Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 Part IX l Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 116861

So what should Sakic have done? For me it was Tavares or nothing in this free agency and he had a list of teams which did not include the Avs. Nothing you can do about that.

Please dont say Stastny again, or JVR. Those 2 would not have enough impact to make the Avs a better team than they were last year. Avs had a younger Stastny for many years and that didn't get them anywhere, why would older Stastny be any better. And if you're a smart GM, you don't spend 7 mill on one dimensional winger like JVR who may score 30 goals and get you 10 assists for 40 points. No thanks.

Basically other than Tavares, there wasn't much available to make the Avs a better team for next year.

I don't get this at all. The alternative was signing Cole and Calvert, those two won't make enough of an impact to make the Aves a better team than last year.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't get this at all. The alternative was signing Cole and Calvert, those two won't make enough of an impact to make the Aves a better team than last year.
Cole and Calvert wont make the Avs a better team, they are just couple of depth signings. Stastny or JVR wouldn't make the Avs take the next step even if they may have helped a little, like winning few more regular season games. I mean I would have taken Stastny or JVR, but not at the price they got. Would have given 4.5 or 5 to Stastny and 5.5 to JVR.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Cole will, but Calvert is a 1/1 replacement for Comeau obviously.

Our bottom pairing was an issue for a lot of last year even outside of injuries and depth having to play above their heads. Cole gives us a guy who can play up the lineup a lot better than Nemeth and Barbs can. I think right now our top 7 D looks a lot more stable throughout personally.

Getting contributions from Timmins or Meloche will be a bonus not a necessity like it was with Warsoft, Barbs, Nemeth, Lindholm, etc.

I don't think that should be understated personally.

Now if you want to talk about the middle of our forward lineup lol..

Reactions: MarkT

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The real question is: if we don't make the playoffs next year, how many of the big free agents we want next summer will be interested in coming here?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The real question is: if we don't make the playoffs next year, how many of the big free agents we want next summer will be interested in coming here?

Don't need any big free agents when you're adding Makar, Kaut, and Jack freakin Hughes.

Reactions: milehigh11

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is a very real chance Avs will be a better team having fewer points than last year. Central is very tough and it's hard to repeat the special team success of last year.

Do we just evaluate success from the standings or also from young players becoming better players?

Reactions: MarkT and Goulet17

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Interesting you chose that, because I wouldn't want Getzlaf on his contract and at his age lol.
He was just an example of a guy that scored 11 goals last season. Point was that Palat isn't a natural goal scorer but brings so much more to the table while still being capable of 50-60 points, but you know this about him already.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Zero - most likely. But then again, if we are actually making the playoffs with that roster ... again, wouldn't that send a strong message to the rest of the league - and to the FA's as well? Not an easy task i agree, but not impossible either.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Let's not forget that we made the playoffs but:

1) on the very last game of the season
2) we had a 10 games winning streak
3) we had a Hart worthy season from Mack
4) Dallas lost like 9 in a row for some obscur reason
5) STL traded their 1C at the deadline

Considering all this, missing the playoffs by a handful of points next year wouldn't necessarily be a regression. Especially with 3 bubble teams (Dallas, STL and Calgary) getting better.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm not worried. As of now, no team in central has gotten better other than the Blues, and Avs haven't gotten worse. They actually got better depth on defense and in net next year, haven't lost any forwards that would set the team back.

There is a very good chance guys like Jost, Kerfoot, Girard take steps forward and make the Avs even a better team. There is also a good chance a team like Nashville doesn't repeat a president's trophy season and drops down a little.

I dont know why some of you think Avs will miss the playoffs. I'd start worrying a little if Dallas gets Karlsson, because that would almost guarantee that Stars will take one of the playoff spots in central as well as Blues, Jets and Preds.

Right now Avs are in good shape though

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He didn't set us back a couple years we still have a bunch of nice prospects, picks and young players moving forward. What he did do, is sit around doing nothing of value and watched the Western conference get even tougher. Making it nearly impossible for us to have a successful playoff caliber season next season which is incredibly frustrating to some of us in here. Some of us are not OK with losing and want to continue the success of last year. Some prefer the wait it out method.

Not sure either method is right. But I feel as if you need to keep making progress, which IMO did not happen and we kind of stagnated and are in the praying for a lot of things to go right over the next few seasons mode. Which might not work out.

What did you want Sakic to do this off-season?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So what should Sakic have done? For me it was Tavares or nothing in this free agency and he had a list of teams which did not include the Avs. Nothing you can do about that.

Please dont say Stastny again, or JVR. Those 2 would not have enough impact to make the Avs a better team than they were last year. Avs had a younger Stastny for many years and that didn't get them anywhere, why would older Stastny be any better. And if you're a smart GM, you don't spend 7 mill on one dimensional winger like JVR who may score 30 goals and get you 10 assists for 40 points. No thanks.

Basically other than Tavares, there wasn't much available to make the Avs a better team for next year.
So signing Cole and Calvert to 7M combined helped what? I'd actually been happier if we didn't do anything than spend that on two middling players, that make no difference what so ever and could have been played by young guys.

And you're just simply wrong about Stastny. He would have helped immeasurably and I would have gladly paid the 7M to make it happen and said no to Cole and Calvert. Stastny then can shelter the young guys like Jost, Kerfoot etc. and on top of that give you a decent option behind MacKinnon (taking some pressure off MacKinnon) that teams would actually have to semi worry about. So yeah at this point Stastny is a much better option than Jost in the 2C position. Maybe not 2 years from now but we worry about that down the line.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What did you want Sakic to do this off-season?
For me it was Stastny or do nothing and stick to the "plan". But we swung and missed on Stastny, and then signed 2 guys that don't fit the "Plan" (younger/faster) in any way and don't help the 2nd line problem in any way.

Sure I've been advocating that you need to continue getting results but if Sakic hadn't done anything I'd been fine with that because at least the signal would have been we are still rebuilding. Instead he sent mixed signals by signing two strange vets that don't really hurt or help the team. So what is it... rebuilding still or are we trying to stay competitive after making the playoffs?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There is a very real chance Avs will be a better team having fewer points than last year. Central is very tough and it's hard to repeat the special team success of last year.

Do we just evaluate success from the standings or also from young players becoming better players?
Unfortunately this is a results based industry so I say it's about winning more that individual players becoming better players. At some point you have to start winning on a consistent basis. At what point does prospects getting slightly better become we need these players to start winning?

It seems like for 10+ years now we've been hoping for prospects to improve so that we can start winning. It seems like to me we need to move past the moral victories and on to real life wins in the standings.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So signing Cole and Calvert to 7M combined helped what? I'd actually been happier if we didn't do anything than spend that on two middling players, that make no difference what so ever and could have been played by young guys.

And you're just simply wrong about Stastny. He would have helped immeasurably and I would have gladly paid the 7M to make it happen and said no to Cole and Calvert. Stastny then can shelter the young guys like Jost, Kerfoot etc. and on top of that give you a decent option behind MacKinnon (taking some pressure off MacKinnon) that teams would actually have to semi worry about. So yeah at this point Stastny is a much better option than Jost in the 2C position. Maybe not 2 years from now but we worry about that down the line.
All I know is that when Avs had Stastny, most people here were happy Avs didnt resign him at 7 mill, so its puzzling to me that everyone is willing to give him 7 mill now, to an older Stastny. Just doesn't make sense

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
All I know is that when Avs had Stastny, most people here were happy Avs didnt resign him at 7 mill, so its puzzling to me that everyone is willing to give him 7 mill now, to an older Stastny. Just doesn't make sense
Really?

You don’t think it had anything to do with having Mackinnon, ROR and Duchene the last time around?

As opposed to just Mackinnon now? And maybe, hopefully Jost?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Really?

You don’t think it had anything to do with having Mackinnon, ROR and Duchene the last time around?

As opposed to just Mackinnon now? And maybe, hopefully Jost?
Or the fact that the cap is higher now.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
For me it was Stastny or do nothing and stick to the "plan". But we swung and missed on Stastny, and then signed 2 guys that don't fit the "Plan" (younger/faster) in any way and don't help the 2nd line problem in any way.

Sure I've been advocating that you need to continue getting results but if Sakic hadn't done anything I'd been fine with that because at least the signal would have been we are still rebuilding. Instead he sent mixed signals by signing two strange vets that don't really hurt or help the team. So what is it... rebuilding still or are we trying to stay competitive after making the playoffs?

I wanted Stastny too. Disagree on Calvert though. He's not a young player, but he's very fast and five year Blake Comeau's junior.

Ian Cole is just there to solidify the defense. I think the money is high, but he's a solid player.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Not to mention Tavares may as well have had a list with one team on it anyway. I really dont think anyone but Toronto had a shot.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Different times. When Stastny took his offer in St Louis 7M was elite level money, now 7M is 2nd line money.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I wanted Stastny too. Disagree on Calvert though. He's not a young player, but he's very fast and five year Blake Comeau's junior.

Ian Cole is just there to solidify the defense. I think the money is high, but he's a solid player.
That's fair on Calvert so I guess we did technically get younger and faster there.

I hate don't hate Cole the player. I just really don't see the purpose of wasting the money. He isn't going to be that catalyst that vaults us to that next level, so why not just stay the path and let a guy like Meloche or Timmins try and make the team. If they can't you still have 6 NHL caliber dmen in EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard, Barberio, Nemeth and Alt/Lindholm as reasonable fill ins.

Do I think Cole helps the overall depth, sure. But it just seems rather pointless to spend 4M to help your depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad