Confirmed with Link: Avs hire Chris MacFarland as assistant GM

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 10m10 minutes ago
MacFarland was mostly charged with running #AHL rosters w Syraucse and Springfield. His reputation in AHL circles was absolutely sterling.

MacFarland assists the club in all hockey-related matters including scouting at the professional and amateur level, player contract research and negotiations, salary cap management and arbitration, collective bargaining agreement administration, budgeting and team scheduling issues.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=48248&cmpid=cbj-dropdown-team

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So what's the make up of the front office now?

There's Sakic, Roy, McFarland, Billington, Sherman the coffee boy...

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 10m10 minutes ago
MacFarland was mostly charged with running #AHL rosters w Syraucse and Springfield. His reputation in AHL circles was absolutely sterling.

MacFarland assists the club in all hockey-related matters including scouting at the professional and amateur level, player contract research and negotiations, salary cap management and arbitration, collective bargaining agreement administration, budgeting and team scheduling issues.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=48248&cmpid=cbj-dropdown-team

This is what I was hoping for. I am excited to see what changes come and hopefully our farm system will strengthen with this hire.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer Jul 29
I asked #CBJ asst. GM Chris MacFarland about the role analytics played in the trade for Scott Hartnell; said it was absolutely a factor.

MacFarland said it was also a great fit because the analytics agreed with what they had observed re: Hartnell, and vice versa. #CBJ

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I don't know anything about him, but welcome!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He isn't a household name yet, but he will be a NHL GM within ~5 years. This is actually a big deal in hockey circles.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No idea who he is. Never a bad idea to add another voice.

We have three assistant GMs now?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I see King Sakic and Roy are strengthening the Knights of the Roundtable even more...

This MacFarland guy seems like a great knight, I hope he doesn't pull what Sir Lancelot did in "Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart".

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Absolutely fantastic. I love this hire. Rather curious what convinced MacFarland to take the Avs' job instead of remaining in Columbus. I sincerely hope that means he will hold a prominent role and voice.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Absolutely fantastic. I love this hire. Rather curious what convinced MacFarland to take the Avs' job instead of remaining in Columbus. I sincerely hope that means he will hold a prominent role and voice.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 32m32 minutes ago
Writing was on the wall for MacFarland's departure since John Davidson took over hockey operations and began surrounding with his guys.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So his role was mostly with their AHL team it seems. Is he being brought in to help Billington? Take over Billington's duties with the Avs while Billington attends to the AHL/minors full time? Do a little bit of everything?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So de facto head scout, with some analytics chops? Biller is AHL GM, Sherm is is the contracts/CBA nerd, Roy is the coach, and Sakic is the one to rule them all? Or are they sliding Sherm out completely and FNG will have all the same jobs as at CBJ? Or taking Billington's place?

Bah, so much confusion for what should be a footnote in the offseason.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
BTW I would expect old friend Nolan Pratt to be brought in to the organization.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So de facto head scout, with some analytics chops? Biller is AHL GM, Sherm is is the contracts/CBA nerd, Roy is the coach, and Sakic is the one to rule them all? Or are they sliding Sherm out completely and FNG will have all the same jobs as at CBJ? Or taking Billington's place?

Bah, so much confusion for what should be a footnote in the offseason.

not sure if sherman has had any (significant) role with the avs in a while..

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I asked #CBJ asst. GM Chris MacFarland about the role analytics played in the trade for Scott Hartnell; said it was absolutely a factor.

MacFarland said it was also a great fit because the analytics agreed with what they had observed re: Hartnell, and vice versa. #CBJ

Oh no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad