Proposal: Avs help Leafs clear space for Pietro

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs are in cap trouble and will need space to sign Pietro, Avs have lots of wiggle room and are after another top 6 forward. I feel like they can help each other out.

Leafs trade: Marner
Avs trade: 2020 1st, Kaut, Compher, Timmins

I know it's a lot to give from the Avs for essentially a cap dump from Toronto but they really need that #1 D and that's quite a haul for them. ELC's are going to be crucial to the Leafs and you have to give to get.
Colorado might make an offer to Pietrangelo .

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The Leafs are in cap trouble and will need space to sign Pietro, Avs have lots of wiggle room and are after another top 6 forward. I feel like they can help each other out.

I know it's a lot to give from the Avs for essentially a cap dump from Toronto but they really need that #1 D and that's quite a haul for them. ELC's are going to be crucial to the Leafs and you have to give to get.
Lol no.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You’re the one that speculated that they could do better. I’m just asking what that looks like.

Why so timid suddenly?
Not timid at all. Just don't feel like going through multiple trade scenarios with someone who doesn't understand that you can't land a 90 point 23 year old with a late 1st and b prospect. That would be like me offering our 1st and liljegren for rantanen. Its a joke of an offer.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Not timid at all. Just don't feel like going through multiple trade scenarios with someone who doesn't understand that you can't land a 90 point 23 year old with a late 1st and b prospect. That would be like me offering our 1st and liljegren for rantanen. Its a joke of an offer.

It’s not really like that since Rantanen is better. But that’s beside the point.

The point is, if you say that you don’t want to speculate, you should probably stop short of saying that you can do better. Because in your words, you’re not the gm and wouldn’t know that.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

In what world is a 90 plus point player a cap dump?

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
What would the avs trade rantanen for then tou have your answer.
The difference in this particular scenario is the Leafs would be moving Marner to clear cap space in a flat cap/tight cash environment. As others have pointed out, there apparently isn't much cash savings due to the bonuses and a team still has to fit him under the cap within their budget structure in covid world.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The difference in this particular scenario is the Leafs would be moving Marner to clear cap space in a flat cap/tight cash environment. As others have pointed out, there apparently isn't much cash savings due to the bonuses and a team still has to fit him under the cap within their budget structure in covid world.
Players like marner and rantanen don't get traded for cap reasons so the entire premise is flawed. The leafs have kerfoot,johnson, dermott, holl, andersen, and nylander to trade if it comes to it. None of those contracts are bad value or cap dumps that can be moved if necessary. 90 point two way wingers that are 23 years old domt get traded to save cap.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is a bad return for the Leafs and too much money for the Avs.

However, Sakic loves good contracts and will happily relieve you from Nylander's cap hit if you were to get Petro.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This is a bad return for the Leafs and too much money for the Avs.

However, Sakic loves good contracts and will happily relieve you from Nylander's cap hit if you were to get Petro.

Toronto won't be out of their minds to ask for Byram for Nylander.

Otherwise, I'd rather keep our core and sign cheaper RHD options from FA.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

That contract =
upload_2020-9-19_17-2-32.jpeg

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

“I know it’s a lot to give up from the Avs for essentially a cap dump” LMAO

Reactions: Volcanologist

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Marner isn’t a capdump. His caphit negates a lot of his value though.
No it doesn't just stop. Everyone who is perpetuating that marners value is severely decreased because of his cap hit is wishful thinking. The kid probably tops out at 100 points in his prime. The word cap dump and 100 points don't fit together at all. Not to mention his two way game and dominant pk ability.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No it doesn't just stop. Everyone who is perpetuating that marners value is severely decreased because of his cap hit is wishful thinking. The kid probably tops out at 100 points in his prime. The word cap dump and 100 points don't fit together at all. Not to mention his two way game and dominant pk ability.

who exactly can willingly take on a 10+ Million contract in a flat cap world? The demand is extremely low and with that goes the value.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
No thanks. Our cap situation is amazing right now, no need to throw a grenade on it with Marner's contract.

Only way it's even remotely feasible is if Toronto retains to get his caphit down to about $9m, but that's not going to happen.

If we're "helping" Toronto out then it's Nylander we should go for.

Right now, but don’t they need to have space available pretty soon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->