Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part X | Offseason Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Next summers UFA scene is already shaping up to be very strong just from the Senators UFAs alone :laugh:

Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, and Ceci. Throw in a few more good players around the league(Panarin appears destined for the market), and the Avs will certainly have the opportunity to spend money on a good player next summer if they wish.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Next summers UFA scene is already shaping up to be very strong just from the Senators UFAs alone :laugh:

Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, and Ceci. Throw in a few more good players around the league(Panarin appears destined for the market), and the Avs will certainly have the opportunity to spend money on a good player next summer if they wish.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Becoming very clear that next summer is when we make moves.

- Varlamov and Wilson's $10m come off the books, possibly Nemeth's $2.5m as well. That would give us $25m in cap space going into the summer.

- New contracts next summer for Rantanen, Zadorov, Kerfoot, Compher. "Prove it" seasons for the first three, JTC with a lot to gain with a good year.

- 5 picks in the first 3 rounds next year, with the Ottawa 1st potentially being a franchise changing selection.

- Some dude named Makar will turn pro before next summer hits, let's see where he slots in after a playoff run with the Eagles.

- Need to see if Grubauer steps up as the new #1 or will need to figure out the other pro roster goaltending spot.

- Sure, many of the expected '19 UFAs will sign with their teams or whatever, but it's still shaping up as the best pool in recent memory... Karlsson, Seguin, Panarin, Stone, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Simmonds, Pavelski, Skinner, Eberle, Ellis, Myers, Gardiner, Bobrovsky, Rinne... nabbing 2, or even 1, of these players would be huge.

- Our division rivals have all improved(just my opinion) and asking our best players to repeat what they did last year will be very difficult. We need the second tier guys to step up this season and take strides forward so that we are a deep team going into 2019/2020.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Becoming very clear that next summer is when we make moves.

- Varlamov and Wilson's $10m come off the books, possibly Nemeth's $2.5m as well. That would give us $25m in cap space going into the summer.

- New contracts next summer for Rantanen, Zadorov, Kerfoot, Compher. "Prove it" seasons for the first three, JTC with a lot to gain with a good year.

- 5 picks in the first 3 rounds next year, with the Ottawa 1st potentially being a franchise changing selection.

- Some dude named Makar will turn pro before next summer hits, let's see where he slots in after a playoff run with the Eagles.

- Need to see if Grubauer steps up as the new #1 or will need to figure out the other pro roster goaltending spot.

- Sure, many of the expected '19 UFAs will sign with their teams or whatever, but it's still shaping up as the best pool in recent memory... Karlsson, Seguin, Panarin, Stone, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Simmonds, Pavelski, Skinner, Eberle, Ellis, Myers, Gardiner, Bobrovsky, Rinne... nabbing 2, or even 1, of these players would be huge.

- Our division rivals have all improved(just my opinion) and asking our best players to repeat what they did last year will be very difficult. We need the second tier guys to step up this season and take strides forward so that we are a deep team going into 2019/2020.

We are closer to contesting for a cup thanany of our opposition clubs and opposition fans think.

Lots of Prefs fans were commenting and complimentary of our form and performance in last season's playoffs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah next year is the year.

We'll be a bubble team again this year. And whether we make it or not will largely depend on A) If Mack repeats, and B) What Varly and Grubauer can bring to the table.

Other factors exist(Like the young forwards and young Dmen, EJs health, etc.) but those two factors are the biggest ones.

I think we end up just outside the playoff picture next year but I still think we see a lot of positives on the season. And then with Makar, Timmins, Kaut, Bowers, Ottawa 2019 1st, potentially all being NHL ready additions for the 2019/20 season on top of likely having 10+M in cap space to sign a legit Top 6 Forward next summer, the Avs should be set up brilliantly to not only push for the playoffs in a year from now but look to do some damage as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Obviously it's just paper, but lowkey like what the Sabres top-9 might look like next season:

Skinner - Eichel - Okposo
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Girgensons - Berglund - Sobotka

That 3rd line won't be fun to play against, even with Sobotka having slowed down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My guess is they will swap Skinner and Sheary to balance out the top 6, but the Sabres have done an effective job re-tooling that team. Thompson probably pushes out Girgensons on the third line before the end of the season.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Happy with our roster. Get that 2nd line sorted (just 2-3 players), and we are a serious threat.

Defense: B+ (and improving)
Goalie(s): A-
Line 1: A+
Line 2: C (probably 3rd line quality - at present)
Line 3: B+
Line 4: A- (could be a line 3)

AVs are just a few years away or shorter if they can get another trade (Barrie maybe?)

The team are still a fringe playoff team, but with Kamenev, Kaut, Bowers, 2019 1st-Sens and 2019-1st-AVs the future is bright indeed to fill the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
AVs are just a few years away or shorter if they can get another trade (Barrie maybe?)

The team are still a fringe playoff team, but with Kamenev, Kaut, Bowers, 2019 1st-Sens and 2019-1st-AVs the future is bright indeed to fill the 2nd and 3rd lines.
ohyou.jpg

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I mean, one's almost two years older with 200 less NHL games and 60 less points and has got 3 goals to the other's 25 over their careers but aight.

Reactions: klozge

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I mean, one's almost two years older with 200 less NHL games and 60 less points and has got 3 goals to the other's 25 over their careers but aight.

There's no reasoning with him. This is someone who still strongly believes in plus/minus and points to leadership every time there's a losing streak.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Dater understands that team and player have different asks and they are based upon many factors, one of which is the players qualifying offer.

Ceci made $3,35M last year and Nemeth $810k. This means the least Ceci could have gotten in arbitration is $3.35M.

We don't really know what Nemeths asks would have been but a guess is team would have had $1.5M and player $3M. Most likely he would have been awarded a low $2M salary. No way he gets $3M.

Sakic just didn't want to go through the hassle of an arbitration for a few hundred thousand dollars on a one year deal for a player that's a stop gap. That's why they signed him to the contract they did. Not because they were worried he would be awarded more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

And one gets top pairing/#1D usage... I don't think Ceci is all that good, but he had plenty to back up his deal. To me, that sets where the Z should filter in.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
And one gets top pairing/#1D usage... I don't think Ceci is all that good, but he had plenty to back up his deal. To me, that sets where the Z should filter in.
I just saw someone on Twitter juxtapose the Ceci award with the old long-term contracts of Josi and Faulk among others. Goodness me. Why are we here on HFBoards so much smarter than everyone else? :sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If there's one thing I've noticed this year, it's that people have grossly underestimated the market. It should be way less of a surprise that guys are getting big contracts this summer. The writing has been on the wall for a while.

I think people were stuck in a world where they can get players to re-sign for cheap still. Rantanen, Zadorov, and Barrie are examples of that for the Avs. I've already noticed similar comments about Landy suggesting he won't get a raise. These guys are gonna get paid more than most think.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The NHL has seen a huge spike on contract inflation as a chain reaction to the McDavid deal and now the DD and EK deals that will follow will do the same. Thanks to the expansion of LV teams have the cap to be able to keep the growth growing but until bad deals like the JVR one start to handcuff a decent amount of the teams I would expect this trend to continue as the growth hasn't yet caught up to the cap constraint.

Especially after next UFA teams will be committing a TON of money with all the talent out there many teams will ruin themselves for the next 3-5 with the decisions made in this window of time.

This is actually good for the teams like the Avs with cap space should they continue to show patience in their contracts as it will allow them to take advantage heavily as teams further limit their options over the next few years.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

AD is a solid beat reporter with connections, with that said it is almost impressive someone can continually have such awful hockey opinions on such a frequent basis. Pretty much every opinion the guy has is awful and thankfully his colleagues are there to steer him back into place. That along with his internal "the sky is always falling" point of view is kinda funny after a while.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That one year deal for Stone, probably puts him out of the picture for the Avs for at least a while. He's not able to negotiate an extension now until January.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That one year deal for Stone, probably puts him out of the picture for the Avs for at least a while. He's not able to negotiate an extension now until January.

Stone is a UFA after this season, the AVs can simply wait and pursue him without losing any assets.

Reactions: LTC Pain

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Well technically he can negotiate and come to an agreement. It just can’t be official

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad