Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVIII| what's going on with the team ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
so with Jost being sent down do you think we are ready to make a hockey trade?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think they'll add a depth forward just for some insurance for injuries. I think they are interested in Hayes but I think Hayes probably played himself out of a price the Avs are comfortable paying at deadline.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The thing people need to realize with Jost is if he sucks in the AHL he might never get out of there. I agree to send him down but he might never come back or it could take several years. See Michael Dal Colle.

Reactions: Tike Myson

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The thing people need to realize with Jost is if he sucks in the AHL he might never get out of there. I agree to send him down but he might never come back or it could take several years. See Michael Dal Colle.

Yeah, to be honest though, I doubt we'll even miss him if that's the case. I hope the best for him, but he's entered project territory and needs to be treated as such.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, to be honest though, I doubt we'll even miss him if that's the case. I hope the best for him, but he's entered project territory and needs to be treated as such.
I know. From now on he'll have to be better than the next guy in line to get a roster spot with the AVS. That's big.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Pretty much this. Either he gets it together, he gets traded to a team that wants a reclamation project, or he becomes an AHL forward/goes to Europe. He’s not helping the Avs right now so this needs to be done no matter what becomes of him.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Still seems like it’s worth the gamble vs keeping him on the AVS roster

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sorry for the two posts in a row...but I've seen comments in a couple of threads regarding us going after Quick and I thought this might be the best place to ask a couple of questions....
1. What would be the cost to get him?
2. Is that cost worth it? He's not exactly young and not in the age range of our core.
3. Shouldn't the Avs be actually trying to see what that have in Frank before making a move for a goalie?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah but who blows him out of the water in that department? Toninato? O'Connor? Agozzino?

Not saying they shouldn't have sent him down. I think it was a good move, but I don't think it helps the Avs much. It helps him.

Internally, if the Avs want a winger replacement for him, Greer. If they want a center it should be Toninato. He should be here instead of Dries anyways.

I haven't given up hope that snow-blower Joe knows what a phone is and maybe he can call around and make a trade....but yeah, that hand suffered severe damage when he decided he really didn't want to play out his contract.

If Borque is still the replacement come next Wednesday when we play the Wild, I will be pissed.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Internally, if the Avs want a winger replacement for him, Greer. If they want a center it should be Toninato. He should be here instead of Dries anyways.

I haven't given up hope that snow-blower Joe knows what a phone is and maybe he can call around and make a trade....but yeah, that hand suffered severe damage when he decided he really didn't want to play out his contract.

If Borque is still the replacement come next Wednesday when we play the Wild, I will be pissed.

I want Greer to get a shot as much as you, but for whatever reason, he hasn't exactly done much in his callups either.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't call anyone up. The Avs don't have a road game until Feb 7th. The Eagles are at home until the 21st which is when the Avs play two games from now. So I can see them standing pat for at least the LA game unless they need an emergency callup.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
In most years this season would be already gone for the Avs. The Central is generally cut throat and 6 weeks of pathetic hockey would normally end any playoff chances. This year, the division is pathetic. Unless Dallas turns it around in the next 8 minutes, Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, and Minny will all have lost again tonight.

That fact makes it doubly frustrating Sakic has done nothing to help this team. Both wild card spots and the third spot in the division are wide open, right there for the taking. It might honestly never be easier to make the playoffs, and I really do think making the playoffs again this year would be huge for this franchise. This team has not actually made the playoffs in back to back seasons since before the 2004-05 lockout. That's how pathetic they've been...and there's an opportunity right here this season to end that nearly one-and-a-half decades of failure. Send the message that this team is actually turning a corner and making the playoffs last year was not just a one and done.

Based on the tone in Dallas I don't think their upper level management will tolerate losing for much longer, I have to think they'll try something soon. Would be nice if Sakic, even if it should have been done months ago, might actually make a push to help this club out right about now. A quality centre would be a great start, or a competent goalie (Quick).

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Sorry for the two posts in a row...but I've seen comments in a couple of threads regarding us going after Quick and I thought this might be the best place to ask a couple of questions....
1. What would be the cost to get him?
2. Is that cost worth it? He's not exactly young and not in the age range of our core.
3. Shouldn't the Avs be actually trying to see what that have in Frank before making a move for a goalie?

I'm guessing it'd start with the Avs' 1st rounder. He's an older goalie, he won't be fetching an elite prospect or something like the Sens pick. I'd guess the 1st, with a top 10 protection on it, plus a prospect for a start. Whether that's a Meloche, Timmins, Bowers, Greer, etc. prospect I'm not too sure.

I think the cost would be worth it. He will be 33 very shortly, but I think goalies can play into their late 30s before you have to start worrying. The injuries should be concerning -- specifically the 2016/17 season -- but he's had a stable save percentage. Since 2014, .918, .918, .917, .921, and a great playoff record. He'd stabilize the net for the next ~3 years or so, which is a pretty important couple seasons upcoming.

I do think so...which is why I thought they should have shipped Varlamov out in November like I was advocating, and seen what they had with Francouz much earlier. But at this point, even if they don't make a goalie trade, when is Francouz even going to get a start....? The season is half over. Maybe they'll call him up tomorrow and give him a real, extended look, but so far Bednar's seemed to prefer to lean on Varlamov and what he knows. If making the playoffs is the priority this year -- and I think it should be -- then Quick would be the best option.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
In most years this season would be already gone for the Avs. The Central is generally cut throat and 6 weeks of pathetic hockey would normally end any playoff chances. This year, the division is pathetic. Unless Dallas turns it around in the next 8 minutes, Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, and Minny will all have lost again tonight.

That fact makes it doubly frustrating Sakic has done nothing to help this team. Both wild card spots and the third spot in the division are wide open, right there for the taking. It might honestly never be easier to make the playoffs, and I really do think making the playoffs again this year would be huge for this franchise. This team has not actually made the playoffs in back to back seasons since before the 2004-05 lockout. That's how pathetic they've been...and there's an opportunity right here this season to end that nearly one-and-a-half decades of failure. Send the message that this team is actually turning a corner and making the playoffs last year was not just a one and done.

Based on the tone in Dallas I don't think their upper level management will tolerate losing for much longer, I have to think they'll try something soon. Would be nice if Sakic, even if it should have been done months ago, might actually make a push to help this club out right about now. A quality centre would be a great start, or a competent goalie (Quick).
But just think how good Sakic will look if the Avs do make the playoffs this year while doing nothing :naughty::naughty::naughty:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Even if we need secondary scoring in a bad way, I feel like defense is hurting us worse right now (aside from goaltending). Z is the only one playing well...we don't know which EJ we're gonna get, Barrie has been a trainwreck, Girard has slowed down considerably, Cole has slowed down considerably, Barberio is a nightmare, Nemeth hasn't been good when healthy. I know Makar and maybe Timmins are coming but we really need an upgrade on Barbie and Nemeth.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Even if we need secondary scoring in a bad way, I feel like defense is hurting us worse right now (aside from goaltending). Z is the only one playing well...we don't know which EJ we're gonna get, Barrie has been a trainwreck, Girard has slowed down considerably, Cole has slowed down considerably, Barberio is a nightmare, Nemeth hasn't been good when healthy. I know Makar and maybe Timmins are coming but we really need an upgrade on Barbie and Nemeth.

So basically we need:

- A second line
- A starting goalie
- New defensemen

If true we might as well pull the plug this year because there's no way to fix all that via trades.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
So basically we need:

- A second line
- A starting goalie
- New defensemen

If true we might as well pull the plug this year because there's no way to fix all that via trades.

Of course not, but maybe one of a competent d-man or goalie can help stop the bleeding a bit, which keeping the puck out of our own net seems to be the biggest fire during this slide.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
To Col:
Muzzin
Quick
Toffoli

To LA:
Colorado 2019 first
Colorado 2020 first
Jost
Timmins
Varlamov

The 2019 pick will likely be in the 20-25 range vs the 25-31 range, Jost is still super young and is just lack confidence, Timmins has a fairly large ceiling with a great tool box, 2020 first is a mystery box and Varlamov as a potential stop gap/extra trading chip before the deadline. Am I close or completely out to lunch?

Landy-MacK-Rants
Toffoli-Soda-Compher
Wilson-Kerfoot-Andrighetto
NoOne-Really-Cares
Zadorov-Barrie
Cole-Johnson
Girard-Muzzin
Quick
Grubauer

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
To Col:
Muzzin
Quick
Toffoli

To LA:
Colorado 2019 first
Colorado 2020 first
Jost
Timmins
Varlamov

The 2019 pick will likely be in the 20-25 range vs the 25-31 range, Jost is still super young and is just lack confidence, Timmins has a fairly large ceiling with a great tool box, 2020 first is a mystery box and Varlamov as a potential stop gap/extra trading chip before the deadline. Am I close or completely out to lunch?

Landy-MacK-Rants
Toffoli-Soda-Compher
Wilson-Kerfoot-Andrighetto
NoOne-Really-Cares
Zadorov-Barrie
Cole-Johnson
Girard-Muzzin
Quick
Grubauer
f*** no.

Status
Not open for further replies.