Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXII|Deadline to Disappointment Impending

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ignoring what's happening in the league around you is exactly how you end up out of date & out of touch. The way to win is by copying (poorly) whoever won the most recent cup...regardless of whether you have the personnel to do so, or not.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Last thread ended with today's Spittin' Chiclets podcast so let's continue....

Blues are the toughest, most physical team in the league and are one win away from the cup. After Wilson's success in the playoffs last year, should we finally start getting bigger and tougher upfront if we want to go deeper in the post season next year?
Constantly shifting your focus to the flavor of the month team build is not the way to go. Chicago and Pittsburgh have won a combined five cups in the last decade based on speed and skill, there's more than one way to build a winner. And with the core pieces we have in place we should be doubling down on this style rather than reshuffling to try to get bigger and badder right when this core is near contending.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My UFA dream is to get two forwards. A stud (Panarin/Skinner) long term. And a stopgap under the radar player who can score goals beside Nate and Mikko who wants a one year prove it deal to inflate their numbers to cash in. Ferland would be my hope but if that doesn’t work perhaps there are others. I know these guys are nowhere near 1st line players but guys like Chiasson and even Brandon Pirri might be guys who score 20+ goals by surprise because of their linemates. Both of those guys can find the back of the net and won’t be play killers like Kerfoot.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
My UFA dream is to get two forwards. A stud (Panarin/Skinner) long term. And a stopgap under the radar player who can score goals beside Nate and Mikko who wants a one year prove it deal to inflate their numbers to cash in. Ferland would be my hope but if that doesn’t work perhaps there are others. I know these guys are nowhere near 1st line players but guys like Chiasson and even Brandon Pirri might be guys who score 20+ goals by surprise because of their linemates. Both of those guys can find the back of the net and won’t be play killers like Kerfoot.
I feel like Jost can be that under the radar guy next year tbh. It’s time

Reactions: Foxtail

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Constantly shifting your focus to the flavor of the month team build is not the way to go. Chicago and Pittsburgh have won a combined five cups in the last decade based on speed and skill, there's more than one way to build a winner. And with the core pieces we have in place we should be doubling down on this style rather than reshuffling to try to get bigger and badder right when this core is near contending.

I think we have the guys to contend, we just need to add a couple more pieces. I love our top line because they have the ability to score off the rush and with the cycle. It can be hard to score in the playoffs and that's why having Mikko and Mack is so huge for us. I absolutely believe you need some players who can score on the cycle in the playoffs, fortunately, our top guys can do that.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Listened to the Duchene chicklets interview and he mentioned a few times of things going on behind the scenes which was part of what made him need a change of scenery.

This isn’t new news to us or anything but he made it even more clear that the dressing room wasn’t working with him in it.

Max Talbot was on TV yesterday and when asked if Matt Duchene would be a good fit in MTL and didnt reply right away and said after a pause : I was Matt's teammate in colorado so i need to be carefull of what i will say. Matt's been really good with CBJ, but it was for a short period of time and in the playoffs where everyone intesity true the roof. Dont judge him only with what you saw there. If i'm Montreal he's the kind of guy that i would trade for at the TDL , i would think twice b4 giving him a long term contract.

sorry i have no link

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Panarin loves the Ocean. Some people are like that, they just prefer to live next to the Ocean. Too bad Colorado does not have an ocean next to it, we could have already signed the Breadman.

Reactions: Foxtail

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Max Talbot was on TV yesterday and when asked if Matt Duchene would be a good fit in MTL and didnt reply right away and said after a pause : I was Matt's teammate in colorado so i need to be carefull of what i will say. Matt's been really good with CBJ, but it was for a short period of time and in the playoffs where everyone intesity true the roof. Dont judge him only with what you saw there. If i'm Montreal he's the kind of guy that i would trade for at the TDL , i would think twice b4 giving him a long term contract.

sorry i have no link

Talbot: I need to be careful what I say.

Also Talbot:

giphy.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

sorry i have no link
Wow. Says a lot.

OT but Max Talbot is supposedly like one of everyone’s favorite teammates wherever he was. Apparently he bought a house directly behind everyone’s favorite bar in Pittsburgh basically so that everyone had a place to go when the bar closed and there was no chance in hell they could sleep lol. My kinda guy. Whatta teammate.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ferland is not under the radar. Guy is going to get paid this summer.
And I think that will be a mistake. He's a fine bottom sixer, but anybody paying him like a second liner is going to regret it. He's not a scorer. He'd be fine if all you expected was a Comeau type third liner, but people talking about him as a potential fix for our secondary scoring are out to lunch IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yep that sucks. Would have loved to get him. Kills the market too. Duchene and Panarin are gonna get paaaaid.

I figure Panarin will get paid regardless. Around $10M if you're one of the lucky tax free state teams and $11M for the others. So I don't know if this changes anything for him it certainly could for Duchene.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
At this point just come out swingin with Panarin and offer him $11-11.5. If he wants a 5yr $13m/yr deal he can have that too.

Reactions: Zolik37

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yep that sucks. Would have loved to get him. Kills the market too. Duchene and Panarin are gonna get paaaaid.

Yep, and this is what happens every time there appears to be a quality UFA class (they get signed before actually reaching UFA).

Can’t emphasize enough that Joe better had a GD plan for the team, because at this rate I don’t feel confident at all that there will be meaningful improvement.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
With Brock Nelson - and possibly Kevin Hayes and Jeff Skinner - possibly coming off the table, free agency might be shaping up to be a bit thinner than we all thought it would be.

Hopefully Sakic treads lightly in the cases of some of the more hyped up names. I'd much rather have two more years of Colin Wilson than a half-decade-plus of some guy putting up Colin Wilson numbers, but at three times the cost.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, and this is what happens every time there appears to be a quality UFA class (they get signed before actually reaching UFA).

Can’t emphasize enough that Joe better had a GD plan for the team, because at this rate I don’t feel confident at all that there will be meaningful improvement.
Tradezzzzzzzz

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Y3TI

Sep 28, 2017

I agree with the last part. I have a feeling he’s gonna save Poile’s butt on a Turris trade so they can sign Duchene ala the Wilson deal. I’m just scared of the cost

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I agree with the last part. I have a feeling he’s gonna save Poile’s butt on a Turris trade so they can sign Duchene ala the Wilson deal. I’m just scared of the cost

The only way I could see Colorado going after Turris is if they take Byram at #4, and other ideal options (Hayes or Kadri, for example) are no longer options.

I posted the other day - I do think Turris is going to bounce back, in a big way, due to the fact he was banged up the entire season. But that contract, with (5) years left, still makes him a gamble.

Reactions: Y3TI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad