Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XII| Witty Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Because the group as a whole here is pretty sarcastic and likes to joke around without it always being so serious. Remember the self deprecating days of early 2013? I miss those days.
Yeah, that's how HFAvs rose up to be what it is today. Do you think we got where we're at by being nice and civil? This place thrives on sarcastic backhanded compliments.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I can't wait for Barrie to sign a long term contract here and watch certain people lose their minds.

Trade Barrie and his supporters will riot and cheaply dump their tickets.

Simpsons - Greed.gif

Reactions: New Scotlander

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Because the group as a whole here is pretty sarcastic and likes to joke around without it always being so serious. Remember the self deprecating days of early 2013? I miss those days.

I appreciate self deprecation I just find its having the opposite affect. This fanbase is cool and alot of us enjoy each others humour and opinions. Just dont see the humour in mocking posters and making them feel nervous to share. Lol I swear I'm not usually PC just this one irks me.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Fair enough ahah. But your only making it worse. I just cant help myself when people make those type of comments ahah. I have to mentally try and stop myself from getting sucked in haha.
The problem is when certain posters (very few of them, but they know who they are) frame their arguments as "we have Makar! We have Timmins! We have Girard! We can trade Barrie so easily!" not realizing that only one of those three has actually even made the NHL yet. That's where, me personally, I look and their arguments and just shake my head.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The problem is when certain posters (very few of them, but they know who they are) frame their arguments as "we have Makar! We have Timmins! We have Girard! We can trade Barrie so easily!" not realizing that only one of those three has actually even made the NHL yet. That's where, me personally, I look and their arguments and just shake my head.
Haha there's always extremist or wild opinions. I find them easy enough to ignore. I just learn to laugh at them. Also responding to them encourages them ahah.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I appreciate self deprecation I just find its having the opposite affect. This fanbase is cool and alot of us enjoy each others humour and opinions. Just dont see the humour in mocking posters and making them feel nervous to share. Lol I swear I'm not usually PC just this one irks me.

We go back and forth with the mocking all the time... just a couple posts above we have a Mr Burns gif mocking the other side.. IMO it keeps some of this more lighthearted when we need the levity break.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
We go back and forth with the mocking all the time... just a couple posts above we have a Mr Burns gif mocking the other side.. IMO it keeps some of this more lighthearted when we need the levity break.
I guess I just dont think you can complain about this discussion going on and actively feed it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah, that's how HFAvs rose up to be what it is today. Do you think we got where we're at by being nice and civil? This place thrives on sarcastic backhanded compliments.

I'll say one thing, you're loyal. You've had that haircut for 15 years, despite it going out of style long ago. To Foppberg! :cheers:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'll say one thing, you're loyal. You've had that haircut for 15 years, despite it going out of style long ago. To Foppberg! :cheers:
I'm bald.

On a more serious note, I find this place pretty receptive to differing opinions, if they actually back it up, and don't act like a pompous ass. But when it's one line statements and acting like what you say is gospel.. then yeah you're going to get some backlash to that.

Also some posters on here have more to 'lose' than others. Guys like SEPH, TMV, Henchman etc are writers/ do a bit of scouting, so them getting into lengthy back and forths makes a lot more sense. I'm just some jackass getting my hockey fix on the internet. I'm the pipe and HF is my crack.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yup. I mean a team about to hit their playoff window should definitely be getting rid of core players for players that haven’t touched NHL ice yet.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I hate the snark of some posters, too, but I guess it is what it is. I hate snarky attacks in general, but it seems that is the way of the world these days. Now if there is good old jackass-ery going on then sign me up! There are always heated debates on this board, remember the Statsny and RoR contract battles? I enjoy those, just not the snarky attacks towards other posters. Anyhoo, this is my soap opera for better or worse. HF Avs or die!:yo:

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I just see it as levity not feeding... if it is feeding, people are taking the internet way too seriously.

duty_calls.png
Lol and that's fine. Just disagree a bit. . But I just question whether these people have a choice. Like people who are susceptible to advertisement or manipulation may not be the best at either prioritizing or choosing their battles. Why exacerbate it?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sammy knows how to run a pp now and should be a top scoring defender in due time .

All the Barrie supporters keep mentioning the substantial offensive loss, but they ignore some of the pedigree of the possible alternatives.

Consider their Junior careers on the basis of their drafted year.
  • Girard - 67 Games @ 74 points (QMJHL 2015/16);
  • Makar - 54 Games @ 75 points (AJHL 2016/17);
  • Timmins - 67 Games @ 61 Points (OHL 2016/17);
  • Meloche - 44 Games @ 34 Points (QMJHL 2014/15)
  • Barrie - 68 Games @ 52 Points (WHL 2008/09)
Barrie had a stellar WHL career and struggled in the AHL. This might not be definitive of being a future NHL star, but the evidence can be a yardstick of their potential.

Supporters of Barrie ignores that each of the 4 prospects already better defensively. Only 1 of 4 need to be comparable to his offensive output to justify a move. This doesn't even include the players in return for Barrie and 2019 Draft.

So a replacement is within reach and the odds of replacing Barrie with this surplus of DMen can be justify to improve the team.

Reactions: New Scotlander

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
All the Barrie supporters keep mentioning the substantial offensive loss, but they ignore some of the pedigree of the possible alternatives.

Consider their Junior careers on the basis of their drafted year.
  • Girard - 67 Games @ 74 points (QMJHL 2015/16);
  • Makar - 54 Games @ 75 points (AJHL 2016/17);
  • Timmins - 67 Games @ 61 Points (OHL 2016/17);
  • Meloche - 44 Games @ 34 Points (QMJHL 2014/15)
  • Barrie - 68 Games @ 52 Points (WHL 2008/09)
Barrie had a stellar WHL career and struggled in the AHL. This might not be definitive of being a future NHL star, but the evidence can be a yardstick of their potential.

Supporters of Barrie ignores that each of the 4 prospects already better defensively. Only 1 of 4 need to be comparable to his offensive output to justify a move. This doesn't even include the players in return for Barrie and 2019 Draft.

So a replacement is within reach and the odds of replacing Barrie with this surplus of DMen can be justify to improve the team.
You truly have no idea what you're talking about, but hey, I guess the avatar definitely fits.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
.69 PPG in the AHL is struggling? And junior stats don't equate to much. Different leagues have different scoring rates. Points don't equate to potential. Stefan Elliott had similar numbers to Barrie in the same year and ended up sucking as a pro. He didn't become as good. Duncan Siemens had a .60 ppg game in his draft year and has no offensive skill at the professional level. Skill sets matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad