.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Some people here do with Murray what others do with EJ on the main board: "he's a bad 1stOA, therefore he's useless".

Ryan Murray is what we wish Chris Bigras would be.

That's not a bad analogy. Murray has always handled the physical battles better than Bigras though. That kid needs to find his man strength.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I hope nobody thinks that the only reason we might not make the playoffs next season is because we're not trading Duchene for scraps.

Sakic needs to make moves for the future, and trading a piece of our old core for garbage because we're worried that he might upset the balance of the locker room next year is pointless, reactionary, and probably harmful to the team in the long run.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My issue isn't Murray; it's getting one of PLD or Bjorkstrand with Murray, even if that means we add retention, take a cap dump, or even throw in a Bigras / Morrison. Murray next to Barrie could give us a competent D with Zads & EJ on the top pairing, and a useable third pairing...but I'd still want our first next season to go to a LHD. With PLD or Bjorkstrand I could get on board with Murray as the defensive piece; with anyone else, I'll be disappointed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My issue isn't Murray; it's getting one of PLD or Bjorkstrand with Murray, even if that means we add retention, take a cap dump, or even throw in a Bigras / Morrison. Murray next to Barrie could give us a competent D with Zads & EJ on the top pairing, and a useable third pairing...but I'd still want our first next season to go to a LHD. With PLD or Bjorkstrand I could get on board with Murray as the defensive piece; with anyone else, I'll be disappointed.

This is exactly how I feel as well. A young Jamie McGinn (Jenner) who actually had his lucky season instead of a legendary McPing season isn't the right piece coming along with Murray.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I hope nobody thinks that the only reason we might not make the playoffs next season is because we're not trading Duchene for scraps.

Sakic needs to make moves for the future, and trading a piece of our old core for garbage because we're worried that he might upset the balance of the locker room next year is pointless, reactionary, and probably harmful to the team in the long run.

The worry isn't Duchene causing a locker room distraction and the Avs miss the play offs.

The worry is Duchene plays like garbage for a full season. One 40 point season can be partially explained... Another terrible 40 point season and Duchene will be lucky to draw a first and C prospect next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad