Rumor: Avs considering Tatar as circle back option [Mod Warning in OP]

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
You’re 100% right that you don’t HAVE to trade him. But his value will never be higher than it is now (whether that’s generally or under the current trade market), and MTL needs to get serious about this rebuild/“retool” if you want to become a legitimate contender in the next 3+ years. Right now all Tatar is doing is negatively impacting your draft selection this year, and his value will take a significant hit this offseason since he’ll be a rental next year.

Would you guys like a 1st + Timmins package? Absolutely. But if the choice is between a 1st + Kaut and keeping Tatar, you’re making a big mistake holding onto Tatar.
I think it depends if other teams enter the mix. I'd like the value of a Timmins + 1st package, and I think other teams would be willing to give it up. However, the likely teams seem to be division rivals, which I think we'd just have to accept.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I don't know all that much about the avs prospects to comment, but Tatar has been stellar for two years straight. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he did indeed go for something like a high end prospect + a first. He's the best player we have and the best player we have had in a while. I feel he's as good or even better than Radulov who got 72 pts with Dallas twice. Tatar would thrive in any team, he's much better than what he was with the wings now.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think it depends if other teams enter the mix. I'd like the value of a Timmins + 1st package, and I think other teams would be willing to give it up. However, the likely teams seem to be division rivals, which I think we'd just have to accept.
I think St-Louis is in the market for a top 6 LW. If Kreider ends up in Boston as rumored, STL and COL will have to circle back on Tatar. Blais, Kostin + 1st in not impossible IMO.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
I think St-Louis is in the market for a top 6 LW. If Kreider ends up in Boston as rumored, STL and COL will have to circle back on Tatar. Blais, Kostin + 1st in not impossible IMO.
I've had my eye on Sanford since last year, would love to pry him out of there as part of a package

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
After what Zucker Coleman Toffoli returned I can’t imagine what Tatar will cost. Is there a pick better than 1st? :laugh:

but honestly Timmins and a 1st

Reactions: Benstheman

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I wouldn’t be surprised if other teams offered a package on par with a 1st + Timmins. That actually seems like a very Edmonton thing to do. I just don’t see any way the Avs offer Timmins unless another guy like Danault is involved (which I’m sure would be too much from the Habs perspective).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Connauton, Timmins, Beaucage, Kovalenko and a 1st for Tatar and Thompson.

Sure... Want Kaut + Bowers + Newhook + another 1st along with that?

I'm not sure what fan base is more delusional on these boards. Habs fans with the massive overvaluing of Price and now Tatar/Drouin... or Rangers fans with the overrating of pending UFAs.

And of course, the Avs are rumored to be interested in players from both teams... Should make for a excruciatingly annoying week as Avs fans as we read over and over that it'll take our very best prospects(A la Timmins/Newhook/Byram) or our best Dman period(Girard LOL) to get players we dont even particularly want.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Whatever you say. The market dictated Coleman’s value and it will dictate Tatar’s. Newhook, Byram, and Timmins didn’t go for a superstar in Hall, so I highly, highly doubt they go for a lesser player in Tatar.

Yes but at the same time it was reported that Edmonton wouldn’t pony up a first for Hall but their first was in play for Coleman.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
This is the type of rumour you leak when you don’t want the guy as much as the other team.

Bruins fan here. Can’t fool me anymore with these hot takes. Had decades of reading them

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I saw a facebook post from RDS saying that Bergevin was in Denver to scout. Boy I read the comments. Someone suggested Tatar and Kovy for a 1st, Newhook and Timmins or someone straight up Byram. It was a funny read though. Anyway what does Habs fans expect to get for Tatar?
I just ask to not group all us habs fans together, some of us aren't idiots haha. Id love newhook but that byram ir newhook +1s is dumb. I know its probably not happening but i do have a feeling if tatar goes it will be to COL but i have no idea for what

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yes but at the same time it was reported that Edmonton wouldn’t pony up a first for Hall but their first was in play for Coleman.
Yes, and? We're talking about the Avs' involvement here, not Edmonton's. Sakic hasn't gone against his word of building up the organizational depth once during his tenure as a GM.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is the type of rumour you leak when you don’t want the guy as much as the other team.

Bruins fan here. Can’t fool me anymore with these hot takes. Had decades of reading them

Nah, this is actually the kind of rumor you "leak" when you dont have a sweet f***ing clue and constantly fling shit at a wall hoping something will finally stick so people take you remotely seriously and pay for your shitty subscription based blog site.

In case you couldn't tell, I dont think very highly of Adrian Dater. But this "rumor" is pretty much textbook bullshit writing itself.

Reactions: easton117

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You’re 100% right that you don’t HAVE to trade him. But his value will never be higher than it is now (whether that’s generally or under the current trade market), and MTL needs to get serious about this rebuild/“retool” if you want to become a legitimate contender in the next 3+ years. Right now all Tatar is doing is negatively impacting your draft selection this year, and his value will take a significant hit this offseason since he’ll be a rental next year.

Would you guys like a 1st + Timmins package? Absolutely. But if the choice is between a 1st + Kaut and keeping Tatar, you’re making a big mistake holding onto Tatar.

Depends on who else is offering and what management thinks of Kaut. I wouldn't be shocked if Montreal decided to pass if they don't like Kaut. They already have two early 2nds (their own and Chicago's). They have a deep prospect pool too. If they don't like Kaut that much, he and a late 1st probably doesn't get it done.

Reactions: Vachon23

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Colorado's cap isn't an issue for the next 4 years (until Mackinnon needs to re-up).

Montreal just retained on Scandella and aren't allowed to retain for more than 2 players...assuming Bergevin sells more than one other player, he'd be better to use that retention slot with another team than Colorado even if Tatar is going there.

You're right I'd much rather retain on Gallagher and get a massive haul for him :P

With respect to this thread I sure hope the Kreider deal doesn't fall through... Sakic would bend Bergevin over baaaaddd

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
No but it would certainly cost Newhook + or one of your good young D
It’s this sort of mentality and overrating players in the Montreal market that’s the reason you guys haven’t gotten back to the Cup finals in almost 20 years.

Tatar is a fine player and would be a very nice 5th option for the Avs. But that doesn’t make him worth 1 of the Avs 3 best prospects. He should command a 1st + Decent Prospect (Kaut/Bowers) + throw in (Jost or lower round pick).

ultraboy

Jul 7, 2006
Tatar is good player, 1 round pick and solid prospect should do it.. I don’t know if AVS are good trading partner with us just because Sakic is smart man and Berg won’t make a deal if he thinks he didn’t get enough..

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Depends on who else is offering and what management thinks of Kaut. I wouldn't be shocked if Montreal decided to pass if they don't like Kaut. They already have two early 2nds (their own and Chicago's). They have a deep prospect pool too. If they don't like Kaut that much, he and a late 1st probably doesn't get it done.
Of course. If MTL doesn’t like Kaut (or Bowers for argument sake), then I understand passing on that deal. But it would be a monumental mistake to keep a guy like Tatar for the next 1.25 years, allowing him to ruin your draft odds, and then letting him walk in FA. Whoever the Habs perceive to make the best offer, they should take it.

Reactions: abo9

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Nah, this is actually the kind of rumor you "leak" when you dont have a sweet ****ing clue and constantly fling **** at a wall hoping something will finally stick so people take you remotely seriously and pay for your ****ty subscription based blog site.

In case you couldn't tell, I dont think very highly of Adrian Dater. But this "rumor" is pretty much textbook bull**** writing itself.
Lol fair enough. I don’t know his work.

Im used to reading Haggerty and his web of daily lies

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
It’s this sort of mentality and overrating players in the Montreal market that’s the reason you guys haven’t gotten back to the Cup finals in almost 20 years.

Tatar is a fine player and would be a very nice 5th option for the Avs. But that doesn’t make him worth 1 of the Avs 3 best prospects. He should command a 1st + Decent Prospect (Kaut/Bowers) + throw in (Jost or lower round pick).
That's reasonable thinking though I disagree about his value.

However, the first part is just blatantly untrue. Nepotistic hiring standards, incompetent owners, french language requirements, and bad scouting/development are infinitely more to blame than anything coming from the fanbase.

Reactions: abo9
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
No idea if there is any credibility to this rumour, but the more I think of it, the more I like it. I think Tatar would thrive on a team like Colorado.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I should have specified. I personally wouldn't trade a 1st for him. Very well possible that another GM might. Maybe even my own (really hope not).

I'm curious, respectfully (you have the right to not like the player). What is it you would be ready to trade for him? The way I see it, a late 1st pick (like the Colorado pick will be) is far from certain to even become an NHL player, while Tatar averages 49 points/82 games during his career.

From a Habs' pov, I'd much rather get a known prospect than a late 1st, but I believe the likely return will be a 1st + B or lower prospect

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Hahaha! Sure, the fans valuation of their player is the reason Montreal was not in the finals in the last 20 years (it's been almost 30 years to be fair). I'd say Price injury in the East finals against NY is a better reason, but it's just me! :laugh:

What's Colorado excuse for the last 18 years? The fans as well?

Blaming the fans is a good one.

Reactions: Holystik and c3z4r

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad