Confirmed with Link: Avs hire Chris MacFarland as assistant GM

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm pretty sure he's less a right hand man and more a co-president. They have equal power.

No, they really don't.

Sakic has final say on all Player Personnel decisions. Patrick can give his opinions, and has some pull as well, but Sakic is the boss. I'm pretty sure either Joe or Patrick (or even both) have said that they haven't agreed on everything (in a positive manner of speaking).

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
Maybe he is the one who could finalize the negotiation with Johansen....hope he'll do the same with O'Reilly.....

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
No, they really don't.

Sakic has final say on all Player Personnel decisions. Patrick can give his opinions, and has some pull as well, but Sakic is the boss. I'm pretty sure either Joe or Patrick (or even both) have said that they haven't agreed on everything (in a positive manner of speaking).

They have said that. I think Roy mentioned that sometimes Sakic has to move a bit, or Roy has to move a bit, but in the end they find agreement. That was exactly the quote that made me think they have equal power. Otherwise Sakic wouldn't need to be persuaded.

Also would Roy really accept being relegated to a lesser role? Doesn't Roy often personally handle trades? Sure, Sakic is the boss in title, but I think practically they have equal power.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Would seem like running AHL operations is a big job, Billington was in Lake Erie every month. Could see why Sakic felt like he would need someone on the executive side with him. I still think Sherman does a lot with the cap, contracts and such. He's negotiated some good contracts for us, that seems to be his forte. Maybe they don't bring in a new "scouting director" but keep Hepple's promotion and let guys with scouting/AHL experience such as Billington and MacFarland be a general oversight in those areas.

Wonder if Chambers' "source" is just Portzline like it usually is.

Oh and on the AHLstaff they do have room for an assistant as Callendar stays in Cleveland. Could they fill that with a look to move him up eventually?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Love everything i've read and I trust Hench like I do Friedman so im completely on board :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
They have said that. I think Roy mentioned that sometimes Sakic has to move a bit, or Roy has to move a bit, but in the end they find agreement. That was exactly the quote that made me think they have equal power. Otherwise Sakic wouldn't need to be persuaded.

Also would Roy really accept being relegated to a lesser role? Doesn't Roy often personally handle trades? Sure, Sakic is the boss in title, but I think practically they have equal power.

I've seen it mentioned that both Sakic and Roy talk trades with other teams. I'm sure compared to nearly every other coach in the league, Roy has more significant Front Office power, but I still think that Sakic makes the final decisions on everything.

Perhaps the "move a bit" thing Roy was talking about comes when discussing players he really wants, so he fights really hard to make his voice distinctively heard, whereas Joe maybe has his own areas where he wants things done and makes sure his voice is distinctively heard.

I'm sure they get along, for the most part, but I have no doubt that if there was ever a situation where they were divided, and heavily so, that Joe would win out. Let's say O'Reilly is that situation. Perhaps Joe comes to the conclusion that they just can't make an extension work. That they have the magic # from O'Reilly's people, for what it would take to sign him, and Patrick believes that it's not only "totally doable", but that they should be drawing up the contract at that moment. But maybe Joe believes it's just not a great long-term solution, and he has a great trade offer on the table. I'm sure, given that we've seen how much Roy trusts Ryan, and how he uses him in almost every situation, that he would fight tooth and nail to keep him and to sign him, but Joe would win that argument if he passionately felt that they needed to accept the (completely hypothetical) trade.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Oh it's never been a doubt in my mind Sakic runs the show. Roy just has input on personnel. I think the analogy if if you want him to cook dinner then let him shop for the ingredients. But I think people have been pinning too much of the decision making on him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I didn't even know it was a sweepstakes but we won it! In your face, NHL!.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
sherman probably forgot to bring coffee and sandwiches when they discussed trades/extension/offers for orpik, hejda, stuart, holden and mcleod etc..

Blood sugar drop just when they were talking term.

"Reto, we want you for... three years".

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Seems like a guy would have nixed the "Stuart is a top pairing defenseman" idea pretty quickly.

This seems like it is a smart hire, but I still think it is smart having Sherman on board, so what do I know?!?!

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I love the hire because he is a very talented guy. I hate the hire because I don't think he will be here for very long.
I love the hire being from outside of the Avs. Should give us a fresher perspective to go along with Sakic and Roy.

FoppaForsberg*

I love the hire because he is a very talented guy. I hate the hire because I don't think he will be here for very long.
I love the hire being from outside of the Avs. Should give us a fresher perspective to go along with Sakic and Roy.

why? He literally just got here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad