Pre-Game Talk: Avs @ Leafs, Tuesday Oct 8th. The Downie effect continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think this game will come down to Varlamov and his ability to perform on the road.

Pretty sure we'll see much of the same from the rest of the team as we have the last two games. I'm just really hoping Varly has been able to put behind him how terrible he was on the road last season and play solidly. I'm just really hoping to see a good game from him...win, lose or draw, I don't want to see more than one he'd like back.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Random question. Do we know how much Varlamov had to reduce the lengths of his pads, if anything?

Fearless Leaf*

Good luck guys, I am neutral towards the Avs unlike some of our other fanbase.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Random question. Do we know how much Varlamov had to reduce the lengths of his pads, if anything?

I'd like to know this as well.

It seems like a lot of goalies in general are struggling a bit with the reduced pad size. Goal scoring certainly seems a lot higher so far in the year then previous years.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The goal scoring will slow down, goalies and defensemen are still rusty at this point

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's

His were definitely on the small side. If they were reduced it was not by much. Especially not compared to guys like Lundqvist.

Last year:

167292488_slide.jpg

This year:

183128653_slide.jpg

His new CCMs almost look bigger :laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
His were definitely on the small side. If they were reduced it was not by much. Especially not compared to guys like Lundqvist.

Last year:

His new CCMs almost look bigger :laugh:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised considering JS is our back up.

Allaire might have convinced him to get bigger pads.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't get it

I see your edit. The point is they changed the pad size rules so it seems unlikely he could get larger pads withoutbbreaking the rules.

He might have gotten the max sizes? It might be the angles on those pics but they do look bigger. I'll welcome anything that helps his game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Oh gawd I just remembered Varly didnt win a single road game last yr. Hes been our best player so far I hope he doesnt have to be our best player tommorow. Got bets goin on at work, facebook and neigbor. Im gonna be watching attentively.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
So...

Game 1: Roy brings down the house
Game 2: Downie rocks Josi and upsets everyone

Predictions on our game 3 antics? :sarcasm:

Bordeleau knocks out Orr after Orr instigates a fight because Bordeleau successfully stick lifted Kessel then skated coast to coast and roofs one on almighty Vezina candidate Bernier. Then everyone on the main boards go off on how Bordeleau is a cheap shot and should be banned for life.

The league reviews this play and in fact bans Bordeleau because they can't allow 4th line players to steal the puck from the greatest hockey player in the world, then skate through the greatest offense in the world, deke around the greatest defense in the world, and finally score on the greatest goaltender in the world.

The resulting disciplinary action is an expansion team located in Honolulu coached by Joe Sacco. Every single player on the Avs is traded to the new expansion team and the Toronto Marlies become the new Colorado Avalanche team. And when the new Avs face the new Honolulu Saccos, it turns out that the Maple Leafs AHL team is indeed better than our NHL team as they beat us -12 - 0.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
So...

Game 1: Roy brings down the house
Game 2: Downie rocks Josi and upsets everyone

Predictions on our game 3 antics? :sarcasm:

MacK scores his first goal because of Kessel screwing up and then gets targted the whole game. Roy gets mad pushes over bench divider fully, starts cursing at the Leafs in French, and then starts beating up Carlyle. Kessel slashes Bordy. Kessel runs away like a ***** before being tracked down by Landy. Landy gives him a good beating and is forever banished from the NHL. As payment for the Avs crimes Duchene is given to the Leafs in exchange for Bozak and a 2nd.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
Bordeleau knocks out Orr after Orr instigates a fight because Bordeleau successfully stick lifted Kessel then skated coast to coast and roofs one on almighty Vezina candidate Bernier. Then everyone on the main boards go off on how Bordeleau is a cheap shot and should be banned for life.

The league reviews this play and in fact bans Bordeleau because they can't allow 4th line players to steal the puck from the greatest hockey player in the world, then skate through the greatest offense in the world, deke around the greatest defense in the world, and finally score on the greatest goaltender in the world.

The resulting disciplinary action is an expansion team located in Honolulu coached by Joe Sacco. Every single player on the Avs is traded to the new expansion team and the Toronto Marlies become the new Colorado Avalanche team. And when the new Avs face the new Honolulu Saccos, it turns out that the Maple Leafs AHL team is indeed better than our NHL team as they beat us -12 - 0.

Gotta say I appreciate the honesty in the post but get real: Bordeleau is never going to steal the puck from the greatest hockey player in the world, then skate through the greatest offense in the world, deke around the greatest defense in the world, and finally score on the greatest goaltender in the world. He will also not knock out Orr but everything else is well thought out and I certainly appreciate fans with a realistic view of hockey. You actually watch the games!!

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
My bold prediction for tomorrow:

The Landy - Stastny - Tanguay line scores every even strength goal for us tomorrow.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He might have gotten the max sizes? It might be the angles on those pics but they do look bigger. I'll welcome anything that helps his game.

You can't really compare those two pics though, it's too hard to tell. Two different vantage points, and lenses/crops.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
You can't really compare those two pics though, it's too hard to tell. Two different vantage points, and lenses/crops.

Not to mention in the first picture he's standing in the second one he's crouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad