Seravalli: Avs looking to add a goalie

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
No? How is that the conclusion you gained from my question...

Pearson clearly had negative value, which thus means DeSmith doesn't have anywhere near thr value of a 3rd round pick.
You looked surprised when the poster you replied to hinted that he had negative value, and that the Habs would have accepted a 5th straight up...

I mean, Hill was traded for a 4th last year.

With Pearson's injury history, the fact that is hand is known to be at around 80%, and the fact that the Canucks were not cap compliant while the season is about to start, it is pretty evident that with his 3M$+ contract, he was a cap dump...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You looked surprised when the poster you replied to hinted that he had negative value, and that the Habs would have accepted a 5th straight up...

I mean, Hill was traded for a 4th last year.

With Pearson's injury history, the fact that is hand is known to be at around 80%, and the fact that the Canucks were not cap compliant while the season is about to start, it is pretty evident that with his 3M$+ contract, he was a cap dump...

What? The poster I quoted suggested Pearson had either neutral value or positive value, certsinly not negative value since that poster thinks DeSmith is worth a 3rd...

Reactions: Avs44

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Assume Kylington is healthy (mentally and physically) and Avs could extend him for a few years.

Would Avs fans do Girard for Kylington extended + Vladar + Zary

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Assume Kylington is healthy (mentally and physically) and Avs could extend him for a few years.

Why would the Flames do that? Kylington is better than Girar and then you have them adding a former 1st round pick. Yikes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why would the Flames do that? Kylington is better than Girar and then you have them adding a former 1st round pick. Yikes.
lmao

I actually agree that Calgary wouldn't make that trade but that's an absurd take... Kyllington didn't even play last year, only played 8 games in 2020/21, and only has 1 year with more then 8 points in a season lol.

Girard had his issues over the last couple of years but even with his struggles he's a legit Top 4D and 35-40 point guy without getting big PP time. He is absolutely better then Kylington at this point.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Doesn't make sense for either teams.

Kylington is a big question mark, Vladar costs too much as a backup, and Zary is a decent but not exactly what a cup contender needs. You don't risk a cup contending season and the negotiation leverage the Avs have on Toews for a bunch of question marks.

For Calgary, they're giving up more value and they don't have a huge need for Girard even with Kylington being a question mark. They'll either start selling/re-tool at the TDL if the season doesn't go well, or they'll make the playoffs and re-sign Hanifin and can be patient with Kylington.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Why would the Flames do that? Kylington is better than Girard and then you have them adding a former 1st round pick. Yikes.

tub-bbc.gif

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Kylington is a big question mark, Vladar costs too much as a backup, and Zary is a decent but not exactly what a cup contender needs. You don't risk a cup contending season and the negotiation leverage the Avs have on Toews for a bunch of question marks.

For Calgary, they're giving up more value and they don't have a huge need for Girard even with Kylington being a question mark. They'll either start selling/re-tool at the TDL if the season doesn't go well, or they'll make the playoffs and re-sign Hanifin and can be patient with Kylington.
Hanafin looks very likely to leave as a UFA if not sooner than next July. Tanev and Zadorov will be UFAs after this season. Kylington is AWOL again. Calgary is anything but settled on D after this season. They’ll have huge holes back there to fill.

So please tell me how adding a cost controlled middle pair defender wouldn’t have some appeal to their GM

So why exactly would anyone be trading for him?
I’m not sure if his issue is playing in/for Calgary or if it’s playing hockey period. If the former, then I’m interested. Agents and GMs will know this. Fans won’t.

I have no idea if this guy has the YIPs, if he’s addicted to pain pills, hates Calgary, wants to be a woman… we have no idea why he’s not playing. That’s not any of my business either. But if it’s Calgary or organizational distrust, then moving him to a different situation is appealing as a trade opportunity.

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Hanafin looks very likely to leave as a UFA if not sooner than next July. Tanev and Zadorov will be UFAs after this season. Kylington is AWOL again. Calgary is anything but settled on D after this season. They’ll have huge holes back there to fill.

So please tell me how adding a cost controlled middle pair defender wouldn’t have some appeal to their GM

I’m not sure if his issue is playing in/for Calgary or if it’s playing hockey period. If the former, then I’m interested. Agents and GMs will know this. Fans won’t.

I have no idea if this guy has the YIPs, if he’s addicted to pain pills, hates Calgary, wants to be a woman… we have no idea why he’s not playing. That’s not any of my business either. But if it’s Calgary or organizational distrust, then moving him to a different situation is appealing as a trade opportunity.
It has absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to play for Calgary. That is just baseless speculation that you fabricated. There has been zero reports suggesting this is even potentially a reason. So I am guessing you have not followed this at all.

Kylington is not AWOL. He is in Calgary. He is with the team. All reports from Sweden suggest he was excited to return.

Also, this.

"When Kylington did not join the Flames at the beginning of the club’s 2022 training camp, Treliving explicitly clarified that the defenceman is not dealing with “a substance issue” and again asked for people to give Kylington privacy."

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Ottawa will trade you Forsberg
sens would probably have to retain at least $250k to make it work. on top of that forsberg isn't worth $2m either. i guess it depends on how desperate the avs are. can't imagine they would make this trade before goalies start hitting waivers.

Ledge And Dairy

The poster literally saud "if there are no questions marks on Kylington." So arguing questions marks on him is silly. Avs would take that in a heartbeat and Flames would decline instantly.

Healthy Kylington is at worst a side grade to Girard, is cheaper and you get a fairly young 1B goalie. Not to mention the prospect who lead AHL scoring for everyone under 22. Horrible deal for the Flames, excellent for the Avs

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The poster literally saud "if there are no questions marks on Kylington." So arguing questions marks on him is silly. Avs would take that in a heartbeat and Flames would decline instantly.

Healthy Kylington is at worst a side grade to Girard, is cheaper and you get a fairly young 1B goalie. Not to mention the prospect who lead AHL scoring for everyone under 22. Horrible deal for the Flames, excellent for the Avs
Holy homer hot take.

Girard is a year younger than Kylinton
416 games / 28 G / 153 A / 181 pts / .435 PPG / 20:42 TOI

Kylington
168 games / 14 G / 33 A / 47 pts / .28 PPG / 15:21 TOI

You think these are equal level players? That’s got to be a joke you’re trying to make.

Vladar makes $2.1mm and saves 89.9% of the shots he faces. That’s whatever. Not amazing.

Zary isn’t going to make your team this year. He’s an older draft year player so about to be 22 this week with zero NHL games on his resume.

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Holy homer hot take.

Girard is a year younger than Kylinton
416 games / 28 G / 153 A / 181 pts / .435 PPG / 20:42 TOI

Kylington
168 games / 14 G / 33 A / 47 pts / .28 PPG / 15:21 TOI

You think these are equal level players? That’s got to be a joke you’re trying to make.

Vladar makes $2.1mm and saves 89.9% of the shots he faces. That’s whatever. Not amazing.

Zary isn’t going to make your team this year. He’s an older draft year player so about to be 22 this week with zero NHL games on his resume.
So because Kylington hasn't played as many games as Girard you are holding that against him? Take a look at Kylington's most recent season. Not everyone develops on the same curve. Kylington's last season was very comparable to Girard the same season. Why would you compare every year before? How does that even make sense?

Zary may make the team as well....

Why are you always in Flames threads when you literally are always wrong about everything?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

A player can pass the physical and mental exams and not be 100%. Drouin is a prime example of that. Plus Kylington hasn’t played for an entire year.

The Avs don’t need to gamble on Kylington in a cup contending season when there’s already a bunch of question marks with the new signings. They know what they have in Girard. Why add another question mark to the mix when it doesn’t improve the team this season?

The value is good for the Avs, but it doesn’t mean it’s a smart move. The Avs have 1-2 years as a legit contender before they really get into cap hell, no point making moves like this right now. Especially when Vladar makes too much for a backup. I’m not going to get into if he’s actually worth his contract, but the Avs don’t have $2.2 mil to spend on a backup the next 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad