Seravalli: Avs looking to add a goalie

Ledge And Dairy

Holy homer hot take.

Girard is a year younger than Kylinton
416 games / 28 G / 153 A / 181 pts / .435 PPG / 20:42 TOI

Kylington
168 games / 14 G / 33 A / 47 pts / .28 PPG / 15:21 TOI

You think these are equal level players? That’s got to be a joke you’re trying to make.

Vladar makes $2.1mm and saves 89.9% of the shots he faces. That’s whatever. Not amazing.

Zary isn’t going to make your team this year. He’s an older draft year player so about to be 22 this week with zero NHL games on his resume.
So games played is how we determine how good a player is? Just because it takes a player longer to develop does not make them worse. Refer to Tage Thompson.

I personally wouldn't trade Kylington for girard 1 for 1. Kylington has proven to be quite a good player when he's playing whereas Girard is overpaid (albeit not much but is).

I've talked in ad nasium in here about Vladar I'm not repeating myself again

Zary was literally the best prospect in camp last year, then went out and had an excellent season in the AHL. Why do you think he has zero chance of making the Flames roster?

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Not sure if this has been posted (probably has) but the Avs target is apparently Spencer Martin according to Friedman.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So games played is how we determine how good a player is? Just because it takes a player longer to develop does not make them worse. Refer to Tage Thompson.

I personally wouldn't trade Kylington for girard 1 for 1. Kylington has proven to be quite a good player when he's playing whereas Girard is overpaid (albeit not much but is).

I've talked in ad nasium in here about Vladar I'm not repeating myself again

Zary was literally the best prospect in camp last year, then went out and had an excellent season in the AHL. Why do you think he has zero chance of making the Flames roster?
Games played matters a ton. It defines if you’re good enough to play in the NHL. As does TOI as well as PPG. Girard blows Kylington out on all three metrics. And Girard is a year younger than Kylington as well as contractually bound vs heading into UFA next summer.

I can scream that Ryan Johansen is as good a Lindholm until I’m blue in the face. Doesn’t make it true. The stats don’t back up my gut or shooting from the hip.

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Games played matters a ton. It defines if you’re good enough to play in the NHL. As does TOI as well as PPG. Girard blows Kylington out on all three metrics.

I can scream that Ryan Johansen is as good a Lindholm until I’m blue in the face. Doesn’t make it true. The stats don’t back up my gut or shooting from the hip.
So you're saying if Player A was in the NHL 4 years ago and Player B only played 2 seasons, that we judge their talent by their seasons where only one should play in the NHL? If those 2 players have exactly the same stats in the current season, that we judge them based on 4 years ago....

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So because Kylington hasn't played as many games as Girard you are holding that against him? Take a look at Kylington's most recent season. Not everyone develops on the same curve. Kylington's last season was very comparable to Girard the same season. Why would you compare every year before? How does that even make sense?

Zary may make the team as well....

Why are you always in Flames threads when you literally are always wrong about everything?
Of course? Why wouldn't it be held against him. The dude either can't stay healthy enough to play consistently or isn't good enough.

He isn't some young prospect trying to break through. He's older than Girard.

Bowen Byrams games played are a significant detractor for him as well. Because he hasnt shown any sort of ability to stay healthy consistently so far...

Throw in the fact that Girard also has the much better impact over the far bigger sample size and quite frankly it is an embarrassing homer take to thing Kylington is even close to him at this point.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Of course? Why wouldn't it be held against him. The dude either can't stay healthy enough to play consistently or isn't good enough.

Bowen Byrams games played are a significant detractor for him as well. Because he hasnt shown any sort of ability to stay healthy consistently so far...

Throw in the fact that Girard also has the much better impact over the far bigger sample size and quite frankly it is an embarrassing homer take to thing Kylington is even close to him at this point.
Some good points being made here by Avs fans. I'm very bullish on Kylington myself if he can get his life sorted out and get on the ice. But pretending his inability to live life doesn't effect his value is silly. Avs fans are finally thinking straight since they dumped that bum Stastny.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Came in here wondering if there was any more information about us getting a goalie. Find people saying a guy who's played one full season is better than Sam Girard. I think I'll leave the thread now.

Reactions: Alienblood

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

So every player should develop at the same rate at the same time? So if Kylington was a late bloomer, he can never be better than the guy who was more NHL ready but really hasn't gotten better over time?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So you're saying if Player A was in the NHL 4 years ago and Player B only played 2 seasons, that we judge their talent by their seasons where only one should play in the NHL? If those 2 players have exactly the same stats in the current season, that we judge them based on 4 years ago....
Availability is probably the most important stat in sports. But the fact Girard has a much larger sample size of TOI and PPG makes this a blowout comparison, which is why the Flames added a mediocre backup G and 2020 1st round pick to the deal. That first round pick having played zero NHL games while already being 22 years old so no exactly a sure thing.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So every player should develop at the same rate at the same time? So if Kylington was a late bloomer, he can never be better than the guy who was more NHL ready but really hasn't gotten better over time?
Kylington has one good NHL season to his resume. And he followed that up by going AWOL for a full season and his awol again last week.

That’s why I pondered a change of scenery deal because he’s clearly not engaging with the Flames.

However, His issues could be greater than which team he plays for.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Certainly curious that they didn't get in on Montreal's business before the Canucks jumped on it with the DeSmith/Pearson dump deal. But the Avs are probably looking for a tiny salary guy, realistically.

Wonder if they don't perhaps see Primeau on waivers as a potential solution still. Montreal haven't fully rectified their goaltender overflow yet.

But it's also hard to see any way Martin Jones doesn't also end up available on waivers for free. Dirt cheap contract too.

And Detroit obviously still have to figure out how they're going to handle Husso + Reimer/Lyon. Something's gotta give there, and Lyon would certainly be a cheap stopgap if he's the one that hits waivers.

Have to think there are some other teams that might be poking around that market too though. Washington stands out to me, as...they can't seriously walk into this season with Lindgren as their backup, can they? So there might be some competition in terms of waivers priority if that's the plan. Though it also kind of sounds like, if the Avs don't land somebody off the waiver wire...they've potentially got Halak on line 2. Which seems like a pretty bad solution at this point in his career, and what little he seems to have left to give. But i guess if that's your fallback option...it is what it is.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Certainly curious that they didn't get in on Montreal's business before the Canucks jumped on it with the DeSmith/Pearson dump deal. But the Avs are probably looking for a tiny salary guy, realistically.

Wonder if they don't perhaps see Primeau on waivers as a potential solution still. Montreal haven't fully rectified their goaltender overflow yet.

But it's also hard to see any way Martin Jones doesn't also end up available on waivers for free. Dirt cheap contract too.

And Detroit obviously still have to figure out how they're going to handle Husso + Reimer/Lyon. Something's gotta give there, and Lyon would certainly be a cheap stopgap if he's the one that hits waivers.

Have to think there are some other teams that might be poking around that market too though. Washington stands out to me, as...they can't seriously walk into this season with Lindgren as their backup, can they? So there might be some competition in terms of waivers priority if that's the plan. Though it also kind of sounds like, if the Avs don't land somebody off the waiver wire...they've potentially got Halak on line 2. Which seems like a pretty bad solution at this point in his career, and what little he seems to have left to give. But i guess if that's your fallback option...it is what it is.

Friedman also linked us to Spencer Martin, though hopefully they have Jones above Martin.

But yeah, they're almost definitely going to go after a league minimum type of guy at least to start. If it's proving to be a problem in December maybe they re-evaluate but I'd guess they dont want to spend any assets right now on a pretty inconsequential issue.

Reactions: biturbo19 and banks

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It is also very likely they wait until they see who clears waivers and move on one of those guys.
If they are serious about giving Justus a chance, they may truly be looking for a tweener who could come up only if the kid falters.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Friedman also linked us to Spencer Martin, though hopefully they have Jones above Martin.

But yeah, they're almost definitely going to go after a league minimum type of guy at least to start. If it's proving to be a problem in December maybe they re-evaluate but I'd guess they dont want to spend any assets right now on a pretty inconsequential issue.

Unfortunate for the Avs if true. :laugh:

Spencer Martin will definitely be available on waivers if ya'll want him back. He's not any good though, outside of one little "hot streak" where he looked surprisingly almost decent. Before going right back to being an overmatched AHLer.

The Canucks would probably be happy to have him claimed away. They've got...7 netminders under contract right now, and only one of those is headed back to Jrs on a sliding deal. So 6 guys at the NHL/AHL/ECHL level is...a lot.

Even if he's not claimed, i've been wondering if they might not try to deal Martin once he's cleared, or at least loan him to someone else's AHL club just to clear a bit of the logjam.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I like halak, he always seems to do well as the underdog story.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I like halak, he always seems to do well as the underdog story.

He's been a good goaltender for a long time, but it feels like father time has finally really started to catch up with him the last couple years. I just don't know how much of anything he's got left in the tank. He's not a big goaltender either, so slowing down really hurts him.

Probably still better than like...Spencer Martin. But that's not saying much.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not sure he has much value to other teams waiver wire wise

The only issue would be the $1.8 M cap, or he'd get claimed for sure. At $1 M, he's gone. It raises the stakes for Buffalo because, with two unproven kids (not that Comrie has proven much of anything) the Sabres need a backup plan — even a bad one. My feeling is the risk is too high. They will carry three goalies. They literally have zero options in the AHL unless Tokarski is an option. There are real issues in net in Buffalo if Devon Levi isn't ready.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The only issue would be the $1.8 M cap, or he'd get claimed for sure. At $1 M, he's gone. It raises the stakes for Buffalo because, with two unproven kids (not that Comrie has proven much of anything) the Sabres need a backup plan — even a bad one. My feeling is the risk is too high. They will carry three goalies. They literally have zero options in the AHL unless Tokarski is an option. There are real issues in net in Buffalo if Devon Levi isn't ready.
Got ya I think Comrie at his cap hit would clear easily but I’ve been wrong before

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Martin Jones will be available in just about a week. He's reliable as a backup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad