League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Orlov’s pizza…..delicious….
Correct me if I'm wrong but was that puck flat when Orlov tried to play it along the boards?

Please dear lord no - I don't think I can bear the Rangers winning a Cup. They are already insufferable enough.
No team has gone 16-0 to win it. Each round gets harder. Rangers will have to face their toughest goalie challenge in the ECF, either against Swayman or Bobrovsky.

Reactions: Misery74

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
If the Rangers finish off the Hurricanes, I'm guessing Brind'Amour is gone.
Hard to imagine with how much he means to that city, and how he turned the franchise around. Not sure what the reporting is regarding his extension atm.

Though, you have to wonder if he’s being out-coached in some of these runs? Canes play one way: north-south, forecheck you to death, throw pucks from everywhere. Is he failing to adjust? Of course, all the games are really tight (just like last year with FL) - so hard to tell if that’s what is going on. Maybe they’re just stuck being the 2020’s Sharks.

If ownership leaves him dangling at all, you’d have to wonder if MLSE would throw a bunch of $ his way.

Reactions: Capitals40

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hard to imagine with how much he means to that city, and how he turned the franchise around. Not sure what the reporting is regarding his extension atm.

Though, you have to wonder if he’s being out-coached in some of these runs? Canes play one way: north-south, forecheck you to death, throw pucks from everywhere. Is he failing to adjust? Of course, all the games are really tight (just like last year with FL) - so hard to tell if that’s what is going on. Maybe they’re just stuck being the 2020’s Sharks.

If ownership leaves him dangling at all, you’d have to wonder if MLSE would throw a bunch of $ his way.
Watching the Canes this playoffs that thing that sticks out for me is maybe a lack of some skill. Don't get me wrong they have skilled players. But when push comes to shove and you need true skill in crunch time it doesn't seem to be there. Granted there have been some teams that have won the SC the last 10 years that won it and didn't have this. To change my mind a bit but it seems like more of a chemistry issue all things said at this point.

Reactions: RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Watching the Canes this playoffs that thing that sticks out for me is maybe a lack of some skill. Don't get me wrong they have skilled players. But when push comes to shove and you need true skill in crunch time it doesn't seem to be there. Granted there have been some teams that have won the SC the last 10 years that won it and didn't have this. To change my mind a bit but it seems like more of a chemistry issue all things said at this point.
Hey Happy Birthday BTW!!

So, my sister has been in Raleigh for a while now, so I get a little more invested talking to her and my BiL. I agree they’re missing some more offensive guys that can deliver in big moments. Aho is great. Not sure if they can afford Guentzel - but they sure as hell should try.

I do wonder tho if the constant emphasis on grinding is taking away from some of the offensive creativity of their guys. They could use some more jam too - been getting pushed around by the Rags. It’s some terrible luck losing these all these OT games (same w FL last year). I’m sure they’ll mix the roster up a bit and maybe they’ll figure it out one year. Who knows.

We lived through all these frustrations, chasing our tails, last decade - so thank f*** everything came together for us in 2018, lol.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hey Happy Birthday BTW!!

So, my sister has been in Raleigh for a while now, so I get a little more invested talking to her and my BiL. I agree they’re missing some more offensive guys that can deliver in big moments. Aho is great. Not sure if they can afford Guentzel - but they sure as hell should try.

I do wonder tho if the constant emphasis on grinding is taking away from some of the offensive creativity of their guys. They could use some more jam too - been getting pushed around by the Rags. It’s some terrible luck losing these all these OT games (same w FL last year). I’m sure they’ll mix the roster up a bit and maybe they’ll figure it out one year. Who knows.

We lived through all these frustrations, chasing our tails, last decade - so thank f*** everything came together for us in 2018, lol.
Really like this post would agree they are basically just trying to dial in the best mix for hopefully the chemistry will hit in the playoffs. I mean they could use a TW as we've seen him get in the heads of franchises before, heh.

Reactions: RedRocking

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The Canes are weird. With Necas, Svechnikov, Aho, Guentzel and Burns/DeAngelo they should be much sharper on offense but they're not really utilizing those strengths in this series.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005

Ran across this recently which I found pretty interesting. I remember watching Kariya's college games and he was special. Those intentional predator head shots of his era look increasingly terrible.

Thanks for that. Very compelling watch. For a guy who absorbed that many concussions, Kariya seems to be a very healthy person mentally at present. And that’s obviously a function of how intentional and mindful he’s decided to be about his mental health

Reactions: usiel

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but was that puck flat when Orlov tried to play it along the boards?

No team has gone 16-0 to win it. Each round gets harder. Rangers will have to face their toughest goalie challenge in the ECF, either against Swayman or Bobrovsky.
The West survivor should be a test as well, but the pucks are bouncing the Rangers direction.

We should sign Guentzel.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Huge buy low opportunity on Marner if he waives his NMC. I get the postseason production complaints, I really do. But like Oshie it's very possible those issues go away on a new team. Not like Matthews has lit it up in the postseason either and I don't think anyone would say no to acquiring him.

Reactions: um

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1715360388732.gif

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
The Rangers right now are an example of a super strong team also getting the elite goaltending you’d hope for from a top goaltender in the league. He didn’t have to be good against the Caps, just being okay was more than enough. He’s been excellent against the Canes, and the big reason this series is 3-0, despite the games all being super close.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Did Tom Wilson bang your girlfriend or something? I swear to god you are totally obsessed.

Can we give this guy his own offseason TW hate thread, please?
The year is 2000. Twabby is enjoying Tom Hanks’ latest movie, “Cast Away.”

Suddenly, Tom loses Wilson - his painted volleyball bff - to the ocean current. Twabby sobs uncontrollably - “why doesn’t he use the wind profile power law to catch up?!”

From that day forward, twabby develops a defense mechanism of rage when hearing the name “Wilson,” particularly in proximity to “Tom”.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I promise everyone I don't hate Tom Wilson!

He just sticks out as the most obvious trade target to improve the team both short and long term. He's like the glowing red spot on an NES boss when it comes to making the team better! Just shoot it! Why are we trying shoot the dull gray armor instead of launching a nuke into that tender glowing membrane?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad