Seravalli: Avs looking to add a goalie

Ledge And Dairy

Literally any decent backup goalie :laugh:

How is that even something you'd call into question...

This summer alone we had:

- Reimer $1.5M
- Talbot $1.0M
- Raanta $1.5M
- Nedelkjovic $1.5M
- Stalock $800k

Jaroslav Halak could probably be signed for league minimum right now.

While Vladar is getting $2.25M for a career .899 sv% and coming off an .895 year. All of those guys had similar or better numbers to Vladar last year.

It's a terrible contract for a backup goalie which is literally all Colorado wants.
Thats 5 goalies over the age of 34 and 1 coming off a brutal season looking to save his career.

Vladar's SV% is heavily skewed by is extremely low SA. He faced the least low danger shots per 60 at 5v5 last year by a pretty fair margin. So unlike a lot of other goalies in the league he couldn't exactly pad his stats with easy saves.

Maybe go watch some footage of him instead of just looking at score sheets. He is a perfectly fine goalie and if Wolf wasn't NHL ready and with that high of potential Vladar wouldn't be remotely available.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Thats 5 goalies over the age of 34 and 1 coming off a brutal season looking to save his career.

Vladar's SV% is heavily skewed by is extremely low SA. He faced the least low danger shots per 60 at 5v5 last year by a pretty fair margin. So unlike a lot of other goalies in the league he couldn't exactly pad his stats with easy saves.

Maybe go watch some footage of him instead of just looking at score sheets. He is a perfectly fine goalie and if Wolf wasn't NHL ready and with that high of potential Vladar wouldn't be remotely available.

Its probably a good thing he couldn't since he was basically the worst goalie in the league at making easy saves...

51/52 goalies for sv% against low danger shots and 43/52 for sv% against medium danger shots.

So he's a goalie that can make difficult saves at an ok rate(He ranked 20/52 in that category, 25th compared to his expected sv% rate) but instead lets in absolute stinkers at a ridiculously terrible rate...

Sounds like a pretty mediocre backup to me... Also as if he is exactly that so far in his career, a mediocre backup.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And the goalies left and willing to sign at that price are crap. DeSmith had a bad season but he is a capable backup if that was a one off.

Waivers will produce decent goalies. Halak had a decent year.

The Avs also seem of the best defensive hockey in the league and are pretty well known at thus point for getting more out of goalies than they showed elsewhere.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance the Avs grab a ~.895 goalie and get .905 from them this year.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Ledge And Dairy

Its probably a good thing he couldn't since he was basically the worst goalie in the league at making easy saves...

51/52 goalies for sv% against low danger shots and 43/52 for sv% against medium danger shots.

So he's a goalie that can make difficult saves at an ok rate(He ranked 20/52 in that category, 25th compared to his expected sv% rate) but instead lets in absolute stinkers at a ridiculously terrible rate...

Sounds like a pretty mediocre backup to me... Also as if he is exactly that so far in his career, a mediocre backup.
Lol still too ignorant to watch actual footage and instead must rely on skewed stats to make a point.

Now lets try this again with a little more thinking involved. We are talking about a .964 LDsv% at 5v5. You are vastly overrating the range on sv% here and completely ignoring the original point. Hart lead the league with a .985 LDsv%, and Georgiev only had a .969 LDsv%. Not only is that marginal at best the key here is that Vladar only faced 8.32 LDSA/60 whereas Georgiev for example faced 13.34 LDSA/60. That's a difference of roughly 5 per game. Even at the .964 LDsv% that would still raise his 5v5 overall sv% to .910.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

sounds like Sutter should still be the coach then .

I didn't have them in the playoffs last year and see more regression this year

Either way Vladar for.2.2 mil is way too.expensive for.what he is

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

sounds like Sutter should still be the coach then .

I didn't have them in the playoffs last year and see more regression this year

Either way Vladar for.2.2 mil is way too.expensive for.what he is
Sutter is a good coach but an asshole that can be very demoralizing to his players. There is no denying his systems effectiveness though. I don't really understand your argument here.

You not having them in the playoffs last year means nothing, nobody could have predicted a 60 point drop in pace from Huberdeau. They finished only 2 points out of the playoffs despite leading the league in posts hit, 1 goal losses and OT losses by quite a gap. Turn even half of those OT losses into OT wins and they are comfortable in a playoff spot last year.

Once again Vladar would not be remotely available if Wolf wasn't NHL ready and didn't have the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the league some day. Vladar is a perfectly fine young goalie that is not remotely overpaid at 2.2M and anyone who's watched him play at all would know that he absolutely has 1A/1B potential.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Sutter is a good coach but an asshole that can be very demoralizing to his players. There is no denying his systems effectiveness though. I don't really understand your argument here.

You not having them in the playoffs last year means nothing, nobody could have predicted a 60 point drop in pace from Huberdeau. They finished only 2 points out of the playoffs despite leading the league in posts hit, 1 goal losses and OT losses by quite a gap. Turn even half of those OT losses into OT wins and they are comfortable in a playoff spot last year.

Once again Vladar would not be remotely available if Wolf wasn't NHL ready and didn't have the potential to be a top 5 goalie in the league some day. Vladar is a perfectly fine young goalie that is not remotely overpaid at 2.2M and anyone who's watched him play at all would know that he absolutely has 1A/1B potential.
fair enough brother.

If I were a Flames fan I'd be hoping for a rebuild in time for the new Stadium. ( just my opinion)

Trade the malcontents now as they probably will have to anyways although that sends a bad message to the fans to start the year I suppose.

I think you get a better return now as opppsed to the deadline as it draws more teams in instead of just the playoff teams

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean it’s also possible that Calgary will be willing to retain some cap if they move Vladar, right?

Probably not, seeing as that would be incredibly stupid.

They have

Lindholm
Hanifin
Backlund
Tanev
Zadorov

As potential deadline rentals, if you noticed that's 5 names, you only get 3 rentention slots.

That means they won't be able to retain on 2 of those guys as is.

Why make things harder?

Ledge And Dairy

fair enough brother.

If I were a Flames fan I'd be hoping for a rebuild in time for the new Stadium. ( just my opinion)

Trade the malcontents now as they probably will have to anyways although that sends a bad message to the fans to start the year I suppose.

I think you get a better return now as opppsed to the deadline as it draws more teams in instead of just the playoff teams
With the Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri contracts the Flames options are either keep trying to contend or turbo sell all contracts that expire in the next 2 years for an LA/Dallas/NYR 2-3 year style rebuild. The problem is due to almost no cap space around the league right now we are in more of a buyers market making being a seller very difficult. There are more teams that would be interested in say adding Lindholm right now but less teams willing to give up the cost to get Calgary would ask for him

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I heard they're trading for Vladar
Me too. I’d throw a 3rd rounder or a Behrens their way for Vladar. Or someone like Olausson if the Flames add a 3rd coming back to the Avs.

Otherwise, just grab a Halak or another waiver wire G.

Vladar isn’t someone I’d stretch for but he’s worth something decent.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Me too. I’d throw a 3rd rounder or a Behrens their way for Vladar. Or someone like Olausson if the Flames add a 3rd coming back to the Avs.

Otherwise, just grab a Halak or another waiver wire G.

Vladar isn’t someone I’d stretch for but he’s worth something decent.

So you're proposing these two trades:

Behrens/3rd for Vladar

Olausson for Vladar + 3rd

Your valuation of the prospects seems off. Olausson hasn't progressed well since being drafted whereas Behrens has. Swapping them around in your proposals makes more sense.

Olausson/3rd for Vladar

Behrens for Vladar + 3rd

Doubt the Avs have any interest in moving either prospect (especially Behrens) for a backup goalie though when they can just grab one off waivers or sign Halal and wait for Francouz to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad