GDT: Avs @ Devils Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I agree. Vatanen is the one who needs to be insulated with a steady partner. Not suggesting Vats is bad at all, but he's aggressive in every sense of the word. While I think Greene's play has obviously diminished, he did a lot more for Vats than he got credit for.

Reactions: TheSituation

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just finished watching the highlights since I only got to listen to the rest of the 3rd on the drive home.

It’s disappointing for sure because we were in it, but even aside from not playing our best game early on, things were clearly not going our way. Say what you will about killing most of the penalties but being on the PK for practically 1/3rd of the game won’t do you any favors. Couple that with how they scored their first goal and losing Zajac in the second, it was going to be a tall task to pull this one out.

I know it wasn’t our best game but I still think it speaks volumes about our team in how we stayed in it as long as we did. As Hynes said the other night, we’re never dead. Come out with a determined, better effort in Philly tomorrow and do another powerpray for Trav.

Reactions: Dialamo

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm going to send a fecal sample to the team offices if Santini (or god forbid Gryba) is playing over either Severson or Butcher next game.

I don't think he will be, but I think he might be in for Lovejoy. It's been a while since Lovejoy was a healthy scratch, but I think it was in March sometime.

There's literally no way Butcher gets healthy scratched and Sevs isn't going to get healthy scratched now while he's playing decent-good defensively. If anyone bites the dust it's Mueller (who could easily be this year's Santini and go from first pairing to out of the lineup) or Lovejoy.

Who once said you don't change a winning lineup?

Let's get real, Stafford playing ten meh minutes instead of Quenneville was not the difference in the game. The far more impactful 'change' was losing Zajac for half of it.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
I totally agree that Zacha HAS to find a way to get few points here. But, this is why it really sucks he didnt get 3 or 4 in the first 2 games, because he certainly deserved them. Now 5 games in, people only start seeing "0 points" on the stat line. But its not really the whole story, some games your just not afforded alot of opportunities. Take last night for example:
6 (!) Minutes on the PK
9 min TOI 5v5 (maybe the puck got to him twice? the entire game )
Took basically every defensive shift after Trav got hurt
Mojo (poor) and Stafford (abysmal) lost basically every puck battle (his wings have been awful since the sharks game)
0 shifts while trailing
0 shifts on the PP (still has yet to get any PP time despite having 2 fairly dominant games to start the season)
60% in the dot again but resulted in 0 zone time

Thats like stay at home defensman type usage.
Not sure what your gonna do in these conditions, in a game when your whole team is getting outskated and your down your other best defensive centerman.
But all anyone will remember is that he passed to Boyle instead of shooting on his only 2 0n 1.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think it's okay to change a winning lineup, but it's almost not okay to play Drew Stafford.

I'm pretty sure there will be a defense change on Saturday and I'll cry like a baby if Severson comes out for Santini or some bull **** like that. I doubt that's gonna be it, but who the hell knows?

I can't watch Saturday's game live. I have a wedding to attend.

LJ should come out.
He's a slow turnover machine

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
No problem with being 4-1.

However.

If Zajac is out for a long time, that's a big issue.

Also, Noesen is not playing well. JQ is a healthy scratch because he's not playing well. Stafford is not the solution at RW. Zacha is still not taking that next step. We have a depth issue and scoring is going to be completely dependent on the top line.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
1st line got pummeled tonight. One of those rare poor games from them. Thought Wood/Dea/Coleman had good games. Zacha was pretty invisible. Nothing good or bad I suppose.

Noesen hasn't been great, but I'm still very confident he'll turn it around. Feel like he deserves a longer leash than many of the forwards we currently have playing. People forget how vital he was to the team at times last year. Bratt should come in for JQ/Stafford when he's healthy. Unless they plan on scratching Boyle and moving Coleman to C (which they won't), then JQ/Stafford is a no brainer to come out.

Are you talking about at even strength? The boys on the top line came away with some points tonight.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

However.

Also, Noesen is not playing well. JQ is a healthy scratch because he's not playing well. Stafford is not the solution at RW. Zacha is still not taking that next step. We have a depth issue and scoring is going to be completely dependent on the top line.

I wouldn't go that far. Obviously we'll be leaning on the top line heavily, but I do think the depth for scoring is there. Yes, Mojo and Zacha haven't produced but guys like Wood, Zajac, Coleman, Dea and Boyle and even the defense have been chipping in. I think it'll be a matter of time for Mojo, Zacha and Noesen, hopefully sooner than later for the first two.

I definitely agree with you that if Zajac is out long term, it's a significant loss. While we can likely manage that center depth with Nico-Zacha-Coleman-Boyle, Zajac's stability as a center and on the PK will be sorely missed.

Powerpray today for good news.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hynes nailed it, they were not mentally engaged from the drop of the puck.

Still had a chance to earn points if Mueller didn't try to play goalie and if Greene didn't trip up Noesen.

Major concern is Trav's health

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

However.

Plus MoJo has been awful for his standards

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
When you sober up let us know what impressed you about it

Slightly sweet nose to it, smooth taste that wasn't too rye forward but had a nice heat that a rye is known for on the way down - just shy of what I'd call a medium burn. Just a really good balanced rye with some fruity notes to it. It'd be a good rye to sip straight or on rocks.

Reactions: My3Sons

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Anyone else think Blake Coleman has some hidden offensive upside. I notice that guy making increasingly nifty plays.

I think, in the right situation, he could be a 30 point ES player. That would require him to have better linemates though.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Really hate to be that guy but last night is atleast 50% on just Andy Greene. Essentially responsible for landeskogs hatty. He can’t wear the C and have games like that, and we know there’s a few more on the way (at least...)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Anyone else think Blake Coleman has some hidden offensive upside. I notice that guy making increasingly nifty plays.

I think, in the right situation, he could be a 30 point ES player. That would require him to have better linemates though.
Love his shoot-first mentality.

A great story on this team. I'll admit, with his age and pro experience, he's shown a lot more upside than I thought he had.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Unlucky that Palms rocket with the empty net didn't go. It was going far post and Grubauer overcommitted on his slide but was able to squeeze it on his left pad.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Was Gryba waived yesterday? I missed that.

I never even knew that. Kind of an odd move, since we didn't really need the spot, but I certainly support it. Maybe because he wasn't getting in a game anyway? Probably the reason.

I think it’s to open up an eventual spot for Bratt.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Not really worried about things based on this particular game. I think the big picture concern should be with that second line, especially Zacha. This kid needs to get his shit together. If he can't produce this season, it's a wrap on him. And it will hold this team back severely.

Reactions: MichaelJ

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Really hate to be that guy but last night is atleast 50% on just Andy Greene. Essentially responsible for landeskogs hatty. He can’t wear the C and have games like that, and we know there’s a few more on the way (at least...)

There were only 2 major gaffs by defensemen last night (one by Greene, one by Severson). The Greene gaff wound up in the back of the net, it happens. All-in-all, however, he didnt have a terrible game. None of the Dmen were bad last night.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
There were only 2 major gaffs by defensemen last night (one by Greene, one by Severson). The Greene gaff wound up in the back of the net, it happens. All-in-all, however, he didnt have a terrible game. None of the Dmen were bad last night.
? He got absolutely torched by landeskog, and fell down behind the net and took noesen with him. 2 guys down behind the net led directly to a goal. Personally I think those are both on him, but in the end it doesn’t really matter I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad