Post-Game Talk: Avs def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Miller, Mikheyev, Zadorov) | Swear words.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I was at the game and thought the EP call was extremely weak. I thought the Cole call was even worse. I came home and watched the replays. Those two calls are just shocking. There really isn’t any way to defend them. I don’t want to make excuses for the team. But there’s no way those two call can’t be reviewed and have the refs disciplined.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Can you really call that goal a fluke? It was a good pass to the crease and literally 2 Canuck players sandwiched the Avalanche player that deflected it in. No one tied up his stick...
That was just crap defending.
There was a very weird bounce off the boards 3s prior to that and the pass to the crease got there as Juulsen and Lindholm were recovering. I don’t think it was particularly bad. Lindholm and Juulsen both saw the Avs F.

We can’t really know what happened on the ice but it seemed like Juulsen needed to make a call there because I think Lindholm expected the avs F to stay around the faceoff dot and not crash.

But it was such a quick play.

Either way, 3-1 was a flattering scoreline going into the third. It felt even and it should have been 2-2 or so going into the third.

Third was just awful.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Midway through the second period, the Canucks were giving up their own blueline far too easily. And once the Av's were in the zone, it was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters in action. Canucks couldn't re-possess the puck or win a puck battle.

This game is a reminder how much the Canucks rely on Demko in these big games against Western Conference heavyweights. It's not that DeSmith was bad. But Demko just seems to find a way to make a 10-bell save when the Canucks are holding on.

Should have been a Canuck win tonight. If they get out of the second period still up 3-0, the Av's might have mailed it in, in the third. But unfortunately this team has a penchant for giving up goals late in periods.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Canucks had a good game plan to kick off. Avs started slow having played the night before and took a while to get going. But then then they found another gear and took over the game. They are rather scary post-trade deadline. Fortunately, they are not a potential first-round opponent.

I feel like a lot of teams are rather scary post-trade... It's unfortunate Lindholm doesn't really make Canucks scary.

Reactions: Indiana

cc

Feb 28, 2002
This was more about Canucks losing their composure. They started experiencing pressure and folded like a paper crane.

I thought the goal at the end of the 2nd was the turning point. Last minute goals are daggers. You'd hope they could regroup during the intermission but instead, looked like they played scared the rest of the way

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
On the flip side, some of you would be peeing your pants if you were soccer fans in Europe. Or even fans of the other Big 4 sports in America. You think THIS is bad?? Lol, some of you are sooooo soft. People can criticize the team, especially after a game in which they gave up 4 unanswered goals in uninspiring fashion. Nobody is saying they're going to go be fans of another team or suggesting we trade everyone and fire everyone. They're pissed off at the result and calling out the BS, especially the stuff that is a pattern with this team. That's absolutely fair game.
Yeah.

I really do not understand this idea that hockey players are so mentally weak that if a talking head criticizes them they will want to in to exile in Arizona just to get away from the horrific attention...

Soccer players in Europe get booed by their entire home stadiums.

Usually what the players try to do there is win the crowd back over to their side.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It's a bit of a weird thing to say after a game in which they choked away a 3-0 lead, but I have to reiterate how impressive the Canucks were defensively tonight. The Avs not bringing their best for the first half of the game was definitely a factor in that as well but for most of the game the Canucks were fairly clinical in not giving them anything. The problem is between the ears. Hopefully that kind of thing is fixed with something as simple as experience. As I said before, they need some playoff action to their names badly.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
ahmon said:
Once you get into the playoffs its all about which team can swing momentum.

I thought the 5-3 was a weak call, but even after Avs scored, its 3-2 for the Canucks.

Why can't the canucks use that weak call as motivation to swing momentum back and play pissed off and forecheck the Avs? Instead you have the AVs line that has been running around all game, with cheap shots in Colton, Wood and you allow them to score? thats weak.

This team is not winning the cup - let's be real. This team doesn't know how to swing momentum and the PP which are our top players lack killer instinct.

Hope to win a round and learn and continue to add in the offseason. And if Allvin re-signs Lindholm to double down on his mistake, we are screwed.

I wanted to give credit to the post above from ahmon: It's scathing, and I'm not sure it's fair to damn them to be a loser, but it calls out the right thing:

1. This game was lost because the Canucks' top players couldn't wrest control back from the Avs' top players.

2. What a great point about the PP mimicking the same issue at ES: The top players are again the issue there too. Somebody has to lead it forward.

3. Which reminds me, Garland needs to be off the PP. COL didn't care about him being there. He was ignored. Retrievals are not more important than skill. Put Lindholm out there.

4. You must forecheck the Avs, period. In order to do that, you have to want the puck. The Canucks played scared after the successive shifts the Avs strung together in the late second. They then turtled.

5. For the first 35 min, the Canucks were full value. However, there was a point in the 2nd where COL chained 4-5 shifts together, and I believe Mackinnon's line alternated with Colton's line for three of them and then the Mittelstadt followed it up. That right there had the Canucks reeling. They never recovered.

It wasn't the bad calls (terrible non-call on Manson). It was the momentum changers on this team not pushing at the right time.

Mackinnon gives me Jordan vibes. He's got an impossible will to win and will drag his team forward. He's also got a gear most can't match. Great, great player.

Every team loses. This one stings, but every team has a few losses like this. I'm just looking for command from this team's top players. The tell tale sign will be the PP. They have to get it going and make it a weapon again. Gain confidence, then go from there.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah.

I dont really understand it anymore.

They are just horrific. Its a momentum killer at this point when we get a PP and they manage 0-1 shots in the following 2 mins.
I think Tocchet big brained it for awhile there with Miller net front and Boeser/Garland handling the puck at the half wall which was just dumb even if Miller himself suggested it. Now the formation is a bit more logical, but they're just in a slump so it's become a confidence issue in my opinion.

I'd just go back to running the usual 4 in their regular positions with Lindholm in the bumper spot, I know Tocchet doesn't like the Miller half wall and Lindholm bumper combo, but I'd like to see it get some run before writing it off. I think Lindholm is probably the best suited for the bumper since he probably has the best snap shot on the team outside of the 4 staple pp1 guys.

My issue with Garland out there is that he gets outmuscled on rebounds/deflection opportunities if he's in the bumper/crease and if he moves to the side wall he can't shoot from distance and he has a habit of overhandling the puck(this is fine on the 2nd unit since he's not keeping the puck out of Miller/Hughes/Petey's hands)

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can't wait for 'Big Z' to make his mark in the Stanley Cup playoffs. This guy is simply a beast in his own zone. How can Allvin not move heaven and earth to bring the guy back?

At times he almost singlehandedly makes the Canucks play 'bigger' out there.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think Tocchet big brained it for awhile there with Miller net front and Boeser/Garland handling the puck at the half wall which was just dumb even if Miller himself suggested it. Now the formation is a bit more logical, but they're just in a slump so it's become a confidence issue in my opinion.

I'd just go back to running the usual 4 in their regular positions with Lindholm in the bumper spot, I know Tocchet doesn't like the Miller half wall and Lindholm bumper combo, but I'd like to see it get some run before writing it off. I think Lindholm is probably the best suited for the bumper since he probably has the best snap shot on the team outside of the 4 staple pp1 guys.

My issue with Garland out there is that he gets outmuscled on rebounds/deflection opportunities if he's in the bumper/crease and if he moves to the side wall he can't shoot from distance and he has a habit of overhandling the puck(this is fine on the 2nd unit since he's not keeping the puck out of Miller/Hughes/Petey's hands)
Why is this?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Why is this?
He mentioned this after a practice media session, he doesn't like Miller on that half wall with a righty in the slot since he thinks that hurts the threat of the one timer shot in the slot.

I get that, but why not give it a shot? Boeser and Lindholm can both still be threats for deflections and slap pass goals. It also might open up things for Petey as a playmaker on the other side.

Edit: and now he has righty Garland out there so I don't get it.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He mentioned this after a practice media session, he doesn't like Miller on that half wall with a righty in the slot since he thinks that hurts the threat of the one timer shot in the slot.

I get that, but why not give it a shot? Boeser and Lindholm can both still be threats for deflections and slap pass goals. It also might open up things for Petey as a playmaker on the other side.
Its not like they are generating any one timers from the slot now... :huh:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Its not like they are generating any one timers from the slot now... :huh:
He also now has righty Garland out there now instead. To me in this situation, you throw your best pp qb dman out there with your 4 best powerplay forwards and then figure out the rest from there instead of trying to galaxy brain the situation. Tocchet even says he likes player movement on the powerplay so being so picky about the Lindholm in the bumper with Miller at the half wall seems contradictory.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
powerplay needs an overhaul. completely. petey is pointless if he doesnt shoot. put hronek for clappers. lindholm to bumper. boeser for his onetimes on the left wall. miller back to his old spot. petey can go to 2nd unit.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Usually this is the part where I contradict everyone and say the refs were fine, but I can't even do that.

That was one of the worst officiated games in awhile. While you gotta make it out of the 2nd 3-0, Hughes interference call was horseshit plain and simple. Bad call. But most of the damage was down around the game management side which is NHL unspoken policy since I've been watching hockey. The refs I truly believe don't want to impact the game at all, but call it fair. I have no doubt, but what would you do if you get a memo that for all we know could say "Do this or lose your job."

I have to wonder if the score isn't what it is, Manson gets a heavier penalty. I have to wonder if the Cole stick on MacK (which Nate f***ing embellished, and you can't convince me of otherwise) gets called at all if the Avs aren't down 1. In fact, I'd go so far as to say there will be 1 fanbase in a very similar situation where they don't get the call in the playoffs.

It's bush league, and while the refs dispense, I think the blame falls to the league for these horseshit policies to drive interest in unfavourable hockey markets (who are struggling to stay in playoff races, not the sun belt teams hur dur). I don't think I would, but if I were betting on NHL I would take a hard second look at myself.

For the most part, we had them dead to rights and the refs opened the door for a good team to do what it does.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Canucks did not play great in the 3rd but honestly that was such an unlucky loss

-2 seconds away from taking a 3-0 lead into the 3rd, kind of a lucky goal
-Avs gifted a 5 on 3 on one of the most obvious embellishments that I have ever seen
-They missed an obvious penalty against the Avs right after
-Unforced error puck over glass 7 seconds left to go into OT shorthanded
-OT goal gets blocked and somehow deflects off a dudes face and into the net

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Miller's post game presser right now really makes me feel like he should be Captain.

No slight against Hughes, but Miller is the vocal and emotional leader of the team.

And it's no surprise he's always the first person interviewed. Holding the team accountable, no excuses.
I don't really think it matters who wears the C.

The leaders probably step up in the locker room, whether they wear the C or not.

I get your point though, Miller seems to be who you'd conventionally think as captain of a team.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Man I feel bad for DeSmith, he actually had a great game but got fluked on a couple of times. It will be interesting to see his next game. I think he will rebound.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
We don’t give them that last second goal in the 2nd..the Av’s would have gone off quietly into the night..

Going into the 3rd ..we left the door open enough for the Av’s to come back..They had the psychological momentum..Anytime you’re protecting a 3-1 lead ( worst lead in hockey) the calls are always going to go against you..they always do..(game management) as the team protecting the lead starts making errors.

I’ve seen it a million times watching hockey games..Canucks had something similar to this in their game in Detroit

Agreed if they closed out the 2nd would likely have been a different outcome.

Still elite teams will occasionally let in a softie in going into the 3rd.

What's more important is how you respond going into the last frame.

Details. Hopefully a good learning lesson if they make the right adjustments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad