Confirmed with Link: Avs Match O'Reilly Offer Sheet Part II [2 yrs 10 m, 5m AAV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm excited to see O'Reilly play tomorrow night.

I thought he was gone for sure and was anxious to see what the Avalanche would receive in a trade for him. But now that he's back, hopefully he'll have improved in the off-season and the Avalanche will end up with dynamic 1-2 punch down the middle.

A lot of people are already speculating ahead to February 28, 2014, but I think this business blows over if the Avalanche are successful.

Landeskog The Viking

Duchene The Boss
Jul 5, 2007
NS Canada
Just happy this BS is over people saying he'll never become a 6.5m player are wrong imo i can see him being a 70pt great defensive player if that wouldn't get a player around 6.5m in todays market or down the road in 2yrs your delusional

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Duchene vs O'Reilly!

20130302__20130303_C5_SP03HKNDATER~p1.jpg

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Duchene vs O'Reilly!

20130302__20130303_C5_SP03HKNDATER~p1.jpg
YEAH, this is rivlary Dater wrotes during ROR holdout ;)

I'm happy he is back, don't like how this process went and I think kid should change his agents and don't listen to his father. I know he won't change agents after they put 9+ millions into his pocket, but maybe it happens before his contract expires or they change their attitude and next negotiations will be much easier. I hope O'Reilly don't go "Phaneuf" and play like crap after new contract. I bet he makes really good first impression tonight, maybe even score a goal.

Mant*

I just realized something.

I still got my wish.

O'Reilly ended up on a team that isn't going to see cup success for a long ass time.

Awesome.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't want O'Reilly put on the 2nd line, just because he is making bank.

I want him to earn it. I want him to tear it up out there, earn his place on the 2nd line, and be on pace for a 70+ point season.

And then I want him to repeat that next year, so he (and TPS) can laugh at everyone and say, "I told you so."

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't want O'Reilly put on the 2nd line, just because he is making bank.

I want him to earn it. I want him to tear it up out there, earn his place on the 2nd line, and be on pace for a 70+ point season.

And then I want him to repeat that next year, so he (and TPS) can laugh at everyone and say, "I told you so."

Then Avalanche will trade him for franchise defenseman and re-sign Stastny. I'm okay with that.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If that's how it has to go down, and if that's best for the team, I'm OK with it, too. If he plays his ass off, he'll maximize his trade value.

Our future would look sooo much brighter if we keept O'Reilly and traded Stastny. But that is just not gonna happen...

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
He better play well. I hate the idea of paying our 3rd line center the big bucks.

I can't believe how excited I am to watch the game today though just because he's back. He was on the team all year last year and I never felt like this.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
I'm super excited to have Ryan playing with us again, i don't think we would have been happy with the kind of return that teams were offering us, but the team botched this one, they had to know that something along the lines of the offer sheet Calgary presented was a possibility and instead of working things out they let it fester into what it became.

A trade at the deadline next year is not really an option as i don't see team lining up to pay a ransom price for an impending rfa with a QO of 6.5 mill. I might be wrong, but logically i don't see that being the case.

The only real option in my opinion is to play out this season and start negotiations on a long term deal in between 5/5.75 mill for 4 to 8 years. I believe Ryan will be worth that kind of money and really we have no choices if we want to retain him long term.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'm super excited to have Ryan playing with us again, i don't think we would have been happy with the kind of return that teams were offering us, but the team botched this one, they had to know that something along the lines of the offer sheet Calgary presented was a possibility and instead of working things out they let it fester into what it became.

A trade at the deadline next year is not really an option as i don't see team lining up to pay a ransom price for an impending rfa with a QO of 6.5 mill. I might be wrong, but logically i don't see that being the case.

The only real option in my opinion is to play out this season and start negotiations on a long term deal in between 5/5.75 mill for 4 to 8 years. I believe Ryan will be worth that kind of money and really we have no choices if we want to retain him long term.
Yeah, only works if O'Reilly plays out of this world, and why wouldn't we then want to keep him (not counting in the PL effect)

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006

Yep. Avs fans better be hoping that management isn't hell-bent on trading O'Reilly and are open to seeing how he continues to develop as a player before deciding on a plan. Really, this would only be the logical and rational thing to do -- precisely why I'd worry they won't do it, however. They just might let their vindictiveness get the better of them.

I'm betting that the Avs are leaning towards trading him off if he doesn't vastly exceed expectations -- i.e. if he continues his strong defensive play and chips in 70+ points, I imagine they'll have to keep him. But if he only puts up ~50 points next season, what will they do? I know a lot of you would want to see him traded, and I can't imagine management would feel different.

But here's the thing: the Avs aren't going to get nearly as much in return for O'Reilly at that level of production with that contract and QO. Gone will be the idea that this is a young player ready to break out and become one of the top centers in the game, who could potentially be signed long-term for $4-5M. He will be labeled a $5-6M 3rd line center -- and good luck getting a good return on that.

Avs fans better hope the Avs are at least open to the idea of keeping O'Reilly around. Because if they signed this offer sheet with the intention of trading him in a year, they aren't going to get anywhere near the return they thought they were going to get.

And laugh all you want at Papa O'Reilly's tweets, but I can tell you, ROR would pick up on that hostility and his motivation will drop. From what I can tell, O'Reilly has a very high emotional intellect and guys like that need to feel wanted in order to thrive. Signing him just to try to trade him off for more could be the biggest blunder about this whole fiasco. So ya, better hope the Avs are approaching this with a blank slate.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think O'Reilly needs more than one 55 point season before we come to that conclusion.

Even if he just puts up 55 points and play like he did last year I'm confident that Duchene and O'Reilly would grow into what Boston has in Seguin and Bergeron. But I guess I'm biased.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't know if this Garroich article's been posted yet.

I'd read that Sather had stepped away from the ROR trade talks because the price was too high. I'd thought the'd meant ROR's salary demands.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/01...sign-rfa-ryan-oreilly-backfires-spectacularly

Had the Flames not made the offer, O'Reilly would have been dealt to the East. The Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings and Calgary all tried to make deals, but Sherman was trying to send him to either the New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs or Tampa Bay Lightning.

The asking price in a trade was rich. League executives say the Avs wanted a player, prospect and No. 1 pick from any team. In the case of the Rangers, sources say the ask was D Michael Del Zotto, LW Chris Kreider and a pick.

"That is nuts," said the insider.

Last edited by a moderator:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If Staz could play well on the wing, and between the "3Cs" they cost this team <18m/yr (6.5+5.5+5.5) I would love to keep them all. Staz may be overpaid, but he's been a pretty good guy for this organization. Really gonna be hard if the team has to choose between them.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't know if this Garroich article's been posted yet.

I'd read that Sather had stepped away from the ROR trade talks because the price was too high. I'd thought the'd meant ROR's salary demands.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/01...sign-rfa-ryan-oreilly-backfires-spectacularly
Had the Flames not made the offer, O'Reilly would have been dealt to the East. The Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings and Calgary all tried to make deals, but Sherman was trying to send him to either the New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs or Tampa Bay Lightning.

The asking price in a trade was rich. League executives say the Avs wanted a player, prospect and No. 1 pick from any team. In the case of the Rangers, sources say the ask was D Michael Del Zotto, LW Chris Kreider and a pick.

"That is nuts," said the insider.

MDZ is decent right now and I think he'll turn out to be a solid #3 d-man at best and Radar at this point in time carries a lot more value than MDZ, Kreider is so overhyped by the NY media it's not even funny, I just don't see him becoming as good as some people want to make you believe and I doubt that pick was a 1st rounder since the Rags don't have theirs this year. So no, Sherman asking for that return is everything but nuts.

Anyway I don't buy this article one bit since it lists Tampa Bay as a team that was in talks with Colorado, since they're pretty much set at center with Stamkos and Vinny and they don't have a realistic target for Colorado on their roster. Nucks and the Things had absolutely no chance at getting Radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad