Rumor: Avs considering Tatar as circle back option [Mod Warning in OP]

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think so. He just had 2 career years, he's only 29, and signed to an excellent contract. His value is at an all-time high. Add to that the fact he's the top forward rumored available on a crazy seller market, with many teams looking for a top 6 forward, the value is even higher.
Chris Kreider is the top forward on the market, not Tomas Tatar.

Reactions: Morrison

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
I saw a facebook post from RDS saying that Bergevin was in Denver to scout. Boy I read the comments. Someone suggested Tatar and Kovy for a 1st, Newhook and Timmins or someone straight up Byram. It was a funny read though. Anyway what does Habs fans expect to get for Tatar?

If he's traded this deadline, a 1st+2nd+a young roster player/good prospect something like a Jost/kaut although I have no interest in getting Jost. I would prefer getting someone like Puljujarvi or Gurianov if it's possible. Basically a slight combination of the Coleman and Tofolli deals since tatar is better than tofolli at a good cap it and has the term of a coleman.

Reactions: Spilot23

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
I'm sorry but this has to be the fifth thread about the Habs dealing with colorado and in every single one it is drenched with insane proposals for the avs top prospects lol. Already see where this is going as Timmins name is getting tossed around with a first. Isn't happening.

well what would you like to pay for a top-line guy? 5th round picks?

Reactions: Morrison

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
well what would you like to pay for a top-line guy? 5th round picks?

Kaut and a first will be the basis of any of these trades. Timmins, newhook and Byram aren't going anywhere and that's been proven and said multiple times by avs management

Reactions: Gatorbait19

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Since Coleman got an A prospect + a first then the return at the minimum is Newhook and a 1st, I’d say add something else too. I know Coleman is cheap at 1.8m but if we retain 50% then I’d said Tatar is far more valuable at 2.4m

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains
Haefele with the names he’s heard

Attachments

• 35B9F248-BDC4-4A4C-A744-51B6E03E463F.jpeg
    35B9F248-BDC4-4A4C-A744-51B6E03E463F.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Since Coleman got an A prospect + a first then the return at the minimum is Newhook and a 1st, I’d say add something else too. I know Coleman is cheap at 1.8m but if we retain 50% then I’d said Tatar is far more valuable at 2.4m

There's no need to retain. Avs have cap space, and of course on that case they like to go with lower value with no retain.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Newhook and a 1st is definitely pushing it. I think if anything does happen, Timmins and a 1st makes the most sense. I know fans think Timmins should be off limits, but it seems Colorado has the depth to offset losing him.

Really all depends on what happens with Kreider, but I think if Timmins or Newhook aren't part of the package coming back, Montreal will look elsewhere.

We'll see though, Bergevin has never traded for a 1st, even in his big trades he targets young talent rather than high picks.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Blake Coleman makes $3m less for the same amount of term. That's far more valuable to a contending team up against the cap than even Tatar at 50% retained. He also PKs at an elite level and is one of the quickest skaters in the NHL.

Ya no. Your not convincing anyone that a 3rd liner being paid 1.8 M is worth more than a top line forward being paid 2.65 M.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
I know the market is bananas right now, but do you really expect a guy like Tatar to command a bigger return than he has in his last 2 trades? That’s just not going to happen (and no it doesn’t matter that you guys flipped Scandella for a bigger return than you got him for).

in the same post you managed to say you can't get a bigger package than what you paid for and then pointing out the fact that it happened an hour ago by the same gm and saying that doesn't count (for who knows what reason) that is a very interesting analysis.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Ya no. Your not convincing anyone that a 3rd liner being paid 1.8 M is worth more than a top line forward being paid 2.65 M.
Whatever you say. The market dictated Coleman’s value and it will dictate Tatar’s. Newhook, Byram, and Timmins didn’t go for a superstar in Hall, so I highly, highly doubt they go for a lesser player in Tatar.

Reactions: Ncit3

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Blake Coleman makes $3m less for the same amount of term. That's far more valuable to a contending team up against the cap than even Tatar at 50% retained. He also PKs at an elite level and is one of the quickest skaters in the NHL.

Although I do agree with Coleman's qualities that you just stated, but if you implied that he has more value, or that he add more value to a team than Tatar I strongly disagree. the difference in salary is not big enough for the difference in the quality of the player..Tatar's not making 9 mil..

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Thing is with Tatar is that he doesn’t need to go at rental prices. If the Habs are being offered a 2nd and middling prospect at best, they can get that at next years deadline as well.

Anyway, if a trade does happen, one way or the other this thread will be fun to reread. And I’m sure that no matter which way it goes, nobody who is posting so assuredly will take a step back and say- “maybe it’s time I stop thinking I know what NHL execs are thinking and how they value their assets”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad