Proposal: Avs help Leafs clear space for Pietro

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Counter:

Leafs trade: Marner
Avs trade: Byram, Newhook, 2020 1st
With Mac getting 6.3 I don’t see Little Joe giving up such great young assets for a guy getting 11. Sakic is pretty smart about controlling his internal salary structure.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did a leaf fan run over your dog ? You are in every thread involving the leafs ragging on them. I think you may be a closet leaf fan.
upload_2020-9-19_13-2-30.gif

Reactions: Hockey 4 Life

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Mitch marners perceived value here on hf is bizarre. Hes a 90 point two way winger. Even if 10.8 mill is a bit of an over pay he puts up 90 points a season kills penalties and has a great motor. You don't trade that type of player.

Reactions: Avs44

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Marner, although he has a high cap hit, actually has been paid about half his total money once his bonus gets paid for this offseason (not sure when that happens this year)

I believe the actual money paid per season to him works out to 7M for the last five years. That is a huge contract for a cash poor team to acquire. Super talented player, affordable real cash payments, and a beefy cap to help you hit the floor.

Something like Marner / Ekblad might be interesting

Reactions: Luckylarry

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wait... who is the cap dump coming to Colorado here? I didn't see Alex Kerfoot in the proposal.

This is obviously a troll trade. Surprised it's even gotten to a 2nd page.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
With Mac getting 6.3 I don’t see Little Joe giving up such great young assets for a guy getting 11. Sakic is pretty smart about controlling his internal salary structure.

Nate MacK: Contract signed at age 20-21.
Contract AAV: $6,300,000//// Actual cash remaining: $19,850,000 (Average of $6,616,666 x 3 years )

Career till contract: 218 games 59 goals 153 points (0.70 ppg)
Career adding the 21-22 age season: 300 games 75 goals 206 points (0.69 ppg)

Mikko Rantanen: Contract signed at age 21-22.
Contract: AAV: $9,250,000 //// Actual cash remaining: $43,500,000 (Average of $8,700,000 x 5 years)

Career till contract: 239 games 80 goals 209 points (0.87 ppg)

Mitch Marner: Contract signed at age 21-22.
Contract AAV: $10,893,000//// Actual cash remaining: $35,808,000 (Average of $7,161,600 x 5 years)

Career till contract: 241 games 67 goals 224 points (0.93 ppg)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's great. But I was talking about the cap hit which would be over 10 million. Many teams cant squeeze this in. On top of that, they're looking to cut payroll (both cash and cap).

So since you're not Kyle Dubas, that means you don't actually know which teams are lining up to give up a ton in assets to take on Marner's contract. You could be right but I'd really like to know who these mystery teams are given what's happening around the league.

There's going to be less of those cap teams and way more budget teams that don't care about cap because as I said apparently half the league wants to cut salary below 75 million. That's going to cut a lot of their cap to a point where they'd have no problem fitting a Marner in. That's the entire point of what I'm saying. Imagine trying to trade someone to Ottawa. Melnyk isn't going to care what their AAV is, it doesn't matter. He's really going to care how much money he has to pay them. There's going to be way more Ottawa's if the speculation of half the teams cutting below 75 million is true.

You're right I don't know. But the only way the Leafs should ever trade Marner is if they can get appropriate value. I'm speculating that's more possible now because of the number of teams cutting payroll means more teams can fit him in their cap, and because of his low salary this year more teams are going to be looking to add a star player they barely have to pay this year. If that's not true then you don't lose a trade just to trade Marner, that's crazy. You can lose a trade on someone else.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Except you already have speculated. You said there are better offers out there. So then please continue to speculate along those lines and tell us about these better offers.
So you truly believe that no other nhl team would outbid what the op put up ? I think you will find that assumption to be incorrect just by reading the posts in this thread.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
So you truly believe that no other nhl team would outbid what the op put up ? I think you will find that assumption to be incorrect just by reading the posts in this thread.

You’re the one that speculated that they could do better. I’m just asking what that looks like.

Why so timid suddenly?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Marner, although he has a high cap hit, actually has been paid about half his total money once his bonus gets paid for this offseason (not sure when that happens this year)

I believe the actual money paid per season to him works out to 7M for the last five years. That is a huge contract for a cash poor team to acquire. Super talented player, affordable real cash payments, and a beefy cap to help you hit the floor.

Something like Marner / Ekblad might be interesting

The problem with this argument is that Marner's bonuses don't stop. So, these "cash poor" teams are on the hook for a ~$9.6 mil bonus payment next year, the $7.25 mil one the year after, the $7.25 mil one the year after that and the $7.25 mil one in the final year.

His contract is difficult for both sides of the economic spectrum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad