Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVIII| what's going on with the team ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
EJ:6’4 230
Cole: 6’1 220
Zadorov: 6’6 235
Nemeth: 6’4 220

We’re fine size wise defensively.

2019 Avs
Zadorov - 6’5” 230 lbs
Johnson - 6’4” 225 lbs
Cole - 6’1” 219 lbs
Nemeth - 6’3” 219 lbs

Edit: I dont know why i posted this.

I want Graves and his beautiful 6’5”, 230 pound frame in there, too.

Also, Meloche is 6’2” but as mean as a 6’8” goon. Promising.

I think Makar and Timmins are p***yes, though. We already have two p***yes in Girard and Tyson(he wouldn’t even be offended).

Need to have a good balance between snowballs and snowflakes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh there's definitely interest in Varly. Of course there is. Far worse goalies have garnered interest, and one of them just got locked down for a lucrative multiyear deal with TRADE PROTECTION after, what, 31 games...?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think Makar and Timmins are *****es, though. We already have two *****es in Girard and Tyson(he wouldn’t even be offended).

Now on the forward side of things we only have Landy, Mikko, Soda and Mack that bring any size and that’s an issue.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ:6’4 230
Cole: 6’1 220
Zadorov: 6’6 235
Nemeth: 6’4 220

We’re fine size wise defensively.

Yes we are, but the point is it's still important to have guys like that on your blueline in the playoffs. It hasn't been disproven because the Cup winning teams still have guys like that to play those roles.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yes we are, but the point is it's still important to have guys like that on your blueline in the playoffs. It hasn't been disproven because the Cup winning teams still have guys like that to play those roles.

I don’t think anyone’s disagreeing, you have to have the right mix. Can’t have to many big guys or small guys.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t think anyone’s disagreeing, you have to have the right mix. Can’t have to many big guys or small guys.

There is a notion out there that the league has changed so much that you don't need big physical defenseman, if you have a bunch of skilled but smaller puck movers. I agree you need the right mix of both, but many undervalue the role of the big defenseman in the playoffs. Almost to the extent to suggest you don't need them at all.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Now on the forward side of things we only have Landy, Mikko, Soda and Mack that bring any size and that’s an issue.

I think the more concerning issue is still a lack of skill. No viable 2nd line and no real "shutdown"-type forwards. It still feels like it's one elite top line followed by a mix of 3rd/4th line guys, doesn't really matter how big or small they are.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the more concerning issue is still a lack of skill. No viable 2nd line and no real "shutdown"-type forwards. It still feels like it's one elite top line followed by a mix of 3rd/4th line guys, doesn't really matter how big or small they are.

I think it's both. If the bigger guys like Wilson and Calvert were more effective, and more skilled, they would help the smaller tweener forwards a lot more.

The Avs have some skilled forwards, but they're not creating enough space for themselves, and they don't have enough poise with the puck in the traffic areas. This leads to them not finishing a lot of good chances.

A more effective Wilson/Calvert would create a lot more chaos down low, and probably lead to more goals because either they or the smaller guys have more time to settle the puck and pick a spot to shoot at.

As it is, more often then not when the Avs grab a rebound they rush the passes or shots and put them into the goalies chest or pads.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think having a legit 2nd line would put a lot of players in more suitable roles. Like Compher, WilsonNieto and Calvert would be on the 3rd and 4h lines.

I mean hypothetically this summer we end up with:
Top Line
X-Hayes-Stone
Nieto-Soda-Compher
Calvert-Kamenev-Greer

And add either a top prospect with the Ottawa 1st or add another top 6 player via FA/ trade I think that’s a pretty solid well rounded fwd core. Still needs some work but it’d be loads better than what we have now.

Reactions: Foppberg

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
LMAO.

You can have a team full of princesses. I will take a team full of beasts and let's see who wins in a 7 game series.

Give your head a shake.

Just because you make your kids wear bubblewrap and helmets outside doesn't mean that physical play doesn't belong in sports anymore.

It's a shame millennials have to ruin everything and turn contact sports into glorified touch hockey.

So I get TBL and you get LA. Seems legit haha.

Also way to project your own personal insecurities on a hockey puck avatar poster you know nothing about lol

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
No Soda leaves in a couple years so then he doesn’t get re signed. And you still have room for Kaut and Bowers. Especially considering it looks like Bowers/Kaut/Timmins won’t be part of the trade for Hayes.

I'm just saying in general. Like Mikko is about to easily make 10M+ if he wants, and if the Ott 1st becomes a real start player he could get anywhere from 7-11m on his 1st out of ELC deal. It can disappear real quick haha.

Thats why is Hayes signs a year with 3 years of term or less he could make whatever AAV he wants, but once you get in the 4 and 5s your have to start being careful.

Reactions: Waingro

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
No you just let Soda walk, and use Bowers in his spot.

I mean if you get Hughes, Cozens, Dach etc this year then that is likely your 2c at that point and Hayes is just the tailor made 3c. Thats what makes Hayes such a great fit, he can be a 2c why the kids develop and then afterwards he becomes 3c and it works the whole time. If Bowers develops, hopefully you don't sign Hayes for longer than 3-4 years and you are just super deep and center.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think having a legit 2nd line would put a lot of players in more suitable roles. Like Compher, WilsonNieto and Calvert would be on the 3rd and 4h lines.

I mean hypothetically this summer we end up with:
Top Line
X-Hayes-Stone
Nieto-Soda-Compher
Calvert-Kamenev-Greer

And add either a top prospect with the Ottawa 1st or add another top 6 player via FA/ trade I think that’s a pretty solid well rounded fwd core. Still needs some work but it’d be loads better than what we have now.

I think the Avs really only need 1 real UFA signing. Lets say Stone. Also lets assume the Avs get a top 5 pick and its Cozens.

Top line
Kerf/Cozens/Stone
Compher/Soda/Kaut
Kam/Bowers/Jost
Nieto/Calvert/Greer/Sven

Like that isn't entirely unrealistic next year and super realistic the year after. You have a ton of options and depth and didn't need to do much.

Reactions: MrPeePee

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think Makar and Timmins are *****es, though. We already have two *****es in Girard and Tyson(he wouldn’t even be offended).

Timmins and Makar are definitely bigger and grittier than Girard and Barrie though. I don't think they'll have the same problems physically with bigger forwards.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm just saying in general. Like Mikko is about to easily make 10M+ if he wants, and if the Ott 1st becomes a real start player he could get anywhere from 7-11m on his 1st out of ELC deal. It can disappear real quick haha.

Thats why is Hayes signs a year with 3 years of term or less he could make whatever AAV he wants, but once you get in the 4 and 5s your have to start being careful.

If you sign Hayes for 5 years Makar and whoever we get with the OTT pick won’t need to be signed for 3 years at the earliest. During those 3 years we’ll lose Soda’s, Nieto’s, and Barberio’s cap hits.

Soda and Barbie almost 100% don’t come back. We have to re sign Barrie and Girard and we don’t know what the deal Barrie is yet and whether he’ll be re signed. Girard will but so far he’s had one good year and a bit of a sophomore slump. I’d like us to sign him long term but who really knows how much he’ll be worth at that point.

Basically signing Hayes won’t cripple this team. He brings tons of flexibility and can play a multiple roles for us: 2C, 3C, 2W, 3W.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m so curious to see what Sakic does about this goaltender situation. On one hand, he’s said you need two proven guys if you want to win (even though they both suck right now) and it appeared to be zero chance that he would trade Varlamov. On the other hand you know if you don’t give Frankie a chance he is 100% going elsewhere and you end up saying goodbye to both Frankie and Varly in July.

I feel like Sakic has a plan, but I have no idea what that is.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If you sign Hayes for 5 years Makar and whoever we get with the OTT pick won’t need to be signed for 3 years at the earliest. During those 3 years we’ll lose Soda’s, Nieto’s, and Barberio’s cap hits.

Soda and Barbie almost 100% don’t come back. We have to re sign Barrie and Girard and we don’t know what the deal Barrie is yet and whether he’ll be re signed. Girard will but so far he’s had one good year and a bit of a sophomore slump. I’d like us to sign him long term but who really knows how much he’ll be worth at that point.

Basically signing Hayes won’t cripple this team. He brings tons of flexibility and can play a multiple roles for us: 2C, 3C, 2W, 3W.

Tor probably didn't think Marleaus 3 year deal would hurt them either but here they are. Mikko could get double digits, Makar, Kaut, Ott 1st could all get big money. In 3 years Gabe is a UFA. Also for every player play that leaves their spot will have to be filled.

My points are just these:

-Cap disappears far faster than you think and with guaranteed contracts once you're locked in you are locked in and stuck there. So you had better get it right the first time or handicap your team for multiple years.

-Cap should be distributed by position essentially. If Stone get paid like a 1st liner but produces like a 1st liner your are probably good. However if Hayes gets paid like a 2nd liner but produces like a 3rd liner then you have a bad deal weighing your club down, so you had better get them right.

-If you have a lot of talented young players you should account for the possibility that they become talented NHL players, in which case you will have to pay them as such. We saw with Mikko how in a blink of an eye a 10th round pick becomes a superstar and while you may have though he'd get 5.5-6.5 in the past will all of a sudden will make 10.

Every bad contract cripples a team little by little and you don't notice its too late until you're stuck.

Drafting/Dev is the most important part of building a hockey team, to get and maintain enough talent to win. The second most important is cap management, which will determine how many of those talented players you can keep and for how long. You can make a great team but injuries and luck are a big part of the playoffs, so you want a team that can compete for many years if you really want the best shot at winning, as a lot of the time the team that goes to the Cup final is the one with the easiest path and/or the least amount of injuries.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I’m so curious to see what Sakic does about this goaltender situation. On one hand, he’s said you need two proven guys if you want to win (even though they both suck right now) and it appeared to be zero chance that he would trade Varlamov. On the other hand you know if you don’t give Frankie a chance he is 100% going elsewhere and you end up saying goodbye to both Frankie and Varly in July.

original.gif

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

You do know that Varly is getting a 6-year extension during the ASG break?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm fine with trading Varly for a 2nd+minor league goalie. If Francouz fails at the NHL level at least they know what they have in him. The alternative, him walking this summer without even getting a cup of tea after the season he's having in the AHL, would be a very bad look for Sakic.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Tor probably didn't think Marleaus 3 year deal would hurt them either but here they are. Mikko could get double digits, Makar, Kaut, Ott 1st could all get big money. In 3 years Gabe is a UFA. Also for every player play that leaves their spot will have to be filled.

My points are just these:

-Cap disappears far faster than you think and with guaranteed contracts once you're locked in you are locked in and stuck there. So you had better get it right the first time or handicap your team for multiple years.

-Cap should be distributed by position essentially. If Stone get paid like a 1st liner but produces like a 1st liner your are probably good. However if Hayes gets paid like a 2nd liner but produces like a 3rd liner then you have a bad deal weighing your club down, so you had better get them right.

-If you have a lot of talented young players you should account for the possibility that they become talented NHL players, in which case you will have to pay them as such. We saw with Mikko how in a blink of an eye a 10th round pick becomes a superstar and while you may have though he'd get 5.5-6.5 in the past will all of a sudden will make 10.

Every bad contract cripples a team little by little and you don't notice its too late until you're stuck.

Drafting/Dev is the most important part of building a hockey team, to get and maintain enough talent to win. The second most important is cap management, which will determine how many of those talented players you can keep and for how long. You can make a great team but injuries and luck are a big part of the playoffs, so you want a team that can compete for many years if you really want the best shot at winning, as a lot of the time the team that goes to the Cup final is the one with the easiest path and/or the least amount of injuries.
They'll be OK. $30M come off the books in expiring contracts in next 2 years (that includes Barrie), and they have projected $50M in cap room, based on this year's cap, for 20/21. The cap will likely go up another $8M-$10M by then. Sure they have to re-sign Mikko, Z, G, and JTC soon, but only Mikko is going to get a huge raise. They should have plenty of room to add someone like a Hayes.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Ya know i was ok with a Pulju -Jost swap but i cleary havent watched Poolparty in a while cause he suuuucks. At least Jost gets some scoring chances , party cant even get around the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad