Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIX|Never Stop (Losing) Never Stopping (The Losing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Would it surprise anyone if the Avs went after Gardiner this summer? There's Girard in the top four, Cole might be better suited for the bottom pair, and they're reportedly shopping Zadorov so he might not be in their long-term plans. I believe there was some talk of them liking Gardiner a few years back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Makar can replace Barrie on the top 4, and our D is where it is today, and we use Barrie to shore up the offense we are getting better.

Awfully huge if right there considering Barrie is the leading TOI and 43% of the offensive production from the backend. Also, why not use somebody else to shore up the forward group? Or have two offensively capable defensemen instead of one to help shore up the secondary scoring....

Reactions: cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Would it surprise anyone if the Avs went after Gardiner this summer? There's Girard in the top four, Cole might be better suited for the bottom pair, and they're reportedly shopping Zadorov so he might not be in their long-term plans. I believe there was some talk of them liking Gardiner a few years back.

The Avs have always liked Gardiner... and I can really see why. Instant puck movement and offense from the backend. He has been in over his head in Toronto for a few years, but in a more limited role he could be pretty solid... but somebody is giving up ~7m.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Makar is already an elite defenseman? Well ****... I’ve missed a lot.

Never said that. But we aren't trading him.

If you could actually read and comprehend posts then you would know I'm concerned with Makar, Barrie and Girard all in the same group.

So our options are having 3 undersized offensive defensemen all whom are liabilities in their own end or trade Barrie because we probably wont resign him for forward depth.

You choose.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Never said that. But we aren't trading him.

So our options are having 3 undersized offensive defensemen all whom are liabilities in their own end or trade Barrie because we probably wont resign him for forward depth.

You choose.

3 undersized defensemen and kill teams with puck movement. Z, Cole, and EJ will still be around to add size and grit... Graves/Barbie/plug can stick around as depth.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
So what?

Is our current group so dominant right now that we don't need to change them?
No but wouldn't you rather bring along your players in a successful environment not getting them embarrassed night to night and have their confidence rocked. People are upset about Jost being ruined but want to throw every defensive prospect right into the NHL eating up as many minutes as possible. Very few players make that jump that well. Insulate Makar with barrie, and let Timmins marinate in the A, then maybe the avs have a successful farm team for once.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
3 undersized defensemen and kill teams with puck movement. Z, Cole, and EJ will still be around to add size and grit... Graves/Barbie/plug can stick around as depth.

Yes because Barrie and Girard and that fantastic puck movement have been helping us so much right now.

Do you even watch the games?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Like who? I mean would trading for someone like Brodin make this team better? Not really.

I mean if a legit #1 2 way guy becomes available that’s one thing. B

Well it's kind of hard to say since I have no way of knowing who is available.

A top 4 who excels in their own end.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
They certainly are not, but you are taking the single most impactful defensemen out.

Impactful offensively yes but a complete and total liability in our own end.

Add another guy to that group let's see what happens.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes because Barrie and Girard and that fantastic puck movement have been helping us so much right now.

Do you even watch the games?

Do you? The NHL is very quickly moving towards quick puck movement out of the zone and defensemen are trending smaller and smaller.

It is funny... if you look at all the advanced numbers out there on defensive pairings. The Avs top pairing stats wise, by a mile, is Girard-Barrie. It has had limited use, but the advanced stats geeks I know rave about what that pairing looks like on paper. In practice they have looked good too... Like it or not, the NHL is changing...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Honestly I’ve been thinking the last few days how I could see a trade at the deadline.

Nemeth and Varlaomov (with whatever retention necessary)

For

Gardiner.

Leafs need a backup badly. They probably won’t want to give up any picks for a goalie that may not play but definitely want the security if Andersen goes down in the playoffs. Gardiner isn’t part of their long term plans and will be used even less now with Muzzin. And Nemeth has that rugged, shot blocking, decent skating ability style that coaches love for playoff hockey. Nemo would probably log some decent minutes for the Leafs in all honesty.

It’s two teams improving their team’s now while also giving up nothing from their future plans.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Do you? The NHL is very quickly moving towards quick puck movement out of the zone and defensemen are trending smaller and smaller.

Wrong. This isn't and never will be pond hockey. Undersized defenseman will always be a liability. Having 1 or maybe 2 will be ok but 3? No chance.

Check out the size of TB's dmen. Then come back.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Honestly I’ve been thinking the last few days how I could see a trade at the deadline.

Nemeth and Varlaomov (with whatever retention necessary)

For

Gardiner.

Leafs need a backup badly. They probably won’t want to give up any picks for a goalie that may not play but definitely want the security if Andersen goes down in the playoffs. Gardiner isn’t part of their long term plans and will be used even less now with Muzzin. And Nemeth has that rugged, shot blocking, decent skating ability style that coaches love for playoff hockey. Nemo would probably log some decent minutes for the Leafs in all honesty.

It’s two teams improving their team’s now while also giving up nothing from their future plans.
Anything that forces the Avs to not play Nemeth/Barbie and try Francouz I'm a fan of at this point. But I doubt the Leafs say yes to that. I think they want to hold on to their D and add to it, and if they move Gardiner I would think it's for younger more cost controlled assets. Thats just me guessing though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wrong. This isn't and never will be pond hockey. Undersized defenseman will always be a liability. Having 1 or maybe 2 will be ok but 3? No chance.

Hear that guys? Anton Stralman and Ryan Ellis are liabilities.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Yeah their best pure defensive guy is 5'11" 190 lbs...

I probably know more about Tampa and their organization than anybody here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad