Post-Game Talk: Avs def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Miller, Mikheyev, Zadorov) | Swear words.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Step 1) Play with superstar player who has 42 more points than you.

Step 2) Get lots of PP's.

Step 3) Give superstar the puck.

Step 4) Let him create points for you.

Step 5) Win 2024 Norris.
I’m honestly a big Hughes fan too as an Avs guy. But one of these guys has more goals than the other and it’s certainly not Hughes.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Not a good sign how bad the team wilted under the first indication of pressure.

Also shows just how much a different level a player like Mac is.

Not entirely DeSmith’s fault but have nowhere near the same confidence in him as Demko to steer the ship when it’s rocking.

Demko’s health is imperative to doing anything in the playoffs.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Will keep beating the same drum.

A complete player has: Skill, endurance, high awareness in the O zone and just as high awareness and skill in the D zone, high compete, mental strength, size and physical strength.

EP40 and Hughes have all of those except the last 2. That is reality. They're all world with the puck, with their vision, they have great endurance and are great on both ends of the puck.

They are incomplete players though in the fact that they cannot match up well physically when a playoff type of heavy game gets going. That is their Achilles heel. That is their one deficiency as players.

If you can't see that or admit it that doesn't make it untrue. Both of them are 9/10 players.

Unfortunately, for us that 1 thing they're missing matters in the playoffs.

Sid, Bergeron, Mack, Hedman, Doughty....Real complete players.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Was expecting to watch this game and got 'called in' to work last second and missed this and was pissed. Looks like I was lucky. Id be furious if I missed the shift and ot for this lol

Reactions: quat and calnuck

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
canucks controlled the first 2 periods...colorado couldn't generate anything

they get a lucky 2nd period buzzer beater and then a 5 on 3 to swing the momentum

We just got 7/8pts from LA, vegas, winnipeg, and colorado

They will learn from this

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019

they get a lucky 2nd period buzzer beater and then a 5 on 3 to swing the momentum

You are correct. 7 of 8 is very respectable.

I hope we can pick up 4 of the next 6 points.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The main issue had nothing to do with talent etc IMO. It all had to do with canuck forwards being unable to get the puck out of the zone the last half of the game. A lot of uncharacteristic turnovers right at the blueline ESPECIALLY by the normally very reliable centers. Both 5-on-5 and on the PK. They were getting possession back from the Avs but then they simply kept handing it back with weak clears or bad passes.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The main issue had nothing to do with talent etc IMO. It all had to do with canuck forwards being unable to get the puck out of the zone the last half of the game. A lot of uncharacteristic turnovers right at the blueline ESPECIALLY by the normally very reliable centers. Both 5-on-5 and on the PK. They were getting possession back from the Avs but then they simply kept handing it back with weak clears or bad passes.

Defensively, it was very reminiscent of a structure we saw under Travis Green where our guys were already backing into their own zone allowing the Avs to carry the puck into the zone without much pressure.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I took substantial negative feedback last game vs the Peg about the game not being as perfect as some fans declared.

The shots on goal was brought up over and over again, but not WHEN the Pegs shots came.

Like the Winnipeg game the Canucks did open up with a can of whup ass, totally dominating the Av's the first period and got a lead, shots for and against as well as the quality of shots were in the Canucks favour big time.

But after seeing this "circling the wagons" play for a few games after such domination seems to be systemic. These players didn't ALL suddenly decide to be careful and not take any chances to play it safe. To try to take the lead to the end of the game. To try to protect a lead.

Refereeing is subjective sometimes, while I don't point to a single play to blame, What was Soucy thinking? It doesn't take, "learn how to play" to hit the glass. With 2 seconds left the play was take it to the boards, with 10 seconds left the play is take it to the boards.

All in all a very, very impressive domination of the Avalanche the first period and then holding on for most of the rest of the game.
The big difference is this team isn't Winnipeg.

They got a point and it is only one game.

They are still in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Those of you who know me will know I am an upbeat kind of guy. That having been said, I simply do not understand why we don't have at least two, if not three power plays. As people have said, it would make sense to take Garland off and put Rhonek as an alternative setup with 2 D. When Joshua gets back he would be great in front of the net.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Will keep beating the same drum.

A complete player has: Skill, endurance, high awareness in the O zone and just as high awareness and skill in the D zone, high compete, mental strength, size and physical strength.

EP40 and Hughes have all of those except the last 2. That is reality. They're all world with the puck, with their vision, they have great endurance and are great on both ends of the puck.

They are incomplete players though in the fact that they cannot match up well physically when a playoff type of heavy game gets going. That is their Achilles heel. That is their one deficiency as players.

If you can't see that or admit it that doesn't make it untrue. Both of them are 9/10 players.

Unfortunately, for us that 1 thing they're missing matters in the playoffs.

Sid, Bergeron, Mack, Hedman, Doughty....Real complete players.

Yeah these players sure did crumble the last time we made the playoffs /s

Inb4 bubble doesn't count

Reactions: I am toxic

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Those of you who know me will know I am an upbeat kind of guy. That having been said, I simply do not understand why we don't have at least two, if not three power plays. As people have said, it would make sense to take Garland off and put Rhonek as an alternative setup with 2 D. When Joshua gets back he would be great in front of the net.
I have no idea why they seem to think having Boeser on the point is better than Hronek, Myers or Zadorov. Boeser doesn't shoot from the point, he isn't a great puck possession guy or really good stick handler. He certainly isn't a defenceman although he is not as bad Miller.
Having 2 D's would also reduce some of those shorties.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
There are sure some awful Canucks fans. We owned the game for 39 minutes. They fluke a goal in the last minute of the second. From then on the game was determined by bad refereeing. As everyone has pointed out there were at least five unequal calls going the Avs way in the last 20 minutes. And you are going to criticise the Canucks because the they couldn't change the flow of the game with that crap going on. Soucy has been excellent and that puck was millimeters from being fine. A bad result and sulking Canucks fans want to burn the town down just like 2011. You are a bunch of whining babies. You know who you are.

The shots attempts were 56-23 in favor of the Colorado Avalanche…

Reactions: S E P H

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Defensively, it was very reminiscent of a structure we saw under Travis Green where our guys were already backing into their own zone allowing the Avs to carry the puck into the zone without much pressure.

A lot of that backing in was for the same reasons...bad passing and turnovers around the blueline (either side).

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Aves just have a crazy top of the lineup and when they keep rolling those guys out it's a challenge for any team. Canucks got a bad break on that late goal in the second period. Once again the Canucks special teams let them down, and their continued problems really amplifies any bad calls the officials make.

Well played by Colorado. For the rest of this season I'll be cheering for them........to lose.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

This is precisely what happened...and it really pissed me off.

For the first 40 minutes of this game, the Canucks played like they did in the previous two..They picked up , right where they left off.

Previous to that buzzer beater, the Av's were done and dusted,..That buzzer beater was an ominous signal for the 3rd period (and I said as much at the time)..The dominoes were going to fall, and they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00