Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 Part IX l Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Just curious, I wonder what the return would be to take on Hossa's contract from the Hawks?

This year and next year, the Avs can more than afford it. the 3rd and final year is where it might be a thing, but even then I think it is an easy fit OR could be pawned off to another team for a year. But yeah, what is the ask?

Avs are 1-2 years away from their window being fully open....Hawks would be going all in at the end of their window. Why not take some assets away from them for the future so when the Avs window is fully open the Hawks is fully closed?

Avs:
Hossa
Hawks 1st 2020

Hawks:
Conditional 3rd Round Pick 2020 (becomes a 6th round pick if Chicago reaches the WCF in 2019 or 2020)

Hossa probably never plays, but who knows, maybe he decides to come back. Either way. Ask would be high based on the cash involved and the cap hit, but presume Hossa's contract is insured so no real fiscal lost from the Avs.

Maybe more realistic is picking up a few 2nds over a couple of seasons. ? Maybe Wilson goes back the other way to balance it out a bit this year.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Just a thought. Like 99% likely not true. But I wonder if Duchene could have spoken badly about the Avs in a way that would make Karlsson against the option.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Just curious, I wonder what the return would be to take on Hossa's contract from the Hawks?

This year and next year, the Avs can more than afford it. the 3rd and final year is where it might be a thing, but even then I think it is an easy fit OR could be pawned off to another team for a year. But yeah, what is the ask?

Avs are 1-2 years away from their window being fully open....Hawks would be going all in at the end of their window. Why not take some assets away from them for the future so when the Avs window is fully open the Hawks is fully closed?

Avs:
Hossa
Hawks 1st 2020

Hawks:
Conditional 3rd Round Pick 2020 (becomes a 6th round pick if Chicago reaches the WCF in 2019 or 2020)

Hossa probably never plays, but who knows, maybe he decides to come back. Either way. Ask would be high based on the cash involved and the cap hit, but presume Hossa's contract is insured so no real fiscal lost from the Avs.

Maybe more realistic is picking up a few 2nds over a couple of seasons. ? Maybe Wilson goes back the other way to balance it out a bit this year.

Let's not help the blackhawks out of the mess they made

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Avs:
Hossa
Hawks 1st 2020

Hawks:

:laugh:

Oh god.

:laugh:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just a thought. Like 99% likely not true. But I wonder if Duchene could have spoken badly about the Avs in a way that would make Karlsson against the option.

I don't think he'd have come anyway but it certainly didn't help.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Perron is a legit good player, I don't really get why people bash him.
Who’s bashing him?

It’s simply pointing out that point production comes nowhere close to telling the whole story.

Is Barrie better than Doughty because he puts up more points?

Comparing Kerfoot and Stastny? Pointless.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Duchene to the Pens makes more sense than I'd care to admit.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jayricho

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The amount of people in here that are simply OK with having a mediocre season next year, and not really trying to improve off of last season is simply staggering to me. How can anyone in their right mind be OK with possible regression?

I see all this crap about how we are in a good position for the 2019 offseason, but lets take a step back for a second. Let's play devil's advocate on few of the hot button topics.

What if Ottawa is not as bad as people think, and we end up with a mid first like 12-16 range? I see a ton of posters in here pretty much banking on us getting Jack Hughes. Personally I'd say the chances of that are less than 5%, a lot things would have to fall in our favor for that to happen. And when we get the 12-16th pick what does another mid first round pick get us? Another player a few years away.

Let's say we regress, and miss the playoffs. Why would any potential good UFAs want to come to a middling team with no chance of winning the Cup? What big names have we lured to Colorado recently through UFA? The answer is 0. No one wants to come to a team that isn't winning. We miss the playoffs you can pretty much kiss any chance of a Stone or Panarin or pretty much any UFA worth a crap coming here. I don't care how much money you throw at them they aren't going to come to a mid market team with a recent history of missing the playoffs. So really what good is it to have 30M+ in cap space next year if you're not really going to have a chance to use in on anyone of significance. We're not New York or LA or Chicago where the lure of playing a big market is still appealing even if the team is weaker. We have to be a good team for top players to even consider us. Look at Tavares, he wouldn't even consider us. Why would it be any different for other top guys?

At some point or another you have to get better for a prolonged period of time. You can't just keep banking on prospects tearing it up and stuff like winning the 1st overall pick. It might happen, and if so great, but there is also the high likelihood that it won't work out perfectly. Thus why you have to have a plan if it doesn't work out that way. And right now I can't see any other "plan" from Sakic if they don't get significant improvement from their young prospects/players and we don't win a top pick next year who can step in right away and help secondary scoring.

"How can anyone in their right mind be OK with possible regression?"
Because we're still a rebuilding team and the development of our young players and prospects is just as important as the results in the standings to me. I obviously want the Avs to win every game and make the playoffs, but I don't want to hinder the future development of the team in the process. I know you think signing Stastny wouldn't have hindered it, but that's already been discussed.

"What if Ottawa is not as bad as people think, and we end up with a mid first like 12-16 range?"
I think all the Jack Hughes talk isn't entirely serious. It's basically a meme at this point. The fact is, we've already won that trade and pretty much any player we draft with the Ottawa pick will be a great bonus. Nobody is banking the future of this team on Jack Hughes.

Let's say we regress, and miss the playoffs. Why would any potential good UFAs want to come to a middling team with no chance of winning the Cup?
Maybe we miss out on the top ones, but are you claiming that no free agents would ever want to sign here and play with MacKinnon and the rest of our young guys? If we can see that this team has a good future, then so can free agents. And if it genuinely looks like the team doesn't have a good future, then free agents aren't going to fix the problem.

"At some point or another you have to get better for a prolonged period of time."

Yes, and the way to do this is drafting well, developing from within, and filling holes carefully in free agency. I can't think of a single team that signed a top free agent and as a result went from being a rebuilding team to a contender. In fact, the majority of teams who sign top free agents end up regretting the deal.

Also, can everyone please remember that the offseason isn't over and Sakic may not be done making moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender and ndmd99

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
"
"What if Ottawa is not as bad as people think, and we end up with a mid first like 12-16 range?"

I think all the Jack Hughes talk isn't entirely serious. It's basically a meme at this point. The fact is, we've already won that trade and pretty much any player we draft with the Ottawa pick will be a great bonus. Nobody is banking the future of this team on Jack Hughes.

Yeah they dont call it the lottery for nothing , cause if it happened it would be a game changer like getting Tavares for a buck

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jack Hughes talk this year = Dahlin talk from last summer. We thought we'd have a good chance at Dahlin after the 48 pts season, just like we think we have a good chance at Hughes with Ottawa's pick.

Only difference is we may or may not have 2 lottery tickets next year.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
"How can anyone in their right mind be OK with possible regression?"
Because we're still a rebuilding team and the development of our young players and prospects is just as important as the results in the standings to me. I obviously want the Avs to win every game and make the playoffs, but I don't want to hinder the future development of the team in the process. I know you think signing Stastny wouldn't have hindered it, but that's already been discussed.

Let's say we regress, and miss the playoffs. Why would any potential good UFAs want to come to a middling team with no chance of winning the Cup?
Maybe we miss out on the top ones, but are you claiming that no free agents would ever want to sign here and play with MacKinnon and the rest of our young guys? If we can see that this team has a good future, then so can free agents. And if it genuinely looks like the team doesn't have a good future, then free agents aren't going to fix the problem.

"At some point or another you have to get better for a prolonged period of time."

Yes, and the way to do this is drafting well, developing from within, and filling holes carefully in free agency. I can't think of a single team that signed a top free agent and as a result went from being a rebuilding team to a contender. In fact, the majority of teams who sign top free agents end up regretting the deal.

Also, can everyone please remember that the offseason isn't over and Sakic may not be done making moves.

Dorion would have pulled a miracle season out of his ass. Ottawa is awful. Like worst team in the NHL level awful.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dorion would have pulled a miracle season out of his ass. Ottawa is awful. Like worst team in the NHL level awful.

Sounds like everyone's comments about Vegas last summer.

When will people learn that hockey games aren't won on paper? A tighter locker room after all the shit they got + a decent return for EK + young guys that are trying to prove their worth and that team could very well be a bubble team.

One thing you should keep in mind: Ottawa's management knows that it will look bad if they give us a top 5 pick and I'm pretty damn sure that they are tired of looking bad. Expect them to do everything they can to try to avoid it.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Sounds like everyone's comments about Vegas last summer.

When will people learn that hockey games aren't won on paper? A tighter locker room after all the **** they got + a decent return for EK + young guys that are trying to prove their worth and that team could very well be a bubble team.

One thing you should keep in mind: Ottawa's management knows that it will look bad if they give us a top 5 pick and I'm pretty damn sure that they are tired of looking bad. Expect them to do everything they can to try to avoid it.

To me, it all comes down to their goaltending. If Anderson sticks around and has one of his epic seasons, or if they get a good goalie in a trade or something, then they could very easily end up being much better than expected. They might also keep Karlsson, or as you say, get some good players in return for him.

The great thing though from our perspective is that it really doesn't matter. I honestly believe that you could take Ottawa's pick out of the Duchene deal and we still got amazing value for him considering everyone and their mother knew he wanted out of Colorado.

Reactions: ljb4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad