Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XI| Witty Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rumoured about the Leafs moving or waiving Picard could be a backup option.

I could be wrong, but I don't see the Avs pursuing Pickard unless a long term injury occurs (knock on wood that doesn't happen). I think they want to test both Grubauer and Francouz to possibly go with one or both in 2019-20. They'll want to give them plenty of games to have that test, so they'll know what they have.

Sakic has been cautious at times during his tenure as GM. This is probably the most obvious decision to be cautious about. He knows they went almost a decade without a legit starter before Varly came aboard. If there's one way to tank a rebuild, and all the success they're building towards, it's to dump a proven starter for someone that doesn't pan out.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I could be wrong, but I don't see the Avs pursuing Pickard unless a long term injury occurs (knock on wood that doesn't happen). I think they want to test both Grubauer and Francouz to possibly go with one or both in 2019-20. They'll want to give them plenty of games to have that test, so they'll know what they have.

Sakic has been cautious at times during his tenure as GM. This is probably the most obvious decision to be cautious about. He knows they went almost a decade without a legit starter before Varly came aboard. If there's one way to tank a rebuild, and all the success they're building towards, it's to dump a proven starter for someone that doesn't pan out.

Varly needs to stay healthy, but he isn't capable regardless of the workload and the only option is to move him if there is a market.

Grubauer and Francouz is the hopeful Goalie tandem of the future, but the AVs still need another option for at least the AHL. Picard seems to love being an AV, bring him home and lessen the pressure for Francouz which was an excellent signing. There is no need to rush him when Picard is available.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly needs to stay healthy, but he isn't capable regardless of the workload and the only option is to move him if there is a market.

Grubauer and Francouz is the hopeful Goalie tandem of the future, but the AVs still need another option for at least the AHL. Picard seems to love being an AV, bring him home and lessen the pressure for Francouz which was an excellent signing. There is no need to rush him when Picard is available.

It's not about workload, it's about giving Grubauer and Francouz enough games to test them. Bringing in Pickard would limit their games because he's too good to just play like an AHL backup.

Varly has proven that he's perfectly capable as a starter if healthy. The concern is that he can't stay healthy often enough, or has to play through injuries that limit his performance. Even Bednar said as much recently.

---

“We need Varly to stay healthy and when he’s been healthy, especially last year, as he started to play midseason and go he’s proven that he’s a No. 1. Now you have a guy like Philipp Grubauer coming in and he’s hungry to be a No. 1, he’s pushing to be a No. 1. Certainly last year he took over the net at times in Washington. But at the end of the day it made him a better goalie and it made Braden Holtby a better goalie and he ends up going in and winning them the Stanley Cup. We want the best out of both of these guys and we’ll ride the hot goalie at times, but I’d like to see Varly stay healthy and be able to regain his form because I think he’s trending that way and it’s going to be a matter of health for him. I know he’s one of our hardest working guys and a real hungry guy and I feel like Philipp Grubauer is hungry to prove that he’s a No. 1 as well.”

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...h-avs-goalies-mikko-rantanen-pht-q-a.2527557/

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It's not about workload, it's about giving Grubauer and Francouz enough games to test them. Bringing in Pickard would limit their games because he's good enough to command starts.

Varly has proven that he's perfectly capable as a starter if healthy. The concern is that he can't stay healthy often enough, or has to play through injuries that limit his performance. Even Bednar said as much recently.

---

“We need Varly to stay healthy and when he’s been healthy, especially last year, as he started to play midseason and go he’s proven that he’s a No. 1. Now you have a guy like Philipp Grubauer coming in and he’s hungry to be a No. 1, he’s pushing to be a No. 1. Certainly last year he took over the net at times in Washington. But at the end of the day it made him a better goalie and it made Braden Holtby a better goalie and he ends up going in and winning them the Stanley Cup. We want the best out of both of these guys and we’ll ride the hot goalie at times, but I’d like to see Varly stay healthy and be able to regain his form because I think he’s trending that way and it’s going to be a matter of health for him. I know he’s one of our hardest working guys and a real hungry guy and I feel like Philipp Grubauer is hungry to prove that he’s a No. 1 as well.”

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...h-avs-goalies-mikko-rantanen-pht-q-a.2527557/

Varly unless he is willing to take less money will be moving on. Grub has never played a full season and needs a platoon situation. Francouz is too much of an unknown to expect him to play heavy games. Picard makes too much sense and would love to see him back with the team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly unless he is willing to take less money will be moving on. Grub has never played a full season and needs a platoon situation. Francouz is too much of an unknown to expect him to play heavy games. Picard makes too much sense and would love to see him back with the team.

Pickard makes sense for next year or for 2019-20? Grubauer needs a platoon type situation, and that's what he has next year with Varly. In 2019-20, it will depend on how many games Gru gets next year, and if he proved himself as a legit starter in a legit starters role. They'll either bring back Varly short term, bring back Francouz for the NHL if he proves he can play there as a backup, or go outside the organization for a 1B type like Pickard.

Pickard has shown he's probably not a #1G in the NHL though. He's a pure backup, but has the ability to be a good one. Francouz on the other hand hasn't had that test, and still has the potential to be an NHL starter. They'll want someone with that potential behind Grubauer in case he can't hold down the #1G position every year.

I don't think money will be an issue with Varly. I think he values stability rather than moving around in the US. He won't command a ton of money due to his injury history. The potential hurdle will be term with Varly. Depending on how next season plays out though, I don't think he'll put up too much of a fight if Sakic wants to do a short term deal. I think he might be ok with that, and is ok returning to Russia if he needs to after.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I kinda hope Varly sticks around, but if he plays reasonably well someone will sign him to be a starter
Dont think he'd be keen on a 1a 1b situation

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Someone posted the other day (or was it on BSN?) that there was no instance in NHL history when a 1A-1B situation was successful for a team. You get 2 starters that can't build confidence so in the end it turns into two backups that get too many starts.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just rewatched the whole season of Macks highlights. Some awesome goals against the filthy Wild at around 6:20. Some nice Rantanen one timers at the beginning is so satisfying to see. Can't wait till the season starts.

Those one timers were just deflections from MacKinnon shots. Such a leech. :sarcasm:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Calvin Pickard is bad at hockey and should not play for the Avalanche again.

He will not. Somehow a lot of people on this board always want to bring back former AVS who left to play elsewhere. Sakic doesn't appear to think that way.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I just rewatched the whole season of Macks highlights. Some awesome goals against the filthy Wild at around 6:20. Some nice Rantanen one timers at the beginning is so satisfying to see. Can't wait till the season starts.

I liked the Yakupov "I'm back baby" celebration at the beginning.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
He will not. Somehow a lot of people on this board always want to bring back former AVS who left to play elsewhere. Sakic doesn't appear to think that way.
Certain Avalanche players should be brought home. A goalie with a .904 save percentage in his one season as an NHL starter who's been in the AHL for the subsequent two years isn't one of them.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Those one timers were just deflections from MacKinnon shots. Such a leech. :sarcasm:

On the other hand, there was a pass by Mack to Rants and Rants one timed it while the puck was still in the air. Rants will probably not be as good as Ovie on those, but he can be really lethal on those one timers.
Rantanen is still got to execute on many of his goals.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Picard didn’t leave the team, Sakic exposed him in the Expansion draft to LVK.

He was to be waived by LVK after they grabbed Subban from Waivers until the Leafs offered a low prospect and 6th rounder. He loved the AVs and gets to stay in he NHL. Instead he is buried in the AHL with a fading career with the Goalie depth on the Leafs.

Picard is too good for the AHL, but not talented enough to be a 1G. AVs should unquestionably consider Picard in return to a Backup role.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Picard didn’t leave the team, Sakic exposed him in the Expansion draft to LVK.

He was to be waived by LVK after they grabbed Subban from Waivers until the Leafs offered a low prospect and 6th rounder. He loved the AVs and gets to stay in he NHL. Instead he is buried in the AHL with a fading career with the Goalie depth on the Leafs.

Picard is too good for the AHL, but not talented enough to be a 1G. AVs should unquestionably consider Picard in return to a Backup role.

We have no need for him back. Varlamov + Grubauer + Francouz in the AHL, let him fly free.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Certain Avalanche players should be brought home. A goalie with a .904 save percentage in his one season as an NHL starter who's been in the AHL for the subsequent two years isn't one of them.

And played poorly in his pre-season games with Vegas, and in his one NHL game with the Leafs. But you know, he got a raw deal...:shakehead

Reactions: BKarchitect

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Picks should probably be a backup somewhere to try and get his career back on track, but it won't be here.

Reactions: Waingro

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

tumblr_n67br8t8Ae1td0mfho1_1280.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad