Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Latest from Friedman:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-free-agency-buzz-rumblings-around-league/

There are bigger issues right now but we're going to need a goalie too. Maybe Bernier on a cheap one-year deal?

Bernier or Kinkiad if those are the only options left. Mind you for UFA back-ups Kinkiad is my no. 1 while Bernier is 2nd so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Niemi is a weird move for Pittsburgh but I guess "veteran, Cup winner" is a nice tagline.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Didn't Murray have really bad advanced stats last year?

Yes. And reading around, opinions of Murry seem to vary... widely to say the least.

As far as the "under 25 established top 4 D-men" we seem to have been targeting, he was at the bottom of my want list, but at this point, seems to be the only one still possibly available, with maybe the exception of Brodin.

Alexmandu

Jan 30, 2017
Would Dahlin be ready to go the season after he is drafted? Or would he need time to develop?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah put me in the camp that doesn't want Milano. He is certainly not a Bednar type of player. He would quickly be dropped down to 3rd or 4th line or even worst benched.

Well, one thing's for sure...Bednar would know.

Bernier or Kinkiad if those are the only options left. Mind you for UFA back-ups Kinkiad is my no. 1 while Bernier is 2nd so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Niemi is a weird move for Pittsburgh but I guess "veteran, Cup winner" is a nice tagline.

Kinkaid feels like a very Avs type of move. I could see it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

And just like that. :laugh:

Bernier will probably be the backup here. The Avs pro scouts have been really high on him before, especially one.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What is the worst case scenario other than Duchene not being being traded?

IMO adding to him to not get someone top shelf, taking a one for one and not getting someone top shelf, taking futures and not getting one blue chip or first. Basically the extreme of either ends. Meh roster players or meh futures.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Bernier will probably be the backup here. The Avs pro scouts have been really high on him before, especially one.

Met him last summer at my oldest boy's hockey camp....good dude.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I'd be good with that, not a terrible backup who can step in if/when Varly gets hurt. It's not like we are going to be winning much, so I guess it really doesn't matter who we sign to be the backup.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cooter... taking the chance the offense comes around.

He's going to be 25 this year so I think it might be safe to say some of those pre-draft scouting reports were accurate and this is what he is. I'd still take him but I'd do so expecting 35-40 points/season.

Who? Smith?

Isn't he going to want a legit deal with term though?

I'm sure he'll ask but who in their right mind is going to give Bernier that kind of deal? He's not very good.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's going to be 25 this year so I think it might be safe to say some of those pre-draft scouting reports were accurate and this is what he is. I'd still take him but I'd do so expecting 35-40 points/season.

He really hasn't been healthy the last two seasons (which is a concern), but the last couple seasons ppg equates to a ~46 point pace. If he could average that or nuge up to 50... I'd be thrilled. With his defense though, he'd be an elite 3rd liner at the very least.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Oh gosh is it really gonna be Bernier? I got so sick of him in Toronto I don't wanna see him end up here now. Ah well it wouldn't be the worse thing for a soft tank with him & Varly, at least I don't have to look at rumours and worry about us overpaying for Girardi or Daley or Williams or whomever.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Oh gosh is it really gonna be Bernier? I got so sick of him in Toronto I don't wanna see him end up here now. Ah well it wouldn't be the worse thing for a soft tank with him & Varly, at least I don't have to look at rumours and worry about us overpaying for Girardi or Daley or Williams or whomever.

Probably... They got Weircoch after all that time. Of all the rumored players they've liked for awhile I wish Little is the one they'd grab.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Don't worry it's for the greater good...we can't possibly lose the lottery twice in a row...right?

:sarcasm:

It would be so Avs for Duchene and Mack to bounce back next year. Lead the team to a first round exit. No Dahlen. Then the year after they're right back to being in a funk.

Duchene hurt in December 2018 so he can't even be moved at the deadline.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'd rather have McIsaac than Dahlen at this point since we already have Makar in the system now. Dahlin also might be subject to the Kylington/Liljegren hype treatment where any Swedish defensemen with great offensive tools gets the Karlsson tag but ends up falling in the draft rankings.

I just really like McIsaac's poise with the puck and his IQ. He can also play his own end which is always handy for a defensemen.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It would be so Avs for Duchene and Mack to bounce back next year. Lead the team to a first round exit.

I see it more as a bounce back bubble team year: still missing the playoffs but also missing on a top 10 pick.

Duchene hurt in December 2018 so he can't even be moved at the deadline.

Now that's another possibility...

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'd rather have McIsaac than Dahlen at this point since we already have Makar in the system now. Dahlin also might be subject to the Kylington/Liljegren hype treatment where any Swedish defensemen with great offensive tools gets the Karlsson tag but ends up falling in the draft rankings.

I just really like McIsaac's poise with the puck and his IQ. He can also play his own end which is always handy for a defensemen.
I like McIsaac a lot as well but you certainly do not pass on Dahlin just because we drafted Makar. Really not.

He is the best D prospect to come along in a long time right now. Atleast from what I have seen judging by his draft -1 year.

Last one who was as good as he was in his draft -1 year was probably Hedman..

Also Dahlin really is not all that bad in his own zone from what I've seen to say the least.
Recently quite a few Ds could not live up to their draft -1 hype but I expect Dahlin to atleast play as well as he did last season which IMO makes him the #1 pick unless Svechnikov goes full berserk in the OHL (which might just happen).

@ NEB:

Yeah that is kind of what I expect to happen as well unfortunately. Next years draft is great but picking at #14 with our pick would really, really suck...
Atleast Duchene would regain some value.

A smart GM would deal Duchene in December/ January at the latest if he starts off the season hot. Maybe even in November if someone on another team gets injured.

But not Sakic. He won't mess with a team that is doing well during the season. Really doubt it. So yeah.

Looking at it, keeping Duchene might just be the play. Either he helps us lose by being a problem for the lockerroom or he plays well and regains some value to get traded in December/ January. Could be a win-win if he can stay healthy and if we had a smart GM :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad