Seravalli: Avs looking to add a goalie

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Jaroslav Halak.

I read in a Slovak article recently that he still wants to play, and still wants to play in the NHL. In the interview he said he was staying patient, thinking an opening eventually will appear with a team somewhere. Well, now here's his chance.

And here's the article from roughly a month ago:

The article starts with:

"At least five more wins! This is Jaroslav Halák's goal for the new season. The 38-year-old goalkeeper does not want to quit yet."

And then the first question is:

What does your situation look like regarding a new contract in the NHL?

""For now, I'm still waiting. There will definitely be changes regarding goalkeepers. Within two weeks I should know where I will be operating next season."

Last edited:

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
It has to be cheeeeap.

Phone up Halak and see if he's interested in playing this year.

Reactions: BHD

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Jaroslav Halak.

I read in a Slovak article recently that he still wants to play, and still wants to play in the NHL. In the interview he said he was staying patient, thinking an opening eventually will appear with a team somewhere. Well, here it is.
His agent stated the same days before free agency. I bet at the time he was looking for a slight raise, or at least the same than what he got from the Rangers (1,5m). Well, the Rangers got Quick for league minimum and no-one else has been interested either. Halak is looking for 300 career wins, he's currently at 295. I can't think of many better spots than Avs. Might even get a chance for a cup.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
Francouz's health issues are such a shame. I really like his talent and composure when healthy but the Avs have been burned by goaltending injuries too often. It may be time to look for a lesser skilled, cheaper, robust option to gain cap flexibility and team stability.

If you want to be thrown for a loop, take a look at Francouz's KHL stats before coming to Colorado:
1694719583246.png

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hate that. Frankie is a great backup when he’s healthy, but he’s never healthy despite a very limited workload.

Send Halak an offer for $1m and see what happens. Seems like a great fit to me.

Reactions: AslanRH

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If Silovs wins the Canucks backup position—maybe Spencer Martin returns to the Avs org? The cap hit is right and there is a level of familiarity with the org/player.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Casey DeSmith for a late pick

Unless it's a long term injury to Francouz, I don't think they'd be looking to add somebody making a large amount. If/when Francouz was cleared, then they'd have an expensive #3 goalie which would hamper their cap situation.

Aside from picking up a guy like Halak as a free agent, a cheap waiver pickup might be more plausible. As mentioned Martin Jones could work. Other cheap goalies (with varying degrees of NHL experience) who could hit the waiver wire: Alex Stalock, David Rittich, Malcolm Subban, Collin Delia, Anthony Stolarz, Louis Domingue, Magnus Hellberg, Keith Kinkaid (they briefly had him last year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad