Confirmed with Link: Avs Match O'Reilly Offer Sheet Part II [2 yrs 10 m, 5m AAV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
i don't think there are any issues between the two of them.
i think it's simply Duchene trying to make a point that he doesn't agree with the way the situation went down because ROR essentially left his teammates high and dry to get paid.

that stuff was probably resolved the minute ROR was at practice for the first time. it's kind of like you and your brother fighting over something and then after a couple of hours or days you're buddies again.

I caught my brother playing with my toy soldier. So I pushed his head into the hot coals and held him there. I don't think we've ever moved past that.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
To be honest, he's deserving of it. The Avs' brass shouldn't have been so keen on pinning the C on a kid as a lame PR stunt.

Not saying Landy isn't deserving of the C, but no kid really is at this age. If the Duke didn't want it anymore, they should've just gone with NO captain this year.

i don't think it was a PR stunt. Lando is the exact type of player the brass seeks to draft. tough,gritty,he grinds,he's a leader and a great player.

but Duchene is the guy i assumed would be the next captain of the team. i didn't see Lando getting it but i think either he or Duchene were the best options.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
i don't think it was a PR stunt. Lando is the exact type of player the brass seeks to draft. tough,gritty,he grinds,he's a leader and a great player.

but Duchene is the guy i assumed would be the next captain of the team. i didn't see Lando getting it but i think either he or Duchene were the best options.

I think PR was the primary motivating factor--hey, look everybody, we have the youngest captain in NHL history!--but it wasn't the only one.

It would've been nice, especially with a team this young, for the players to evolve and play at their own pace, and pin the C on one of them after a few seasons. This was way too impetuous and I fear that putting it on a kid that young might mess up his game a little. Time will tell, but I'll always feel it was a mistake to do it this soon.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think PR was the primary motivating factor--hey, look everybody, we have the youngest captain in NHL history!--but it wasn't the only one.

It would've been nice, especially with a team this young, for the players to evolve and play at their own pace, and pin the C on one of them after a few seasons. This was way too impetuous and I fear that putting it on a kid that young might mess up his game a little. Time will tell, but I'll always feel it was a mistake to do it this soon.

i agree it was too soon but i doubt it harms his game. he's mature beyond his years. my only worry with him is staying completely healthy the rest of this season. almost every damn important Av has been hurt this year and it needs to stop so we can at least have a fully healthy team and see what we have.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I thought we all agreed this summer that Duchene was nowhere near captain-material? I guess it all changed when he started putting up points again.

I don't care about that. Landeskog is a born leader and basically was namned captain the second we drafted him.

I don't really care who on the team is the best player, for me, captaincy is about other stuff. I know it's very common in the NHL that you only put the C on the best player, but I really dont like that.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I thought we all agreed this summer that Duchene was nowhere near captain-material? I guess it all changed when he started putting up points again.

I don't care about that. Landeskog is a born leader and basically was namned captain the second we drafted him.

I don't really care who on the team is the best player, for me, captaincy is about other stuff. I know it's very common in the NHL that you only put the C on the best player, but I really dont like that.

I don't think it's because Duchene is putting up points again.

I think most see a real difference in his attitude, his mentality.

He really seems to have matured over the summer/lockout. It shows in how he's playing, not only when he's scoring.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't give a damn about best player either, but pinning it on a 19-year-old kid is too soon IMO, I don't care if it happened to work with generational talents like Crosby and Toews, doesn't mean the Avs have to do it.

Usually you want to pin the C on a guy who at least has staying power on the roster (to avoid silly situations like Dave Lowry in Calgary or Buchberger/Moreau in Edmonton) but it doesn't have to be the team's best player.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I would have prefered Hejduk to hold on to the C another year too. But he wanted to give it up so I think it was the right decision to give it to Landy rather than giving it to Hejda or someone for a year. Landy is the leader of this generation of the Avs and could might as well take the C now IMO.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

well in general the best pure leaders on your team aren't top 4 guys on your roster. those guys tend to move around a lot or don't contribute outside of the locker room.
you kind of want your captain to be the face of the franchise and someone who will be with the team for many seasons to come, someone who the fans connect with and think of whenever you mention the name of the franchise.
your best player tends to evoke those emotions, your best pure leaders do not. they're fan favorites, scrappy and gritty guys who you never want to see leave but in most cases they do.

it has little to do with his points. it's his entire attitude and game taking a step forward.
much better on defense though he'll never be elite, he's been the on ice leader of this club all season and his overall maturation off the ice in terms of how he handles his media duties and interviews is insanely better.
it's like he's switched from just being a young guy trying to belong to a guy who wants the pressure of being "the man" and all that comes with it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Matt Duchene @Matt9Duchene
Court side tonight at the #Nuggets vs #Clippers game with @ryanobyrne84 @ShaneOBrien55 and @PAParenteau

Chambers: "In their rookie year Duchene and O'Reilly used to go to Nuggets games together. Now O'Reilly isn't invited and their relationship is on ice" :sarcasm:

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I caught my brother playing with my toy soldier. So I pushed his head into the hot coals and held him there.

attachment.php

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Matt Duchene @Matt9Duchene
Court side tonight at the #Nuggets vs #Clippers game with @ryanobyrne84 @ShaneOBrien55 and @PAParenteau

So how much Vodka did Dutchy and SOB sneak into the game is the real question? They're probably s***faced trying to do mock interviews with the players between periods.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So how much Vodka did Dutchy and SOB sneak into the game is the real question? They're probably s***faced trying to do mock interviews with the players between periods.

Jones has been drinking it all.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Jones has been drinking it all.

I think Chambers has been drinking it all.

What in Hades is the guy's obsession with whether Duchene's mouth is wrapped around O'Reilly's johnson? I don't think Chambers has eclipsed Dater's man-love for Phaneuf from a few years back, but he's getting close. We're beyond 'who cares' territory, and closing in on 'creepy'.

Last edited:

BusterBluth

Jan 2, 2012
Chambers: "In their rookie year Duchene and O'Reilly used to go to Nuggets games together. Now O'Reilly isn't invited and their relationship is on ice" :sarcasm:

Well that explains why Barrie tweeted this:
@tysonbarrie
"@Matt9Duchene @ryanobyrne84 @shaneobrien55 @paparenteau I didn't want to go anyway..."

Rookie Problems :laugh:

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Well that explains why Barrie tweeted this:
@tysonbarrie
"@Matt9Duchene @ryanobyrne84 @shaneobrien55 @paparenteau I didn't want to go anyway..."

Rookie Problems :laugh:

Woulda been funnier if it was O'Reilly who said that. :laugh:

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
I think Chambers has been drinking it all.

What in Hades is the guy's obsession with whether Duchene's mouth is wrapped around O'Reilly's johnson? I don't think Chambers has eclipsed Dater's man-love for Phaneuf from a few years back, but he's getting close. We're beyond 'who cares' territory, and closing in on 'creepy'.

If I'm an Avalanche player, I don't give any interviews to Dater or Chambers based on their desire to spin every harmless quote into more undeniable proof of a locker room split (maybe)!

Would be nice to see some consequences for shameless, cowardly journalism, anyway.

I do think Dater and Chambers take a lot of direction on what to report based on these boards, though. Being that this is a board populated by hockey fans who have read all the most up-to-date information and are just waiting for the next story, it makes sense that Dater/Chambers would scout out the hot-topics here and give the readers what they want.

So I don't really understand how people here can wildly speculate for months about O'Reilly and Duchene having problems, and O'Reilly having problems not being captain, and O'Reilly not liking Stastny etc etc., and then get mad when Dater/Chambers "report" on it. They're just giving the lambs what they want, after all.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
O'Reilly wearing a blank logo less black hat in an interview after practice today. Can't say I recall a player doing that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad