Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVII|Crosby+MacK = Tim's Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I meant if the Avs bring in a Panarin, I have no issue with Kerfoot being in the top 6.

Reactions: cgf

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
So let's say 5 years or Hayes (even though I think we all figure it may be longer, but let's go w/ 5).

Here's how I could potentially see it playing out:

Year 1: 2C (Cozens or Turcotte are in the CHL or NCAA)
Year 2/Year 1 ELC: 2C (Cozens or Turcotte are likely in the NHL because the Avs tend to rush F prospects, but they're either playing W or 3rd/4th line C)
Year 3/Year 2 ELC: First possible year that Cozens/Turcotte could be in the 2C role, but let's say they split w/ Hayes for 2C role while also playing 3C
Year 4/Year 3 ELC: Hopefully solidified 2C role, Hayes down to 3rd/4th C (depending on what happens with Bowers)
Year 5/Post ELC Year 1: Same as above.

So there is one year on that type of plan where there's some overlap, however that's where we have buyouts if needed, or potential trades, the cap increases, etc.

So the AVs need a 2C, but there is no need to be aggressive to fill multiple positions. Assume the AVs entering the draft select (players can be debated):
  • 1st - F/D + BPA
  • 2nd/3rds - BPA + BPA + G
You're correct, there could be some overlap in signing a UFA while these prospects develop. There still plenty of options available:
  • Trades ie. Barrie, Kerfoot etc.;
  • Cap Space for dumps;
  • Makar;
  • Kamenev/Bowers/Kaut/Meloche/Timmins are a year closer;
I understand the urgency, but the most glaring is a 2C that can be filled by early next season. If Sakic can find a solution, this alone would be a success.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The way I see it you sign Hayes for 5-6 years in the 6M range. First 3 years he's the 2C. Year 4 he is a 2/3C as Cozens or Turcotte split time with him in the 2C role.

Year 5 and 6 Hayes becomes our new Soderberg in the 3C role.

Reactions: Grackle Party

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I meant if the Avs bring in a Panarin, I have no issue with Kerfoot being in the top 6.

Panarin is not coming

He wants:
  • Money. FL not only have the $$$, they pay little to no taxes COL cannot offer;
  • Location. Warm weather or big city to enjoy those riches with a familiar Coach.
FL makes too much sense for him.

Have Both.gif

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Panarin is not coming

He wants:
  • Money. FL not only have the $$$, they pay little to no taxes COL cannot offer;
  • Location. Warm weather or big city to enjoy those riches with a familiar Coach.
FL makes too much sense for him.

View attachment 220869
Meant it more as in a Panarin caliber type. A guy who can create his own offense and drive his own line.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
One thing to always keep in mind is that we currently have a ton of natural centers likely to be in the lineup/depth players next season in MacKinnon, Soderberg, Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, Kamenev, Toni, O'Connor, Dries, and Bowers. It's not unreasonable to think that one of those younger guys will develop into a genuine 2nd line center within the next couple of years. That's why I wouldn't be too broken up if the 2nd line player(s) we brought in were wingers rather than a center, especially if we draft a center at 4. Soda can probably fill that role for one more year if you add genuine top 6 wingers to his line, and there's still an outside chance that Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, or even Kamenev takes a big step in the offseason and comes out swinging next year. Honestly I think our issue this season was scoring depth rather than center depth.

Reactions: Tommy G

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
While I will not argue that Kerfoot is performing well right now, I still do not believe he's a viable piece in a contending team's Top-6 (let alone the top line). His shot is just not good enough and he's an easy person to gameplan against.

Again, he's doing well there right now, absolutely, I just don't see it as a longterm solution myself.

Completely agreed. But I just dont see us moving him anytime soon. Avs are really valuing team chemistry right now and Kerfoot adds to that a lot.

Ideally I'd like to see him and Jost together on a 4th line getting super soft offensive minutes next season while Hayes and Soda get the tough defensive matchups.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
One thing to always keep in mind is that we currently have a ton of natural centers likely to be in the lineup/depth players next season in MacKinnon, Soderberg, Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, Kamenev, Toni, O'Connor, Dries, and Bowers. It's not unreasonable to think that one of those younger guys will develop into a genuine 2nd line center within the next couple of years. That's why I wouldn't be too broken up if the 2nd line player(s) we brought in were wingers rather than a center, especially if we draft a center at 4. Soda can probably fill that role for one more year if you add genuine top 6 wingers to his line, and there's still an outside chance that Kerfoot, Compher, Jost, or even Kamenev takes a big step in the offseason and comes out swinging next year. Honestly I think our issue this season was scoring depth rather than center depth.

Unfortunately, any C drafted would need 2-3 years to fully develop.

Jost is still WIP. Compher is playing RW or 3C. Kerfoot is LW. Kamenev/Bowers are expected to be 3C or 4C. There is such an abundance of odd pieces, nothing in the system that can be considered 2C prospects. Soda can remain until the remainder of his contract and nothing...2C needs to be addressed, everything else involving the team can be evaluated at a later.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Those list of players there aren’t going to be 2C’s. Bowers has an incredibly small chance of being a 2C if he can figure out how to drive a line offensively. But betting on those guys to be our 2C would be the fastest way of wasting our contention window.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Unfortunately, any C drafted would need 2-3 years to fully develop.

Jost is still WIP. Compher is playing RW or 3C. Kerfoot is LW. Kamenev/Bowers are expected to be 3C or 4C. There is such an abundance of odd pieces, nothing in the system that can be considered 2C prospects. Soda can remain until the remainder of his contract and nothing...2C needs to be addressed, everything else involving the team can be evaluated at a later.

Those list of players there aren’t going to be 2C’s. Bowers has an incredibly small chance of being a 2C if he can figure out how to drive a line offensively. But betting on those guys to be our 2C would be the fastest way of wasting our contention window.

I sure wish I had the ability of you guys to predict player development with such certainty.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Landy - Mack - XXX
Compher - Hayes - Rantanen
Nieto - Soda - Calvert
XXX - Jost - XXX
XXX

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Cole - Makar
Barberio

That's how I'd like to see the lineup taking shape next season. I think you can fill the two XXX's on the 4th line and 13th forward slot internally pretty easily. Greer takes one of them and Kamenev the other, with one of O'Connor/Dries getting the 13th forward slot, although ideally I'd be going after a gritty 4th line guy to add some veteran presence to that group and move Greer down to the 13th forward spot who regularly rotates in for Kamenev or when injuries inevitably hit.

The XXX on the Top line is still the wild card, where I think Kerfoot is who the Avs likely have in mind for the Top 6 spot and I think we can still be a favorite in the West with him in that spot. However if we really wanted to push ourselves up the leaderboards an into true contender status, I think you would have to look pretty hard at trading for or signing another player for that role. I cant help but think Michael Ferland would be a damn near perfect fit in that slot. And if you can keep Kerfoot around getting soft offensive minutes with Jost on that 4th line you have a pretty damn deep forward group with some quality injury replacements in the Top 6 when injuries do occur.

And of course if we struck gold and landed Panarin for that XXX in the Top line you're instantly looking at a cup favorite next season.

That's how I see it. Make one move to get Hayes and I think this team can be a Western Conference favorite with an outside shot at winning the cup. Make two moves and bring in 2 Top 6 forwards and you could be looking at a legit cup contender as soon as next year. Potentially without even having to move #4 or #16(Or maybe #28 :naughty:) meaning we'll have cheap ELC depth coming soon to keep the window open.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think you can check Skinner and Panarin off that list. Panarin wants big city life with a beach, all those Florida rumours are probably going to come to fruition. Skinner doesn't seem like he wants to go anywhere that's all that far from home, doubt he comes out west.

Unless Dutch's departure and all the drama was a smokescreen, I doubt he's coming here. If we are lucky, we will add Hayes...and that'll be the biggest addition.

I honestly think that the Avs will stay the course, and Sakic will talk about waiting for the kids to develop.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I sure wish I had the ability of you guys to predict player development with such certainty.

None of them have the offensive capability or potential to be a true 2C. It’s just looking at a players skill set and having a general idea of what kind of player they will turn out to be.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
You're gunna need to explain to me how trading Barrie for Drouin & MTL's 1st would have nothing to do with having more picks...

I just replied to you because you were clearly disappointed that i didn't at first.

As for the trade proposal, it is unrealistic to begin with. We would never get that kind of package for Barrie.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just replied to you because you were clearly disappointed that i didn't at first.

As for the trade proposal, it is unrealistic to begin with. We would never get that kind of package for Barrie.

We would never get a mid 1st round pick and a very, very average 2nd liner for our elite offensive Dman?

The Avs would never move him for that package.

Reactions: MarkT

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

We're not predicting the future, but need to be realistic.

You shouldn't over value your prospects. Jost is still struggling, but if he reached his potential as a 2C we wouldn't having the discussion. Same with Grigorenko, Yakupov, Gelinas, Bigras and Siemens. Lots of potential and they missed.

AVs need to be aggressive on focusing on the player they need and keep filling the farm with prospects to improve the chances a player reaches their potential.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So let's say 5 years or Hayes (even though I think we all figure it may be longer, but let's go w/ 5).

Here's how I could potentially see it playing out:

Year 1: 2C (Cozens or Turcotte are in the CHL or NCAA)
Year 2/Year 1 ELC: 2C (Cozens or Turcotte are likely in the NHL because the Avs tend to rush F prospects, but they're either playing W or 3rd/4th line C)
Year 3/Year 2 ELC: First possible year that Cozens/Turcotte could be in the 2C role, but let's say they split w/ Hayes for 2C role while also playing 3C
Year 4/Year 3 ELC: Hopefully solidified 2C role, Hayes down to 3rd/4th C (depending on what happens with Bowers)
Year 5/Post ELC Year 1: Same as above.

So there is one year on that type of plan where there's some overlap, however that's where we have buyouts if needed, or potential trades, the cap increases, etc.

I'm no longer really a fan of the Hayes idea, but that 2nd 3rd year transition could be a lot more messy. Especially trying to contend. Coaches don't tend to trust the young guys easily when they are in win now mode. See what happened in Boston with Seguin as an extreme example of a skilled player trying to work his way up a playoff caliber lineup.

Although I guess since I'm no longer impressed with Hayes I should probably feel like he'll be easy enough to over take lol.

Then there is also what might happen when Soda gets mad about a diminished role again. Since seemingly in order to get your worth out of Hayes you have to give him the full tilt as the #2C. Which probably means 18ish minutes a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad