Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVIII| what's going on with the team ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Bit off-topic but curious.

For the undersized dudes or guys who had their growth spurt a lot later... did you play high school hockey or any level with a combination of age groups? How were they(teammates, not coaches) receptive to your size?

The reason I ask is that 99% of the time, guys on the team make a joke of taking out little guys at the tryouts and putting them in their place. Was always funny watching some 15 year old flying out there and then one of the 17 year olds launches him into next week.
I grew up playing club/travel and HS in CO. I was 5'7" at graduation.

Never had any issues with coaches. They seemed to play me more as the seasons went on. I'd play D most of the time and could get the puck up well so the coaches didn't mind. I had a nose for where to be and they liked that. Team mates were a different story. They'd tend to line me up quite a bit on late hits in practice and didn't seem to want to play on a line with me to much. I didn't mind it though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Makar isn't anything like Barrie play style wise. He's actually a pretty physical player and looks for hits. There have been plenty under 6 foot defensemen through the years, who hold their own in their own end. Big forwards arent a new thing in the NHL. Barrie struggles physically because he doesn't like playing physical so it's not part of his game.

TBF here... Barrie was known as a little guy who could lay the wood. More so than Makar is now. Barrie's game changed in the NHL.

That said, the mantra that you need a big physical defense has been disproven.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Listen buttercup, I’ve played contact sport for 15 years, got bones broken, played on sprained ACL, ****ed up ankles and so on, but I’m intelligent enough to realize where the NHL is trending, how teams are assembled, how important is moving the puck etc.

Furthermore, saying Makar projects to be worse than Barrie defensively or even poor defensively just shows you know jack ****.

Also hate the “uh ****ing millenials are ruining everything” takes. People who whine about them are worse ****ing whiners than the “snowflakes”. Also, guess what, your generation raised them so you’re not all that special and are responsible for how your offspring acts. Drop the holier than thou attitude already.

I believe that there is room for both speed/skill and size/strength on a good hockey team. Both can be positive assets to a team.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

For the undersized dudes or guys who had their growth spurt a lot later... did you play high school hockey or any level with a combination of age groups? How were they(teammates, not coaches) receptive to your size?

The reason I ask is that 99% of the time, guys on the team make a joke of taking out little guys at the tryouts and putting them in their place. Was always funny watching some 15 year old flying out there and then one of the 17 year olds launches him into next week.

I never hit a growth spurt. I'm not the smallest at 5'9, but especially at higher levels was always one of the smaller guys on the team.

My strategy was just to be the biggest piece of shit on the ice. My goal was to make everyone else scared to run me. When I was younger I would get smoked a lot because I liked to overhandle the puck like crazy. As I got older I decided that if someone was going to try to go after me I was going to try to take their head off.

End of the day I'm not sure if it was the right move or not. I got into way more confrontations this way, and have probably spent years of my life in a penalty box. If I did it over I would probably try to play the right way.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The Lightning are clearly the best team in the league by a solid margin right now and they definitely aren’t a “big” team. Skill and smarts are what matter most, now in saying that you still need some size in your lineup but it’s way less important than it used to be. Now obviously the ideal situation is getting someone like Malkin/Hedman who are big guys who can skate and have oodles of talent. But obviously those players are hard to get.

I think the Avs are fine size wise defensively. Where I think they could use an extra big guy or 2 is in the bottom 6. Switch Ghetto out for a solid bottom 6’er who’s 6’2 225 and I think that’d be awesome.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
TBF here... Barrie was known as a little guy who could lay the wood. More so than Makar is now. Barrie's game changed in the NHL.

Barrie was probably one of the most underrated guys in the Dub at laying the hammer when he was there.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I was never a big guy, but don't remember too many launches into next week. :D

Never had a single problem with any teammate, due to size. I don't remember any other small player having that issue either. I do remember players - of any size - having issues with their teammates when they played like s**t.

The one part of the game that I sometimes found difficult for a small defenseman, was when we played a team with big forwards who cycled the puck well. That got both frustrating and tiring at times.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Regardless of my stature I had the utility of being able to draw a penalty off Gandhi.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Maybe not an overly big or physical D core, especially in the regular season, but you still need a few big guys that aren't pylons, and their physicality ramps up a lot in the playoffs.

Last 10 Cup winners:

2018 Caps
Carlsson - 6'3" 218lbs
Orpik - 6'3" 217 lbs
Niskanen - 6'1" 203 lbs

2017 Pens
Cole - 6'1" 219 lbs
Hainsay - 6'3" 205 lbs
Maata - 6'2" 206 lbs

2016 Pens
Cole - 6'1" 219 lbs
Dumolin - 6'4" 207 lbs
Maata - 6'2" 206 lbs

2015 Blackhawks
Seabrook - 6'3" 220 lbs
Hjalmarsson - 6'3" 197 lbs
Rozsival - 6'1" 210 lbs

2014 Kings
Greene - 6'3" 236 lbs
Mitchell - 6'3" 210 lbs
Muzzin - 6'3" 213 lbs
Regehr - 6"3" 222 lbs

2013 Blackhawks
Seabrook - 6'3" 220 lbs
Leddy - 6'0" 207 lbs

Greene - 6'3" 236 lbs
Mitchell - 6'3" 210 lbs
Scuderi - 6'1" 212 lbs

Chara - 6'9" 250 lbs
Boychuk - 6'2" 227 lbs
McQuaid - 6'4" 210 lbs

2010 Blackhawks
Byfuglien - 6'5" 260 lbs
Seabrook - 6'3" 220 lbs

2009 Pens
Gill - 6'7" 243 lbs
Boucher - 6'3" 218 lbs
Orpik - 6'3" 217 lbs
Gonchar - 6'2" 210 lbs
Scuderi - 6'1" 212 lbs

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I dont trip out over the Avs size but still id be way more comfortable going fwd if we had a couple bigger dudes in the top 9 , esp if we have expectations of doing serious battling in the playoffs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I dont trip out over the Avs size but still id be way more comfortable going fwd if we had a couple bigger dudes in the top 9 , esp if we have expectations of doing serious battling in the playoffs.

Yeah this is where I stand. Defensively we’re fine size wise but we could use a forward or two that’s 215+.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

If there's interest in Talbot then someone might be willing to take on Varly.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm much more concerned with our size up front than on the backend. I'm no size queen but we have too many Jost/Kerfoot/Sven/Nieto sized guys, need some big bodies even if they're not overly physical.

*cough* Hayes *cough*

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Benning tried his best to overpay Lucic but Chiarelli wouldn't be denied. He'll make up for it by giving Ferland $6.5M/yr this summer.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I'm much more concerned with our size up front than on the backend. I'm no size queen but we have too many Jost/Kerfoot/Sven/Nieto sized guys, need some big bodies even if they're not overly physical.

*cough* Hayes *cough*
Call Greer up and play him as well

Reactions: klozge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad