Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XII| Witty Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Erik Johnson hasn't put up more than 30 points since 2013-2014, and he's never once hit 40+. He has hit 39 twice, but EJ is no 40 point defensemen.
Last time I chequed math and I am pretty sure that math hasn't changed since then a 39 point season is closer to a 40 point season than it is to a 30 point season, just sayin'...

I am in the group which considers 29 a 30 goal season, but I totally get the people who disagree with that.
It is a bit of semantics, but EJ has never produced a 40 point season (nor Barrie 60) there have been averages that point to it having been able to happen before. With EJ though, they point much more to a 30 point defender than a 40. 10 points doesn't sound like a lot, but only 30 defensemen scored 40 points last season... another 27 scored between 30 and 40 (EJ not being one of them). The difference between 30 and 40 points as a defensemen is similar to the difference between a 50 point forward and a 65 point forward. They are completely different levels of scorers. If EJ was a legit, consistent 40 point defensemen, he'd very clearly and no debate be a #1D in the league.
My point still stands even if EJ is a 30 point defender and Barrie was a 60 point defender.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Last time I chequed math and I am pretty sure that math hasn't changed since then a 39 point season is closer to a 40 point season than it is to a 30 point season, just sayin'...

The last 3 seasons EJ has averaged .381 points per game. That equates to a 31.26 point pace. If we go just back to include the 39 point season (5 seasons), that pace improves to 34.87. EJ's time as an Av, 32.04. EJ is much closer to being a 30 point defender than a 40. This is similar to saying that Duchene is a PPG player because he did it in 13-14... yet he is a player that hasn't crested 60 since.

My point still stands even if EJ is a 30 point defender and Barrie was a 60 point defender.

Well... that seems kinda crazy to me. Kinda like saying you'd rather have Landeskog over Hall.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I am in the group which considers 29 a 30 goal season, but I totally get the people who disagree with that.
Last time I checked math, 25, 17, 27, and 23 point seasons are a lot closer to 30 than 40.
EJ is as much of a 40 pt scorer as Mack is a 100pt scorer.
Who is calling MacKinnon a 100 point scorer? Unless this is sarcasm lol.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
If Nylander does a bridge, he has a chance to cash in later but it won't be in Toronto, that's for sure.

It really works for both sides. He can sign for a nice raise, play with that fwd core and put up great numbers if he can get some centering time that’ll increase his value and the Leafs can have that stacked offense for a bit

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
You truly have no idea what you're talking about, but hey, I guess the avatar definitely fits.
It sounds about right to me . Girard alone made the NHL at 19 put up similar stats to Karlsson at 19 with little pp time . Me at 20 he looks like a star while at the same age Barrie was in junior followed by an AHL struggle the following 2 years .
Makar's are far superior to Barrie at the same age , in fact they are far superior today but you still question their abilities.
Girard is already a superior player to Barrie if you watch at all . Not to mention Timmins even .

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
.69 PPG in the AHL is struggling? And junior stats don't equate to much. Different leagues have different scoring rates. Points don't equate to potential. Stefan Elliott had similar numbers to Barrie in the same year and ended up sucking as a pro. He didn't become as good. Duncan Siemens had a .60 ppg game in his draft year and has no offensive skill at the professional level. Skill sets matter.
And Barrie skillets are not as good as Makar or Girard , He would tell you that himself I'm sure

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It sounds about right to me . Girard alone made the NHL at 19 put up similar stats to Karlsson at 19 with little pp time . Me at 20 he looks like a star while at the same age Barrie was in junior followed by an AHL struggle the following 2 years .
Makar's are far superior to Barrie at the same age , in fact they are far superior today but you still question their abilities.
Girard is already a superior player to Barrie if you watch at all . Not to mention Timmins even .
Lmao. You're the same dude that cites making the Canadian Olympic Team as some sort of bench mark for being a great player when comparing to others. Pretty much everything you say comes out as nonsense, such as this gem.

Reactions: Avs44

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I don't really see Mikko wanting a bridge deal, especially if he has a productive season again.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'm actually Dwayne Johnson.

tumblr_ngfl31oXEw1tv4k5po1_500.gif

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Lmao. You're the same dude that cites making the Canadian Olympic Team as some sort of bench mark for being a great player when comparing to others. Pretty much everything you say comes out as nonsense, such as this gem.
Well I mean to be fair making the Canadian Olympic team is probably the hardest country to qualify for.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't really see Mikko wanting a bridge deal, especially if he has a productive season again.

Naw he is being smart, knowing he can put up a similar season as last year and will have all the comparisons from this year. Avs better be hoping Nylander takes a friendly deal and kills it

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Naw he is being smart, knowing he can put up a similar season as last year and will have all the comparisons from this year. Avs better be hoping Nylander takes a friendly deal and kills it
I'd love if Mikko was willing to take the David Pastrnak contract but I doubt that happens, especially if he puts up 75+ this season.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Just to clear anything up, running the numbers and accounting for 82GP, EJ is a 32 point scorer and Barrie is a 50 point scorer.

I take EJ at that level of production over Barrie.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 4.03.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 4.03.21 PM.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 3

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Yeah, Marner & Nylander deals could have an effect to what Mikko gets. Pastrnak deal in which increased cap was taken into account and extra year or two would be added (Pastrnak signed "only" 6 year contract) would be very nice (without checking the difference in cap, let's just say that's approximately 7-7.5M x 7-8yrs).

He will get more if he repeats his 2017-2018 numbers. Something like 8-9M x 7-8yrs.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
That’s what I was thinking too, Nylander prb should do a bridge and cash in later, I don’t think he’s gonna get the coin he wants now
I don't think he is either cause he isnt worth the money . Leafs are being smrt here . Nylander wants star money and isn't even a star

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Erik Johnson hasn't put up more than 30 points since 2013-2014, and he's never once hit 40+. He has hit 39 twice, but EJ is no 40 point defensemen.
He would be with Barrie pp time but he isn't needed for that.
P.S and if he stayed healty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad