Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVIII| what's going on with the team ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
For me its just ALL about his UFA contract. Avs fans should be paying a TON of attention to the current state of Tor right now as that will soon be them. They made a perfectly reasonable signing for Marleau a few years ago and now it is causing them all sorts of trouble, if the Avs aren't very careful that will be them. So if you go out and get Hayes I think you need to be hyper realistic about the player he really is and not have rose colored glasses on as any guy the Avs sign in UFA you need to ask yourself "is this a guy I'd be okay possibly losing a Kaut or a Timmins for?". Like one example I like to use is there is no way Hayes should ever get more than Stastny did in UFA. So if you go out and play him as a middle 6 guy, be that 6x3, 5.5x4 or 5x5 then that's a really solid deal and a great add. However if you give him like 6.5x5 you had better pray he lives up to this year or you have done significant damage to the future of the team. Another thing that isn't considered enough is the Avs biggest asset is still time. The Avs can afford to be patient and wait for the right deal because they still have a young team that's growing and they have most of their holes filled. So unless something is a perfect fit then you should keep being patient. The Avs will be a top UFA destination for a few years with their open cap and up and coming dynamic team, they will have options and I don't think Hayes is someone you just can't afford to not go all in on. If we don't get him we'll still be just fine. Now Stone on the other hand haha

Big difference between signing a 26 year old and a 37 years old. Assuming we sign Hayes it’d probably be a 5/6 year deal so we’d have him till he was what 32/33? That’s way easier to manage than 40 year old player like Marleau.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think we just view Hayes differently. I've followed him a bit (mostly because I was salty that the Rangers managed to sign him over the Avs). He did well his first year, and then struggled to find his footing. He changed his game up a bit last year, focusing a bit more on defense and as a result his offensive game also grew. He took another step forward this year offensively and being a driver of his line. I see a player trending upwards. Essentially, he seems like a younger, better version of Soda when we got him. I think that's a 2C and if someone is better than him and manages to snatch that role away from him we are going to be really set.

We probably view him the same actually. I can definitely see him becoming that player but he just doesn't have the sample size to prove that's who he is yet and I don't think it is a wise move to ever pay players what they think they can be in UFA, but to pay them for what they have done. That's why its all about cost/benefit analysis. You want to sign him as a middle 6 guy who could become a #2, not as a #2 who could(and numbers would say are more likely, 39 games of #2, 310 games of middle 6 production), just be a middle 6. My mindset is first and foremost avoiding mistakes in UFA, as the best thing to do in UFA is almost always close to nothing, and then look into adding a guy or two.

I just view Hayes as a good depth player you offer a fair contract too, not a core player you go all in for, like a Stone.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Big difference between signing a 26 year old and a 37 years old. Assuming we sign Hayes it’d probably be a 5/6 year deal so we’d have him till he was what 32/33? That’s way easier to manage than 40 year old player like Marleau.

It has nothing to do with age or production, and everything about AAV and Term relative to the young players you have coming up needed to be resigned. With all the young talent coming up on the Avs, they will reach the ceiling sooner rather than later and in 3 years from now you need to be okay with possibly losing a better player like Kaut because of the deal you give Hayes, just as the predicament Tor is in right now. Marleau was a great deal for him, but because of that deal they will likely have to move better young players to make the cap work they otherwise wouldn't have had to. So its something you should be thinking about.

If you sign Hayes, you have to be okay in 3 years maybe having to trade away a Bowers who would be a better option but you simply can't pay him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It has nothing to do with age or production, and everything about AAV and Term relative to the young players you have coming up needed to be resigned. With all the young talent coming up on the Avs, they will reach the ceiling sooner rather than later and in 3 years from now you need to be okay with possibly losing a better player like Kaut because of the deal you give Hayes, just as the predicament Tor is in right now. Marleau was a great deal for him, but because of that deal they will likely have to move better young players to make the cap work they otherwise wouldn't have had to. So its something you should be thinking about.

If you sign Hayes, you have to be okay in 3 years maybe having to trade away a Bowers who would be a better option but you simply can't pay him.

No you just let Soda walk, and use Bowers in his spot.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

No Soda leaves in a couple years so then he doesn’t get re signed. And you still have room for Kaut and Bowers. Especially considering it looks like Bowers/Kaut/Timmins won’t be part of the trade for Hayes.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
No-one said anything about jumping you. Fighting isn't the only way to intimidate your opponent.

Keep your head up!

Lol what? Are you going to find where he lives and go challenge him to a game of pick up? Sure you ain't Uncle Rico living in the past?

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I went to a meeting for like an hour, checked this thread and saw how many pages had been added while I was gone and freaked out thinking a trade happened.

giphy.gif

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Haha you're like if a GM was still trying to build the LA Kings, or if a 1980's teamster was trying to convince everyone smoking was cool, or a doctor that wanted you to eat a ton of fatty foods to get better.

You have such and old and outdated mindset, try catching up with the rest of the world.

LMAO.

You can have a team full of princesses. I will take a team full of beasts and let's see who wins in a 7 game series.

Give your head a shake.

Just because you make your kids wear bubblewrap and helmets outside doesn't mean that physical play doesn't belong in sports anymore.

It's a shame millennials have to ruin everything and turn contact sports into glorified touch hockey.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
LMAO.

You can have a team full of princesses. I will take a team full of beasts and let's see who wins in a 7 game series.

Give your head a shake.

Just because you make your kids wear bubblewrap and helmets outside doesn't mean that physical play doesn't belong in sports anymore.

It's a shame millennials have to ruin everything and turn contact sports into glorified touch hockey.

I like how this argument evolved from "it's fine to have Girard, Barrie and Makar on the same blueline" to "y'all are a bunch of sissies who don't like physical play, ya snowflakes!!!!"

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad