GDT: Avs @ Devils, 7:00 PM, MSG +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
You too? Come on. I watched the AVS feed and they commented how sloppy and listless they were.

Daws played a fine game and I always defend goaltending...but that wasn't the reason we won tonight.
Given Gillies’ goals allowed above expected if he’s in net we probably lose 5 or 6 to 4 and we’re being told on here that the team is garbage. That’s the point.

Daws is giving us average or slightly above average goaltending and that’s what we need. No one is saying Daws is the reason we won but he played well enough for us to win, something we haven’t had often from goalies this season.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Given Gillies’ goals allowed above expected if he’s in net we probably lose 5 or 6 to 4 and we’re being told on here that the team is garbage. That’s the point.

Daws is giving us average or slightly above average goaltending and that’s what we need. No one is saying Daws is the reason we won but he played well enough for us to win, something we haven’t had often from goalies.

It hasn’t even been average or above average. It’s been average or below average

Reactions: Devs3cups

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Here's where our goalies rank this season among all goalies with 200+ minutes (75 goalies)

Schmid - 75th in GSAA/60, 72nd in HDSV%
Gilles - 70th in GSAA/60, 48th in HDSV%
Blackwood - 69th in GSAA/60, 71st in HDSV%
Wedgewood - 52nd in GSAA/60, 52nd in HDSV%
Bernier - 22nd in GSAA/60, 69th in HDSV%
Daws - 26th in GSAA/60, 37th in HDSV%

This is embarrassing, below NHL level goaltending.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Nobody's saying they're THE REASON we won any more than they were never the only reason they lost. But you're underselling just how much of a difference average goaltending can be compared to dumpster fire goaltending.

No. Dawes has been great,

You're saying I shouldn't challenge when a Math works guy extrapolates out that we are really a 103 pt team with Dawes? Ignoring just about every relevant factor in the world to provide some 'fact'? Gtfo man, that's just silly talk.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

You're saying I shouldn't challenge when a Math works guy extrapolates out that we are really a 103 pt team with Dawes? Ignoring just about every relevant factor in the world to provide some 'fact'? Gtfo man, that's just silly talk.
Daws has not been great, he's been average. I know average looks like great in comparison to the dumpster fires we've had playing most of the season, but he hasn't been great even.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Daws is giving us average or slightly above average goaltending and that’s what we need. No one is saying Daws is the reason we won but he played well enough for us to win, something we haven’t had often from goalies this season.

No, we need efforts like tonight where Hughes looks like a top3 center and not a turnover machine, where Severson labels top corner instead of being a liability, where Bastian is a net front presence instead of a Kraken, where Graves and Hamilton are in the lineup, where Smith isn't a disaster.

Alot of things went right tonight. Be frigging happy. But don't tell me, oh yes, they've been perfect all along and we should be first in the Metro now...

Much has changed. Mark the progress and stop thinking it's just goaltending.

Reactions: archiemandl

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Here's where our goalies rank this season among all goalies with 200+ minutes (75 goalies)

Schmid - 75th in GSAA/60, 72nd in HDSV%
Gilles - 70th in GSAA/60, 48th in HDSV%
Blackwood - 69th in GSAA/60, 71st in HDSV%
Wedgewood - 52nd in GSAA/60, 52nd in HDSV%
Bernier - 22nd in GSAA/60, 69th in HDSV%
Daws - 26th in GSAA/60, 37th in HDSV%

This is embarrassing, below NHL level goaltending.

Bc team has sucketh. Your stats don't show quality of shots, but ok.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
No, we need efforts like tonight where Hughes looks like a top3 center and not a turnover machine, where Severson labels top corner instead of being a liability, where Bastian is a net front presence instead of a Kraken, where Graves and Hamilton are in the lineup, where Smith isn't a disaster.

Alot of things went right tonight. Be frigging happy. But don't tell me, oh yes, they've been perfect all along and we should be first in the Metro now...
I mean, I’ve never said that. This team with average goaltending is maybe not a playoff team, but they’re at least a bubble team imo. I don’t dismiss the other problems we have, because we do have other problems. But with good or even average goaltending, we’re most likely a bubble team. In brief, this team is better than its record shows, in my humble opinion. And being a bubble team this year would’ve been a success.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Daws has not been great, he's been average. I know average looks like great in comparison to the dumpster fires we've had playing most of the season, but he hasn't been great even.

In our past 15 games Schmid has played in 2 where he allowed 6 on 3.14 xGA, Gilles has played in 7 where he's allowed 28 on 18.49. Daws has played in 8 and allowed 19 on 19.08. This is what horrifically bad worst goaltending in the league vs average goaltending looks like.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bc team has sucketh. Your stats don't show quality of shots, but ok.
That is literally what those stats are accounting for.
GSAA - Goals Saved Above Average, the difference between the goalie's Goals Against and a Goals Against with the same Shots Against and the average SV% (within the selected filters).
HDSV% - Percentage of HD Shots Against that were Saves.
High Danger Scoring Chances - a scoring chance with a score of 3 or higher.
Natural Stat Trick - Glossary

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I mean, I’ve never said that. This team with average goaltending is maybe not a playoff team, but they’re at least a bubble team imo. I don’t dismiss the other problems we have, because we do have other problems. But with good or even average goaltending, we’re most likely a bubble team. In brief, this team is better than its record shows, in my humble opinion. And being a bubble team this year would’ve been a success.

Of course it is. If we had average goaltending we'd be a few points out. If we had good tending maybe a bubble team, and excellent goaltending a bubble team for sure.

That doesn't change the fact that we have played terrible hockey in many many periods this season, and occasionally really good hockey with our full lineup.

This was a team win and everyone did their part.

Reactions: My3Sons

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Our goaltending is suddenly looking a bit better...right at the same time that the team seems to have figured out how to turnover the puck less in their own slot and at their own blue line. At the same time that Hughes is not giving the puck away as much as he was previously while still putting up a ton of points. At the same time that Mercer and Shara have started producing consistently again. At the same time that those same young players seem to suddenly be making nice defensive plays that we didn't really see from them previously. Must just be more coincidences!

Daws workload in this game was minimal. Two of the goals he gave up were pretty weak. He's not looking all that much better than before, and only marginally better than the other goalies we've trotted out this season. The team in front of him is looking a lot better for the last couple of weeks. It's almost like it's finally clicked with these guys that they need to play at least a bit more responsibly when the goalies behind them are shit.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Of course it is. If we had average goaltending we'd be a few points out. If we had good tending maybe a bubble team, and excellent goaltending a bubble team for sure.

That doesn't change the fact that we have played terrible hockey in many many periods this season, and occasionally really good hockey with our full lineup.

This was a team win and everyone did their part.
Ok, then, how do you explain the horrible Goals Saved Above Expected from our goalies, that does take into account quality of shots?

Edit: Individual goalies for this have been posted a little higher. Gillies, Mac and Schmid are in the bottom of the league.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
That is literally what those stats are accounting for.

Natural Stat Trick - Glossary

No, they aren't. They account for distance from net. They account for some things to give the illusion that there is some value to them bc it's the best we can do right now without pucktracking and some sort of experts opinion or measurement of shit difficulty against an average goaltender

You can wave them in people's faces all you like, but they are pretty much garbage, tracking perhaps how bad your defense is in limiting opponents shots to the outside

Please don't call them what they aren't.

Pretty colors tho. That wins you points if not any sort of credibility.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
No, they aren't. They account for distance from net. They account for some things to give the illusion that there is some value to them bc it's the best we can do right now without pucktracking and some sort of experts opinion or measurement of shit difficulty against an average goaltender

You can wave them in people's faces all you like, but they are pretty much garbage, tracking perhaps how bad your defense is in limiting opponents shots to the outside

Please don't call them what they aren't.
I’d honestly like to learn more on if/why these specific stats can’t be relied upon. Do you have sources or articles that discuss them?

Reactions: Blender

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

There's a slight difference between 'on pace' (which is what was said) and actually being that.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
As far as the Avs...When they went up 3-0, I remember thinking to myself this is one of the most undeserved 3-0 leads I've ever seen. Two of their goals were flukey and weak from Daws. They clearly played an extremely lackluster game, which I suspect was a combination of them playing the night before and just going through the motions while in the middle of a road trip against a team with a poor record.

That's not to take anything from the Devils...because they played great in all facets and even if the Avs were at the level we'd expect this would have still been a competitive game. And we've seen so many times over the last several years examples of good teams coming in and still kicking our ass despite putting in a half-assed effort like the Avs did today. So this win is very much a good sign.

TLDR; the Avs thought they could sleepwalk their way through this game and still beat the Devils, but they were wrong. So f*** 'em, we deserved this W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad