Proposal: Avs help Leafs clear space for Pietro

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Leafs are in cap trouble and will need space to sign Pietro, Avs have lots of wiggle room and are after another top 6 forward. I feel like they can help each other out.

Leafs trade: Marner
Avs trade: 2020 1st, Kaut, Compher, Timmins

I know it's a lot to give from the Avs for essentially a cap dump from Toronto but they really need that #1 D and that's quite a haul for them. ELC's are going to be crucial to the Leafs and you have to give to get.
I’d be all over that for the Avs but doubt Dubas does this.

And once you start adding A pieces like Newhook or Byram or Girard, I’m out because of that awful contract Mitch plays on.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Leafs are in cap trouble and will need space to sign Pietro, Avs have lots of wiggle room and are after another top 6 forward. I feel like they can help each other out.

Leafs trade: Marner
Avs trade: 2020 1st, Kaut, Compher, Timmins

I know it's a lot to give from the Avs for essentially a cap dump from Toronto but they really need that #1 D and that's quite a haul for them. ELC's are going to be crucial to the Leafs and you have to give to get.

please stop

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Players like marner and rantanen don't get traded for cap reasons so the entire premise is flawed. The leafs have kerfoot,johnson, dermott, holl, andersen, and nylander to trade if it comes to it. None of those contracts are bad value or cap dumps that can be moved if necessary. 90 point two way wingers that are 23 years old domt get traded to save cap.
That's exactly why Marner would be traded. That's a lot of moves otherwise and then you have to replace a few of those guys.
Like I said, and you're saying...ain't happening anyway.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
That's exactly why Marner would be traded. That's a lot of moves otherwise and then you have to replace a few of those guys.
Like I said, and you're saying...ain't happening anyway.
The leafs don't need to trade marner or nylander right away. If the sign petro they have this season to see what they can do. If it doesn't work then they trade marner or nylander.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
At least it’s not nylander

It’s too much to give up. Kaut was a mid 1st and Colorado is around 20 this year. It’s 1st or Ksut thrn a secondary prospect.
Lol it's not too much to give up. I would take that deal as an Av's fan. Compher is barely worth his salary, the first will probably be quite late, and Kaut likely is only ever a bottom six player. Nice to get his ELC though. Timmins would be a great get for the Leafs as he looks to be a top 4 two way right hand defenceman also on an elc. But yeah I wouldn't do this as a leafs fan.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If the price on Pietrangelo goes up, you're going to possibly screw yourself over by insisting on Newhook? The proposal was an easy no for a lot of Avs fans as it was suggested in the OP. If you switch someone with Newhook it then becomes crazy talk.
Trading Marner was already crazy talk.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
In what world is a 90 plus point player a cap dump?

In a world where the Leafs need money in order to be able to afford something they really need, and this guy is the only game in town.

pawnstars_photogallery_4_2016.jpg

Or at least that's how I'm imagining Sakic in this scenario.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Half of the league considering there's been reports of over half the league trying to get salary expenditures to below 75 million. That takes them to the point where Marner's cap hit starts to not even matter which in turn make it all about his 700k which would make him so valuable. I don't know which teams those are because I'm not Kyle Dubas, but you don't take a huge loss on a trade like this. If that's all you'd get you'd rather take a loss on a Nylander trade if you absolutely had to make the room. But I've got a sneaking suspicion if Marner was available it would not be the least bit difficult to trade him for well better than this.

There are, tops, 5 teams that kid fit Marner's cap hit for 2020-2021. You're as delusional as the Toronto fan base if you think otherwise.

Marner is a good player, but he's overpaid.

Reactions: duckpuck

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Anyone who has an NHL contract is a cap dump now I guess /s

But there is something pretty wrong with league where every team save for about 5 are pressed right up against the cap.

Poor asset management. Stop giving out long-term deals, NTC/NMC, or paying players out of ELC $11m+ ... only a handful of teams made that mistake...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Poor asset management. Stop giving out long-term deals, NTC/NMC, or paying players out of ELC $11m+ ... only a handful of teams made that mistake...

I'd agree that GMs need to be more judicious with their long term contracts, but the players are also trying to get their share of league revenue. If teams aren't against the cap, the players are leaving money on the table.

And, I really don't mind seeing kids who demonstrate they are worth it getting big 2nd contracts. But, the trick is making sure you're paying for performance and not just potential. For the guys who are more potential, long 2nd contracts are risky, but not much riskier than than signing a 28 year old UFA for 7 years. In both scenarios, you might get 4 or 5 good years, if you're lucky.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Mitch Marner while a great player has the highest cap hit for RW in the league and second highest winger cap hit. Teams don’t have that kind of cap and most teams wouldn’t want to commit that much to any position outside of franchise #1 center.

Reactions: duckpuck

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The only "problem" with Marner's contract is that it was A) Too Short for how much money he got, and B) with the new economic realities of COVID, combined with the commitments made to Tavares & Matthews, may create a situation where you "have to trade him".

That being said, even if it does -- the only thing it's going to limit his "value" -- is if the Leafs are trying to go from $11m in commitment to ELCs. Presumably, if the Leafs are trading Marner, one of the required parts of the return is going to be a very good top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman. That guy's going to cost somewhere between $4m and $8m... so you're not talking about a team needing $11m in cap space, you're talking about a team needing $3-7m.

Are you going to get "good value" this summer? no, you're certainly not... there's a lot of teams that want to be well below the cap this year, and even though you only have to pay Marner $750k, you've still got a crippling signing bonus of $9.6m to pay on July 1st.

That being said, consider the likely situation in July 2021 (or whenever this coming season ends). Teams are going to have cap flexibility created by what they did /needed to do to survive this year. Marner now has $24.75m in money to be paid (an average of $6.2/year), with his first material paycheck likely 11-12 months away. That's a really attractive proposition for a lot of teams, even if he does have an $11m cap hit.

Reactions: Hockey 4 Life

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
It’s not really like that since Rantanen is better. But that’s beside the point.

The point is, if you say that you don’t want to speculate, you should probably stop short of saying that you can do better. Because in your words, you’re not the gm and wouldn’t know that.

He is better? Or just your opinion? I won't challenge it since it seems to be the crutch of your debate which allows you to attack others while holding zero accountability for yourself.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'd love it if the title simply removed "help Leafs". Remove that phrase from my life.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There are, tops, 5 teams that kid fit Marner's cap hit for 2020-2021. You're as delusional as the Toronto fan base if you think otherwise.

Marner is a good player, but he's overpaid.

Under normal circumstances sure, when half the league wants to cut their payroll below 75 million dollars(if the rumours are true) that number goes up for sure. There's going to be a lot more teams caring about salary this offseason than cap which makes players like Marner, Nylander, and Andersen more valuable should the Leafs try to move them. Especially Marner given his 700k salary this year for a star player.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Avs say no, easily, and it has nothing to do with Marner the player. They don't need the commitment when they have other guys coming due soon. I don't see a long term deal for Hall. They'd just go for AP.

You dont think the Avs would trade that package for Mitch Marner? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->