Proposal: Avs help Leafs clear space for Pietro

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
The Leafs are in cap trouble and will need space to sign Pietro, Avs have lots of wiggle room and are after another top 6 forward. I feel like they can help each other out.

Leafs trade: Marner
Avs trade: 2020 1st, Kaut, Compher, Timmins

I know it's a lot to give from the Avs for essentially a cap dump from Toronto but they really need that #1 D and that's quite a haul for them. ELC's are going to be crucial to the Leafs and you have to give to get.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
Pretty bleh for Toronto. They'd be better off trading Nylander for peanuts

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Marner’s an elite winger...4 B-level pieces don’t acquire him.

I think the OP might be assigning value to alleviating Toronto from that contract. Marner is a very talented player but that contract is a heavy cross to bear, especially with all the others.

It's not a good idea for Colorado because you'd have 20 million tied up in RW with other contracts coming up. This is partly why I think something with Nylander makes more sense. I'm not sure I'm in love with Nylander either but he's who I'd prefer.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Newhook would need to be included I think. I'm not sure what the main piece is here(I value 1st/Timmins/Kaut similarly) but whatever it is you can't center a Marner trade around it.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Newhook would need to be included I think. I'm not sure what the main piece is here(I value 1st/Timmins/Kaut similarly) but whatever it is you can't center a Marner trade around it.

If the price on Pietrangelo goes up, you're going to possibly screw yourself over by insisting on Newhook? The proposal was an easy no for a lot of Avs fans as it was suggested in the OP. If you switch someone with Newhook it then becomes crazy talk.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If the price on Pietrangelo goes up, you're going to possibly screw yourself over by insisting on Newhook? The proposal was an easy no for a lot of Avs fans as it was suggested in the OP. If you switch someone with Newhook it then becomes crazy talk.

Marner is only owed 700k this year. That's insanely valuable for a lot of teams in a covid world. If that's not that important to the Avs that's fine. But if the leafs needed to move Marner to sign Pietrangelo they could do a lot better than a deal centered around 1st/Timmins/Kaut because of that low 2020 salary.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Marner is only owed 700k this year. That's insanely valuable for a lot of teams in a covid world. If that's not that important to the Avs that's fine. But if the leafs needed to move Marner to sign Pietrangelo they could do a lot better than a deal centered around 1st/Timmins/Kaut because of that low 2020 salary.

Which teams and what would you be expecting from them in return? A lot of teams either don't have the cap space to add Marner or they're in a rebuild so paying Marner over 10 million while they don't have much of a chance at winning doesn't make sense. Look at what's happening around the league with all of these teams trying to cut payroll.

So again, where are these teams that want to give up what you want in order to take on that contract?

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs are in cap trouble and will need space to sign Pietro, Avs have lots of wiggle room and are after another top 6 forward. I feel like they can help each other out.

I know it's a lot to give from the Avs for essentially a cap dump from Toronto but they really need that #1 D and that's quite a haul for them. ELC's are going to be crucial to the Leafs and you have to give to get.

My guy just called Marner a cap dump /thread.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Which teams and what would you be expecting from them in return?

Half of the league considering there's been reports of over half the league trying to get salary expenditures to below 75 million. That takes them to the point where Marner's cap hit starts to not even matter which in turn make it all about his 700k which would make him so valuable. I don't know which teams those are because I'm not Kyle Dubas, but you don't take a huge loss on a trade like this. If that's all you'd get you'd rather take a loss on a Nylander trade if you absolutely had to make the room. But I've got a sneaking suspicion if Marner was available it would not be the least bit difficult to trade him for well better than this.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Colorado can pay a lot less for a guy 70-80% as good.
Avs already have Nate, Rant, Gabe, Kadri, dont need add $10M F.
In flat Cap era moving Marner or Nylander will be harder than Leafs fans hope.
My own view is that the big 4 is what makes these Leafs scary in their own way, and i wouldnt break them up.
If they get to add Petro make room elsewher

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Marner isn’t a “cap dump”. Imagine the return for MM if the Leafs retain 2 million per?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Half of the league considering there's been reports of over half the league trying to get salary expenditures to below 75 million. That takes them to the point where Marner's cap hit starts to not even matter which in turn make it all about his 700k which would make him so valuable. I don't know which teams those are because I'm not Kyle Dubas, but you don't take a huge loss on a trade like this. If that's all you'd get you'd rather take a loss on a Nylander trade if you absolutely had to make the room. But I've got a sneaking suspicion if Marner was available it would not be the least bit difficult to trade him for well better than this.

That's great. But I was talking about the cap hit which would be over 10 million. Many teams cant squeeze this in. On top of that, they're looking to cut payroll (both cash and cap).

So since you're not Kyle Dubas, that means you don't actually know which teams are lining up to give up a ton in assets to take on Marner's contract. You could be right but I'd really like to know who these mystery teams are given what's happening around the league.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Counter:

Avs trade: Byram, Newhook, 2020 1st

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Marner is due 7 per season in actual cash, he's absolutely not a cap dump lmao. If we trade him after next July 1st (when the actual cap squeeze would be with Rielly/Hyman), he'll be due just over 6 mil a season in cash and will likely be coming off a 90-100 point season.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
My guy just called Marner a cap dump /thread.
Anyone who has an NHL contract is a cap dump now I guess /s

But there is something pretty wrong with league where every team save for about 5 are pressed right up against the cap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

At least it’s not nylander

It’s too much to give up. Kaut was a mid 1st and Colorado is around 20 this year. It’s 1st or Ksut thrn a secondary prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad