Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part X | Offseason Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Trouba is not likely to be a Jet long term I don’t think. I’d call and offer EJ straight up, as I think they would rather a “now” piece than a future piece. One problem I have with our defence is that by the time the Makar/Timmins/Girard pieces really hit their stride, EJ will be past his prime. This way the team gains a lot of crucial years while getting a really similar dman. The Jets wouldn’t have to skip a beat and get a cost controlled defender (who makes less than Trouba is going to demand) that easily replaces what Trouba currently is. They could get better value if they go for futures but they’re a team that’s built to contend right now and I can’t think of another team that would offer a better dman 1 for 1.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He is going to be a hall of famer, and was pivotal to the 01 cup run when Forsberg went down.

Yep, well aware of all that. I get that I'm bordering on sacrilege, I just don't lump Drury in with the big names (Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Roy, Hejduk, Bourque) or even the next-tier-down guys (Tanguay, Blake, Marha). I feel like everyone else does and that's why I think he's overrated. I'll admit though that I'm a lot older now though and have softened on this stance, especially since my once-stellar view of Bob Hartley has since diminished considerably.

And are we sure he's gonna be a Hockey Hall of Famer? Hasn't he been eligible for four years now?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

And before you break out your digital pitchforks and torches, we're talking overrated, not whether or not he was a quality player, which he obviously was. And the trade that sent him away was obviously bad. But I think the "legend" far exceeds the reality.

You can’t make a list of over rated players and only bring up guys who half us hated. You’re going to have to bring up quality fan favorites. Drury was no doubt a quality player, and great in the playoffs, but he wasn’t an elite franchise player some made him out to be.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
In fantasy land it sounds nice, but EJ is going nowhere.
He’s most certainly likely to stay but speaking in such absolutes is unwise. There exists many situations that would get Sakic to trade EJ, I don’t know if Trouba is one of those, but It would be foolish to assume Sakic has EJ as an untouchable no matter what. For every player, there exists a line where if an offer crosses that line, his GM is going to deal him. Whether you believe Trouba is enough to get Sakic to bite or not, just by conceding that such a line exists means the phrase EJ is “going nowhere” is incorrect.

What we do know, is that Sakic has repeatedly stated he wants to get even younger. We also know (or at least believe) that Sakic has had interest in Trouba before, as he was discussing a Duchene/Trouba swap. Lastly it has been reported by Dater that he heard a EJ/Drouin swap was being discussed while Droiun was still with the Lightning, nobody here knows if that conversation actually took place or not but I do believe somebody told Dater that, as it is too specific to be made up I think.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He’s most certainly likely to stay but speaking in such absolutes is unwise. There exists many situations that would get Sakic to trade EJ, I don’t know if Trouba is one of those, but It would be foolish to assume Sakic has EJ as an untouchable no matter what. For every player, there exists a line where if an offer crosses that line, his GM is going to deal him. Whether you believe Trouba is enough to get Sakic to bite or not, just by conceding that such a line exists means the phrase EJ is “going nowhere” is incorrect.

What we do know, is that Sakic has repeatedly stated he wants to get even younger. We also know (or at least believe) that Sakic has had interest in Trouba before, as he was discussing a Duchene/Trouba swap. Lastly it has been reported by Dater that he heard a EJ/Drouin swap was being discussed while Droiun was still with the Lightning, nobody here knows if that conversation actually took place or not but I do believe somebody told Dater that, as it is too specific to be made up I think.

I'll be stunned if EJ is dealt within the next 12 months, he's a massive part of the leadership core that turned things around here and is still a top pairing Dman who I can see easily moving down the lineup as others grow/he regresses.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You can’t make a list of over rated players and only bring up guys who half us hated. You’re going to have to bring up quality fan favorites. Drury was no doubt a quality player, and great in the playoffs, but he wasn’t an elite franchise player some made him out to be.

Nobody really thought Drury was an elite franchise player though. Everyone thought he was an elite #2C/W.

Good defensively, good PKer, great on face-offs, always came up big in the clutch, proven winner that hated losing, and played a big part in their Cup run. Also formed one of the all time best Avalanche lines with Forsberg and Reinprect.

His reputation was well earned IMO. The Avs were never really the same until ROR came along, but by then they were starting a rebuild.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Trouba is not likely to be a Jet long term I don’t think. I’d call and offer EJ straight up, as I think they would rather a “now” piece than a future piece.

Doesn't make sense for the Jets.

Jets can keep Trouba for the next 2 years (RFA).

At best EJ = Trouba for the next 2 years but after that they are stuck with EJ's contract for the following 3 years, which are the "bad" years of his contract.

Trouba for 2 years > EJ for 5 years
or
Trouba for 1.5 year + deadline return > EJ for 5 years

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Doesn't make sense for the Jets.

Jets can keep Trouba for the next 2 years (RFA).

At best EJ = Trouba for the next 2 years but after that they are stuck with EJ's contract for the following 3 years, which are the "bad" years of his contract.

Trouba for 2 years > EJ for 5 years
or
Trouba for 1.5 year + deadline return > EJ for 5 years
This is a good point, I’d like to think EJ will still be useful in two years but it’s hard to know. 6 million at that point wont be a lot against the cap as long as he’s still a top 4 guy. I don’t think most teams would want to have the Trouba situation loom over them for the next two years but Chevy is the most patient GM in the league so who knows.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I might be crazy here, but I think NYR would be a perfect trade target for us to go after in another blockbuster trade that would speed up our rebuild while still keeping our age reasonable.

To Col:
Krieder
Zibanejad

To NYR:
Timmins
Kamenev
Kerfoot
Colorado 2019 second
Colorado 2019 first
Ottawa 2019 third

Lines next year:
Landeskog(25)-MacKinnon(23)-Rantanen(21)
Krieder(27)-Zibanejad(25)-Andrighetto(25)
Nieto(25)-Sodaberg(32)-Jost(20)
Wilson(28)-Compher(23)-Calvert(29)

Average age: 25.25
Cap hit: $74.5 mil

Still leaves us with prospects of:
Kaut
Makar
Meloche
Bowers

Edited: 2019 ott first to 2019 Avs first and Ott third

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I might be crazy here, but I think NYR would be a perfect trade target for us to go after in another blockbuster trade that would speed up our rebuild while still keeping our age reasonable.

To Col:
Krieder
Zibanejad

To NYR:
Timmins
Kamenev
Kerfoot
Colorado 2019 second
Ottawa 2019 first

Lines next year:
Landeskog(25)-MacKinnon(23)-Rantanen(21)
Krieder(27)-Zibanejad(25)-Andrighetto(25)
Nieto(25)-Sodaberg(32)-Jost(20)
Wilson(28)-Compher(23)-Calvert(29)

Average age: 25.25
Cap hit: $74.5 mil

Still leaves us with prospects of:
Kaut
Makar
Meloche
Bowers

Ummmmmm, yeah I'll just keep it short.

f*** no.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's a little closer if you replace the Ottawa 1st with Colorado's...

But still an easy no for me. Avs should not be in the business of moving either first right now. Not yet after just one good year. Its entirely possible this team regresses next year and even the slightest bit of regression means we're outside of the playoffs and looking at a lottery pick.

I really think the Avs best direction is just to stay the course for one more year. See what this team can do together again. And if they build on last season and are a playoff team again... Then you look into moving our 1st++ at the draft next June for that last major piece we need. While still getting to draft likely in the Top 10 with Ottawa's 1st.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Yeah, I have no interest in moving the Avs' 2019 1st. Should have made a move at or before the draft with this years pick if that was the plan. The opportunity has passed IMO. The league is too close and I have too little faith in the Avs to risk it - I doubt the Blues ever imagined they'd miss the playoffs when they moved their 1st a year ago after making the playoffs 5 straight years or something, I doubt the Flames thought they'd fall out, and I certainly don't think Ottawa ever imagined they'd have an epic collapse after their Swedish trip.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Wonder what year, and what position our next blockbuster trade will be for? I think we're past the futures heavy packages which feels nice, and soon we can really target someone

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Wonder what year, and what position our next blockbuster trade will be for? I think we're past the futures heavy packages which feels nice, and soon we can really target someone

imo...another year probably, and itll be center
I hope for the best obviously with our in house solutions but tbh i dont see that no. 2C coming from there
We got 2 1sts if they want to really make a blockbuster by next draft that'll def get the ball rolling

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
imo...another year probably, and itll be center
I hope for the best obviously with our in house solutions but tbh i dont see that no. 2C coming from there
We got 2 1sts if they want to really make a blockbuster by next draft that'll def get the ball rolling

In that case, 2 words: Vincent Trocheck (hey, a guy can dream!). But, seriously, 2C will be solved when the Avs draft Hughes next year. :sarcasm:

Reactions: milehigh11

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I would say likely next offseason. Barrie will have 1 more year on his contract, and with Dumba getting 6M he will likely want ~8M. Unless he takes a hometown discount, with expansion coming and Girard and Zadorov and Timmins/Makar knocking at the door, it would be unwise to pay a 2nd pair dman that kind of money.

Hopefully that Barrie trade will net us a legit #2C if Jost can't cut it there this year. That being said, I have faith in Jost and if we flank him with a strong two-way winger (i.e. Stone) I would have no problem with it. Also, Kamenev still has a shot at filling this hole.

Expansion plan:
7 F: Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Jost, Barrie trade, Kerfoot, Compher/Kamenev/Soderberg
3 D: Z, Girard, EJ
1 G: Grubauer

Exempt: Kaut, Makar, Timmins

Barring an ideal return like Stone, that Barrie trade could be some other more realistic targets like RNH, Drouin, Nylander, etc. I also don't think it would ever happen in real life for countless, but I wouldn't be opposed to exploring a Toews - Barrie swap. He would be ideal behind Mack and make us instant contenders.

Last edited:

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I'd do a Barrie for Getlaf deal in a heartbeat.

Getzlaf is exactly what we need. Tough. great leader. Winner. Plays 100 miles an hour. I'd kill to have him on this team.

Landeskog - Mack - Rantanen
Jost - Getzlaf - Andrighetto
Nieto - Soderberg - Wilson
Calvert - Compher - Kerfoot
Toninato

Zadorov - Johnson
Girard - Cole
Nemeth - Barberio
Alt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad