Confirmed with Link: Avs hire Chris MacFarland as assistant GM

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I hope he gives our staff rave reviews on Rychel and we somehow land him. That'd be awesome.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Can we pretty much confirm Sherman was just doing the day-to-day work for Lacroix at this point?

I'm glad they didn't make a show of firing him when he really just was a figurehead.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Necro bump question:

Macfarland has been a rumored candidate a few times over the past year.

Can anyone speak to his level of contribution to Colorado’s success?

Is he a big analytics buff? Is he undoubtedly Sakic’s right hand man? etc. Couldn’t find a lot on google

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Necro bump question:

Is he a big analytics buff? Is he undoubtedly Sakic’s right hand man? etc. Couldn’t find a lot on google

Yes. He is certainly Sakic’s right hand man.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It’s certainly by design many don’t know much about him. I believe he does a lot with the cap, he was a lawyer at one time. But yes if anyone is working with or even guiding Sakic it’s him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Necro bump question:

Whatever he does, it’s clear Sakic trusts him. Please don’t steal him we seem to have a decent thing going for a change lol

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Don’t know if I trust Scott but this wouldn’t be surprising

I'm not sure if that would be for the benefit of the Avs or not. He's done some good work here, but a lot of it has to do with his knowledge of the Blue Jackets organization. Not sure how things would be different if he'd been affiliated with Philadelphia, Carolina or whatever first.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Early on, the Penguins were not sure if Chris MacFarland desired to leave the Avalanche. The Penguins presumed he was among only a few assistant GMs likely to be on a shortlist for any future opening and also that Colorado would likely promise MacFarland the GM role if, as expected, Joe Sakic eventually assumes a higher-ranking position in the organization.

Otherwise, MacFarland fits what the Penguins seem to want: a counterbalance Rutherford, whose tenure featured two titles, but 34 trades since the Penguins’ Cup win in 2017.

Reputably meticulous, MacFarland would contrast with gut-feel impulsivity of Rutherford. With the Avalanche, MacFarland is known to map out player personnel decisions in a six-ways-to-Sunday manner and views cap space as a primary asset. Also, not dissimilar to Drury with the Rangers, MacFarland has been credited for helping the Avalanche stockpile young talent.

MacFarland would be a pretty big loss, even more so if they gave someone like Billington more NHL responsibility to replace him. Sakic gets all the credit but MacFarland and the analytics staff are a big part of the operation.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I'd really, really hate to see McFarland leave. Dude's been an amazing guy for the Avs behind the scenes. He got credit for starting the Duchene trade talks again after things had stalled for a bit. And of course, the guy on the other end of that conversation was none other than Paul Fenton.

Reactions: Avs_19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still think Fenton gets a bad rap for the Minnesota debacle... he had the balls to tell Leipold they needed to rebuild and work on setting a new core. Then when Leipold denied him, he did the best he could to set a new course without the ability to tear it all down.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah I'd really, really hate to see McFarland leave. Dude's been an amazing guy for the Avs behind the scenes. He got credit for starting the Duchene trade talks again after things had stalled for a bit. And of course, the guy on the other end of that conversation was none other than Paul Fenton.

Yeah, hate to see him possibly leave but he also deserves the opportunity. It doesn't seem like Sakic is planning on taking on a different role anytime soon either. Sakic moving up while retaining final say on decisions with MacFarland becoming the GM would probably be good for the franchise.

Pens ownership is weird so I could see them going with a retread or someone they already have a relationship with over MacFarland.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I don't think they let him interview if they feel he's irreplaceable. The Avs could have told the Pens to shove off. I think I trust Joe. He seems pretty good at his job.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't think they let him interview if they feel he's irreplaceable. The Avs could have told the Pens to shove off. I think I trust Joe. He seems pretty good at his job.

upload_2021-2-5_18-38-19.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad