Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Isn't Schenn a winger?

If not though, he'd be perfect.

Schenn's a center in St.Louis. The Flyers jerked him around a bit but he had his 70 point season playing center.

He's close to the perfect 2C, not even taking into account the off-ice benefits to our core.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Isn't Schenn a winger?

If not though, he'd be perfect.

Naw he's a 2c and has seen increased success in STL system, although he isn't that fast and only has 1 more year on his contract after this. With it being in the Division, his cost in both trade assets and future contract, as well lack of fit in both playstyle and age I dont see him being a target.

The reason I think we see the Avs linked to players like Hayes and scouting Pit is they are trying to identify rentals that could have an impact but also would be cheap to acquire as I don't think they are planning on giving away too many assets this year. If they were willing to give up what it would take to get Schenn I think they would have already won out on a player like Skinner in this past offseason

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To be fair, it looks like Brassard has been more productive than Zibanejad (either point totals or pts/gm) every year except 2016-17. He's been pretty good in the playoffs too. Zib will most likely be the better player going forward though.

Since the start of last season Zibby has really matured & hit a higher level than brassard ever did in NY. Nevermind that Brassard has fallen off from peak Brassard dramatically since then.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Since the start of last season Zibby has really matured & hit a higher level than brassard ever did in NY. Nevermind that Brassard has fallen off from peak Brassard dramatically since then.

Fair point, and I'll amend my previous statement to include 2017-18 too. Zib edged him by one point in the same 72 games.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Brassard had a good playoffs during the Sens run to the ECF and was on pace for 50+ points last season before getting traded. So he was good very recently and then his play fell off once the situation changed. Maybe he has gone over that cliff we see with players in their 30's but it's also possible this just isn't a good fit. He's getting less ice time, fewer OZ starts, and most recently he has been playing with Pearson and Sheahan. He has spent some time with Crosby too though and didn't produce then either so who knows.

Reactions: shadow1

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
He's being used as 3 C in Pitt not sure what else you're on about but he's the been the better player

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m not a huge Brassard fan, but wouldn’t be totally against him either, if the Avalanche can get him on the relative cheap.

I can only watch so much more of Sven Andrighetto in a scoring role. Or on the team period.
I'm not tryna watch Derick Brassard in a scoring role either lmao.

Since 2016-2017, Brassard is scoring at a 0.53 PPG clip while Andrighetto is at 0.48 PPG. Not a huge difference between the two.

Not saying Andrighetto = Brassard because Brassard does other things well, but unless he's coming insanely cheap I am not down for that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Why do we want Brassard when all this board does is complain about Wilson? Brassard is more of the average depth that we already have, we need impact players up front.

Reactions: Meeqs and cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why do we want Brassard when all this board does is complain about Wilson? Brassard is more of the average depth that we already have, we need impact players up front.
498053-thumb.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brassard had a good playoffs during the Sens run to the ECF and was on pace for 50+ points last season before getting traded. So he was good very recently and then his play fell off once the situation changed. Maybe he has gone over that cliff we see with players in their 30's but it's also possible this just isn't a good fit. He's getting less ice time, fewer OZ starts, and most recently he has been playing with Pearson and Sheahan. He has spent some time with Crosby too though and didn't produce then either so who knows.

It’s not just that he fell off, it’s that Zibby’s playing at a higher level than Brassard ever did, with a worse team around him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I actually think Hayes is a better fit for the Avs then Zibanejad.

He's got more size, a stronger two-way game, and his 5 on 5 production blows Zibby's out of the water.

I'd take Hayes over Zibanejad for the Avs.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Go get him, Joseph.

Looking at Brayden Schenn's face, he reminds me of a grown-up version of that 8 year old kid who lives across the street from me, who I hate. Very, very punchable face.

That being said, I think he'd be a pretty good fit for this team but I think the cost to acquire him would be pretty steep. From a STL point of view, they would want some help to rebuild that D for sure and I don't think it would be wise for the Avs to trade either Timmins or Makar.

I actually think Hayes is a better fit for the Avs then Zibanejad.

He's got more size, a stronger two-way game, and his 5 on 5 production blows Zibby's out of the water.

I'd take Hayes over Zibanejad for the Avs.

I wouldn't and it's not really close especially when you take contracts into consideration but I don't think the Avs should target either player.

I think we need a better #2C so that we have a real strong 1-2 punch if we want to eventually take down teams like Nashville and Winnipeg in the playoffs. Marginal upgrades just wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion.

Hayes is having himself a great year but for me the sample size is too small and I'm always suspicious of guys stepping up in a contract year to get paid. Over the years, too many teams have gotten burned too many times.

Zibanejad can be a force at times and also invisible for long stretches. He started last season on fire as well only to fizzle out in the middle part of the season and had a strong finish. It's what senator fans always held against him. We are still talking about a guy who's broken 50 points only once in his career.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'd take Zibby. He is the better player overall and if MacK gets injured we'd have someone to fill as 1C.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It seems like a red flag to me that the Rangers would trade Hayes rather than going all out to sign him long term.

Larry Brooks seems to have changed his tune on the subject - https://nypost.com/2018/12/19/rangers-cant-let-unfair-system-force-them-into-tearing-up-team/.

"I will say this again, too, not for the first time and certainly not the last: The Rangers should not trade Kevin Hayes, whose shorthanded goal with 40 seconds remaining broke a 1-1 tie, unless the impending free agent’s ask on a new contract is completely unrealistic or an interested third party offers a young, first-pair right defenseman (see: Cale Makar, UMass/Colorado) in exchange for No. 13. Both of these hypotheticals are unlikely.

I don’t care whether the team is ready to contend in two years or four. This building process will not be aided by trading the center who has been the team’s best player for the past two years. All teams — even, or perhaps especially, ones in the Rangers’ position — need linchpins."

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It seems like a red flag to me that the Rangers would trade Hayes rather than going all out to sign him long term.

Larry Brooks seems to have changed his tune on the subject - https://nypost.com/2018/12/19/rangers-cant-let-unfair-system-force-them-into-tearing-up-team/.

"I will say this again, too, not for the first time and certainly not the last: The Rangers should not trade Kevin Hayes, whose shorthanded goal with 40 seconds remaining broke a 1-1 tie, unless the impending free agent’s ask on a new contract is completely unrealistic or an interested third party offers a young, first-pair right defenseman (see: Cale Makar, UMass/Colorado) in exchange for No. 13. Both of these hypotheticals are unlikely.

I don’t care whether the team is ready to contend in two years or four. This building process will not be aided by trading the center who has been the team’s best player for the past two years. All teams — even, or perhaps especially, ones in the Rangers’ position — need linchpins."

There's a NYR poster who said it best in the trade thread : "The Rangers want to build their next core out of legit gamebreaking talent, and don't want to commit dollars and years to a good but not elite player like Hayes."

I think that's bang-on and the way I see it as well. Is there a chance that the Kevin Hayes that is currently playing very well for the NYR is the player that whoever trades for him is going to have long-term going forward?? Yeah, sure. But there is also a chance that he's playing over his head in a contract year and will come back down once he's locked up long-term? I think it's certainly possible as well.

That scenario has happened over and over in the NHL and I for one wouldn't want to gamble assets to find out how it's going to turn out.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Nice to see Brooks is still a complete and utter moron.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Yes Brooks, very unlikely.

Sad to see people thinking Makar and Ottawa's first are available right now stretch into the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad