Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Still take that over Maatta + Sheary+ 1st personally quite easily but yeah both of them would suck and make a mockery of the "high asking price" everyone seems to say Sakic has...

But yeah I want nothing to do with Milano as well.

Ideally I want Murray , 1st + atleast one of Dubois (drop the 1st if he is involved) /Bjorkstrand/ or maybe Carlsson in return (not sure if he is good enough offensively to become an Ekholm kind of guy but if he is, I would cerrtainly take him). Maybe Abramov if our scouts really believe he can overcome his size. But I'd rather not.

True, the Pittsburgh package is just so bad that I don't even really consider it an option; whereas I can see Joe taking Murray, Milano & 1st and talking up how he finally got the right adds to the young LHD he was looking for this whole time.

I guess the only hope with Maata is that his injuries have slowed him down and he manages to fully recover from them. At the same time, that could be he hope for Murray as well. I'd actually be okay with gambling on Murray, I liked him leading up to his draft. I still think he's got the smarts and ability to be a very reliable #3. That's a type of player that could look amazing beside Makar if Makar manages to actually hit on his potential.

I'd much rather gamble on Murray than Maata, but if we can't get PLD or Bjorkstrand (maybe Abramov); that deal is still a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
GMGM hasn't been really known as a good trader throughout his years, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

He's still stuck with too many vet dmen. After trading his best defenseman for a song, he sure won't get much for the likes of Sbisa and Stoner.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
He's still stuck with too many vet dmen. After trading his best defenseman for a song, he sure won't get much for the likes of Sbisa and Stoner.

He'll just trade them in the cheap at the deadline.

He's not really required to move all these guys now. The draft is done. So any picks he gets are next years anyways.

Teams are always looking to have depth on d going into the playoffs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He'll just trade them in the cheap at the deadline.

He's not really required to move all these guys now. The draft is done. So any picks he gets are next years anyways.

Teams are always looking to have depth on d going into the playoffs.

A lot of them wouldn't pass through waivers, but I think teams are waiting to see if they strike out in free agency first. GMGM might be forced to sell them for a song in August.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A lot of them wouldn't pass through waivers, but I think teams are waiting to see if they strike out in free agency first. GMGM might be forced to sell them for a song in August.

Looks like his strategy of drafting a lot of dmen because they are in high demand is backfiring. He killed his own market right at the beginning with the Schlemko trade IMO. He also overestimated the demand for older, slower defensemen.

Good thing this market wasn't around 2-3 years ago when Roy and Sakic were paying high prices for guys like Beauchemin and Stuart. We'd have bought them all and emptied our draft pick supply for the next 5 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I fully agree with that but it's a tricky situation. Say we pick 4 again and the next best LHD is ranked 10 or 12, you can't reach like that.

That sort of a scenario is why I could get on board with the two 1sts + Sorokin/Beauvillier idea; or the collection of futures from Nashville. Gives us the ammunition to move up a pick or two and ensure that we get the best non-Dahlin LHD on our board...assuming we don't get enough lotto love to get Dahlin himself. I wouldn't mind "losing" both the duchene trade and the trade up for whoever we have #2, if it meant we could aim towards something like:

XXX - MacK - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - XXX
Greer - JTC - Morrison
Nieto - Beaudin - Henry

COL 1st - Meloche
Zadorov - Makar
Bigras - Timmins
Mironov | Lindholm | Boikov

Sorokin
Martin
Werner | Kvaca

with Shvyryov, Smirnov, Andrighetto, Grimaldi, one of those third liners; whatever we have left amongst those 2018 1sts, our picks after that; and the Barrie return to fill those last two holes in our top 6...but this would mean Sakic having to accept a package that doesn't include that young LHD that he's supposedly holding out for.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
  • Trade deadline
  • Draft
  • Last week in June
  • Free Agency period
  • Training camp
  • In season
  • Trade deadline 2018

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
  • Trade deadline
  • Draft
  • Last week in June
  • Free Agency period
  • Training camp
  • In season
  • Trade deadline 2018

I can only imagine if Duchene makes it to the next deadline...the same friggin' circus would start all over again for the 3rd time. :cry:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Just curious, Ive seen several posters say they are not a fan of Boone Jenner. What dont you like about him as a player?

I like Jenner. I think his 30 goal season created some expectations that are unrealistic. He's more of a second/third line tweener type of player.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
  • Trade deadline
  • Draft
  • Last week in June
  • Free Agency period
  • Training camp
  • In season
  • Trade deadline 2018

• Trade deadline
  • Draft
  • Last week in June
  • Free Agency period
  • Training camp
  • In season
  • Trade deadline 2018
  • Draft 2018
  • Last Week in June 2018
  • Free Agency period 2018

That last one is when I'll worry. If Sakic can't get a good return while Duchene can actually extend with his new team then it's reached a point of failure.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I still think Murray+Jenner+2018 1st is a pretty good deal. I posted basically that proposal a few weeks ago. I guess it depends on what you think of Murray. It gives Joe two solid young, NHL experienced guys and he can sell such a deal as getting younger while also improving the balance of the current group. Jenner would be a fan favorite, he's a leader, he can play wing or center, he popped in 30 goals just a season ago and as mentioned, he could really, really help Landeskog with the physical heavy-lifting. I guess like Landy sometimes he gets a little too aggressive but we need some of that.

I can just see it now. We make that trade, Varly & EJ stay healthy; MacK & Mikko take a big step with Ghetto or Grimaldi on their wing; Bednar sets Barrie loose with a partner who's job is just 'win the puck back for Tyson'; and gets Soda to give a s*** while playing with Landy & Compher/Jenner. Throw in a Kulikov signing + a colborne for legit 4th liner trade; and that's a team that ends up in a playoff spot the year they should be tanking for the LHD who would complete the defense o.t.f.

Say hello to your 2018 central division champion Colorado Avalanche:

*ghetto - MacK - Rantanen
Landy - Soda - Compher*
Comeau - Jost - Jenner*
Greer - *Colborne* - Nieto
*Grimaldi

Zads* - Johnson
Kulikov - Barrie
Murray* - Mironov
Barby/Lindy

Varlamov
Bernier

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So, lack of a hockey mind/IQ, or no 2 way game?

Sorry, I haven't seen him play at all, and don't remember much from his draft. But his AHL numbers looked solid this past year.

Yeah I don't think he is all that bright, and doesn't know how to apply any of his skill set or body in situations. Has a tendency to be a perimeter player and become disengaged. Amazing hands and a great skater though. It might click one day with him and he becomes a top liner in the NHL... he might be frustrating for 4-5 more years before going to Europe.

Defensively he is pretty poor, but that won't be where he makes his money.

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
That sort of a scenario is why I could get on board with the two 1sts + Sorokin/Beauvillier idea; or the collection of futures from Nashville. Gives us the ammunition to move up a pick or two and ensure that we get the best non-Dahlin LHD on our board...assuming we don't get enough lotto love to get Dahlin himself. I wouldn't mind "losing" both the duchene trade and the trade up for whoever we have #2, if it meant we could aim towards something like:

XXX - MacK - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - XXX
Greer - JTC - Morrison
Nieto - Beaudin - Henry

COL 1st - Meloche
Zadorov - Makar
Bigras - Timmins
Mironov | Lindholm | Boikov

Sorokin
Martin
Werner | Kvaca

with Shvyryov, Smirnov, Andrighetto, Grimaldi, one of those third liners; whatever we have left amongst those 2018 1sts, our picks after that; and the Barrie return to fill those last two holes in our top 6...but this would mean Sakic having to accept a package that doesn't include that young LHD that he's supposedly holding out for.

Exactly. The only LHD we should be holding out for is Hanifin (or someone not on the trade rumor radar of this caliber). We need that potential #1 LHD and we look great for the future. If we can't get Hanifin, I hate to say it, but we need another year of pure suck to ensure we get a top pick again.

I'm really curious what Sakic's plan is with all this. Is he even willing to suck again next year? Is he simply looking for a top4 D to fill out the roster this year and give us a fighting chance at a playoff spot immediately, or at least a drastic improvement to show fans something? I get the feeling he just wants a competitive team, and isn't willing to wait 5 years for Zadorov (22) throu to next year's 1st rounder (17 now) to reach 22-27 years old.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Yeah I don't think he is all that bright, and doesn't know how to apply any of his skill set or body in situations. Has a tendency to be a perimeter player and become disengaged. Amazing hands and a great skater though. It might click one day with him and he becomes a top liner in the NHL... he might be frustrating for 4-5 more years before going back to Europe.

Defensively he is pretty poor, but that won't be where he makes his money.

Thanks. Last thing the Avs need is another perimeter only player.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Say hello to your 2018 central division champion Colorado Avalanche:

*ghetto - MacK - Rantanen
Landy - Soda - Compher*
Comeau - Jost - Jenner*
Greer - *Colborne* - Nieto
*Grimaldi

Zads* - Johnson
Kulikov - Barrie
Murray* - Mironov
Barby/Lindy

Varlamov
Bernier

Battling for the lottery picks again! I love it! We really need to tank one more season for good measure.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Just curious, Ive seen several posters say they are not a fan of Boone Jenner. What dont you like about him as a player?

Maybe it's the fact he is a one year wonder. I guarantee he'll never hit that 30 goal plateau ever again in his career. He is a slightly better version of Jaime McGinn, so basically nothing special. He is your typical 35-40 pts middle six type.

It's not that he is a bad player, he just isn't anything great either, I'd rather have a riskier prospect with more upside. I wouldn't be pissed if we acquired him, but I wouldn't be thrilled either.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah put me in the camp that doesn't want Milano. He is certainly not a Bednar type of player. He would quickly be dropped down to 3rd or 4th line or even worst benched.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Maybe it's the fact he is a one year wonder. I guarantee he'll never hit that 30 goal plateau ever again in his career. He is a slightly better version of Jaime McGinn, so basically nothing special. He is your typical 35-40 pts middle six type.

It's not that he is a bad player, he just isn't anything great either, I'd rather have a riskier prospect with more upside. I wouldn't be pissed if we acquired him, but I wouldn't be thrilled either.

I personally really like Jenner. I think he'd end up working well with Jost, or MacK. He'd provide a bit more of that around the net, physical forward that we only have one of (Landy).

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
If you guys were to target a bigger 2way C to fit in with our young core who would you go after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad