Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 Part IX l Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
"Younger and Faster" isn't the answer to everything. Stastny is 32 - so what? Ovi is 32 - and he finally did it. You need a good mixture to have success. And we don't have that. And if we continue to strike out on FA's like we did last week we aren't going anywhere.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wouldn't be opposed to getting him, could possibly help that secondary scoring issue. Plus it might help Kaut to have another player from Czech.

But I'd say the chances of us even being in on him is less that 1%.

If skating is his biggest weakness (comes from HF posters) then I doubt we'd be in on him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Aside from a couple elite #2C's, and overpaid vets, $7M+ is still reserved for 1st line centers.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
You can't compare contracts that were signed in previous seasons. Different scenarios and lower salary cap. I'd venture to guess that 6.5M (Stastny's actual cap hit) is somewhat in line with other 2Cs around the league if you take into consideration when each player signed there deal (since the salary cap went up every year) and what percentage of the salary cap did they occupy for the team that signed them.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If skating is his biggest weakness (comes from HF posters) then I doubt we'd be in on him.
Agreed, that's why I said there was probably less than 1% chance that we are in on him. I'd still take him just based on the fact he has put up some numbers in Russia. He's probably better than some of the options we are going to be rolling with on the 2nd line.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
That's fair on Calvert so I guess we did technically get younger and faster there.

I hate don't hate Cole the player. I just really don't see the purpose of wasting the money. He isn't going to be that catalyst that vaults us to that next level, so why not just stay the path and let a guy like Meloche or Timmins try and make the team. If they can't you still have 6 NHL caliber dmen in EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard, Barberio, Nemeth and Alt/Lindholm as reasonable fill ins.

Do I think Cole helps the overall depth, sure. But it just seems rather pointless to spend 4M to help your depth.

I think the Cole signing is due to a combination for contextual factors, mostly health related.

Erik Johnson has a long injury history. Patrik Nemeth does, too, and will probably miss the start of the year due to off-season shoulder surgery. Zadorov also had shoulder surgery this off-season. Mark Barberio has never played more than 60 games in a season (and did the Avs ever explain the nature of his injury which caused him to miss nearly half of last season?)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You can't compare contracts that were signed in previous seasons. Different scenarios and lower salary cap. I'd venture to guess that 6.5M (Stastny's actual cap hit) is somewhat in line with other 2Cs around the league if you take into consideration when each player signed there deal (since the salary cap went up every year) and what percentage of the salary cap did they occupy for the team that signed them.

True, but those are the only contracts to use as comparables. Can't use future contracts that haven't been signed yet.

Also, Stastny's deal is really a few hundred thousand more for all intents and purposes, due to playing half his games in a no tax state.

Staz is a good player, but he definitely got overpaid based on his playoffs last year. He's about to turn 33 and hasn't put up more than 49 points in a season since he left Colorado. He's solid defensively, but he's not in that ROR/Bergeron category.

Reactions: MarkT

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think the Cole signing is due to a combination for contextual factors, mostly health related.

Erik Johnson has a long injury history. Patrik Nemeth does, too, and will probably miss the start of the year due to off-season shoulder surgery. Zadorov also had shoulder surgery this off-season. Mark Barberio has never played more than 60 games in a season (and did the Avs ever explain the nature of his injury which caused him to miss nearly half of last season?)
I just don't feel like we should be signing a guy to a 3 year deal because we might have some injury issues at the beginning of year 1 of the contract. By year 2/3 I'd hope that Meloche, Makar and Timmins are all regulars on top of EJ, Girard and Zadorov

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I just don't feel like we should be signing a guy to a 3 year deal because we might have some injury issues at the beginning of year 1 of the contract. By year 2/3 I'd hope that Meloche, Makar and Timmins are all regulars on top of EJ, Girard and Zadorov

That's kind of counting your eggs before they hatch though. If that happens cool, Cole/Nemeth move down the depth charts or are traded.

Reactions: MarkT and Waingro

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
With Brassard being on an expiring contract, I wouldn't be shocked to see Duchene sign with Penguins in a year.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Cole is also an upgrade on Barberio and Nemeth, of course.

The truth is we don't know what the defense will look like in 2-3 years. Prospects will bust, guys will be traded, etc. A year ago all of us were talking about Chris Bigras, Andrei Mironov, and Anton Lindholm making a NHL impact.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
With Brassard being on an expiring contract, I wouldn't be shocked to see Duchene sign with Penguins in a year.

I think they've been the frontrunner the whole time. Especially now that Toronto brought in Tavares.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

giphy.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So signing Cole and Calvert to 7M combined helped what? I'd actually been happier if we didn't do anything than spend that on two middling players, that make no difference what so ever and could have been played by young guys.

And you're just simply wrong about Stastny. He would have helped immeasurably and I would have gladly paid the 7M to make it happen and said no to Cole and Calvert. Stastny then can shelter the young guys like Jost, Kerfoot etc. and on top of that give you a decent option behind MacKinnon (taking some pressure off MacKinnon) that teams would actually have to semi worry about. So yeah at this point Stastny is a much better option than Jost in the 2C position. Maybe not 2 years from now but we worry about that down the line.
So you would pay 7 mill for Stastny who in 82 games had 53 points where Kerfoot had 43 points in 79 games as a rookie while making 1 or so mill a year. It's not a long shot to think Kerfoot will score 7 more points in his sophomore season for 50 points. I know Stastny is a good two way forward and all, good on faceoffs etc.. but that's not worth 7 mill. I rather give a mill to Kerfoot and have him develop on that 2nd line who most likely will put up a same type of offensive production as Stastny

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So you would pay 7 mill for Stastny who in 82 games had 53 points where Kerfoot had 43 points in 79 games as a rookie while making 1 or so mill a year. It's not a long shot to think Kerfoot will score 7 more points in his sophomore season for 50 points. I know Stastny is a good two way forward and all, good on faceoffs etc.. but that's not worth 7 mill. I rather give a mill to Kerfoot and have him develop on that 2nd line who most likely will put up a same type of offensive production as Stastny
We need someone who can play two way hockey and actually win a faceoff. Kerfoot is not that guy. His offense is nice, but that is all he really brings to the table. Kerfoot should be a winger, not a center.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We need someone who can play two way hockey and actually win a faceoff. Kerfoot is not that guy. His offense is nice, but that is all he really brings to the table. Kerfoot should be a winger, not a center.
I agree with that, but still not at 7 mill for Stastny. He's about 2 mill overpaid IMO.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I agree with that, but still not at 7 mill for Stastny. He's about 2 mill overpaid IMO.
Sure but with our cap space I'd gladly overpaid by a bit to have a 2C that can play the position competently for the next 3 seasons while guys like Jost are still developing into that role.

Reactions: McMetal

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
This is the equivalent of comparing David Perron to Barkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->