Rumor: Avs considering Tatar as circle back option [Mod Warning in OP]

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Whatever you say. The market dictated Coleman’s value and it will dictate Tatar’s. Newhook, Byram, and Timmins didn’t go for a superstar in Hall, so I highly, highly doubt they go for a lesser player in Tatar.
At the time, Rantanen/Kadri/Wilson were not injured long term. There is certainly some pressure on Sakic to do something. If he strikes out on Kreider, Bergevin will have quite a bit of leverage since he's not even forced to trade Tatar and quite a few teams seem to have interest.

Reactions: No ReGretzkys

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
I hope Tatar does get traded so we can see habs fans disappointment. “NeWhOoK + 1sT”

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Whatever you say. The market dictated Coleman’s value and it will dictate Tatar’s. Newhook, Byram, and Timmins didn’t go for a superstar in Hall, so I highly, highly doubt they go for a lesser player in Tatar.

obviously byram wouldn't be included but newhook/timmins are a tier below.

Not to mention your whole point doesn't make any sense since hall was a ufa and tatar still has an extra year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
When that 3rd line forward has as many goals and brings things Tatar doesn't, absolutely
Avs don’t want Tatar. It’s propaganda leaked by Joe in hopes to get Kreider for as cheap as he can. Trouble for Joe is there are other teams wanting Kreider too. Plus, the injury to Rantanen last night. Joe needs Kreider. If he gets him the price will be crazy.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
in the same post you managed to say you can't get a bigger package than what you paid for and then pointing out the fact that it happened an hour ago by the same gm and saying that doesn't count (for who knows what reason) that is a very interesting analysis.
I love your assumption that because 1 shitty GM undersold a player to you, that’s now the norm. I never said that you can’t get a bigger package than you gave up for a guy, but said that Tatar specifically wouldn’t return more than he already did. You’re off your rocker if you think you’re getting anything more for Tatar and his 1.25 years left, than Zucker did with 3.25 years left.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Colorado's cap isn't an issue for the next 4 years (until Mackinnon needs to re-up).

Montreal just retained on Scandella and aren't allowed to retain for more than 2 players...assuming Bergevin sells more than one other player, he'd be better to use that retention slot with another team than Colorado even if Tatar is going there.
Teams can retain on up to 3 contracts. Currently they’re only retaining on Scandella.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

Not to mention your whole point doesn't make any sense since hall was a ufa and tatar still has an extra year.

Newhook and Timmins are in the same tier of prospects in the eye of sakic. He wouldn't trade the pick that got newhook for Kreider and he wouldn't trade Timmins in a trade to get hall, it definitely won't happen for Tatar.

Reactions: JAVO16

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Although I do agree with Coleman's qualities that you just stated, but if you implied that he has more value, or that he add more value to a team than Tatar I strongly disagree. the difference in salary is not big enough for the difference in the quality of the player..Tatar's not making 9 mil..

Contending teams are usually up against the cap at this time of year. Coleman cost so much because he's signed past this year AND due to his cap hit being so low. If the cost outweights the benefit, then teams won't trade for that player. Considering Tampa will likely be right back up against the cap next year, Coleman is more valuable to them than someone like Tatar.

The Avs don't need guys on cheap contracts at all and won't pay through the nose for one.

At the time, Rantanen/Kadri/Wilson were not injured long term. There is certainly some pressure on Sakic to do something. If he strikes out on Kreider, Bergevin will have quite a bit of leverage since he's not even forced to trade Tatar and quite a few teams seem to have interest.

It doesn't matter if there are injuries on the team - Sakic doesn't make panic moves and the team is positioned well enough right now that they aren't at risk of missing the playoffs unless something goes seriously wrong. Besides, the team kept winning when Rantanen, Landeskog, and Grubauer were all out with injury earlier this year, and they can do it again.

Newhook is barely a tier below Byram right now. He's torn up the NCAA as a freshman - he had 8 points in the last 3 games. And his coach is putting him in key defensive positions because he's trusted as a two-way player.

Timmins has been given the confidence of the Avs' org since day 1 and they continue to value him as a future top-4 defenseman. His value to the Avs is higher than his value to other teams, and if other teams want him, then they need to either meet or beat his value to the Avs.

Not to mention one extra year for Tatar doesn't bring his value up to that of Hall's.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Newhook and Timmins are in the same tier of prospects in the eye of sakic. He wouldn't trade the pick that got newhook for Kreider and he wouldn't trade Timmins in a trade to get hall, it definitely won't happen for Tatar.

well I mean kredier is supposed to get a 1st+ so tatar should easily getter a better return.

If all the avs are offering is a 1st+jost why would the habs do that? kreider is going to get a similar return to that and he's a ufa.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I know the market is bananas right now, but do you really expect a guy like Tatar to command a bigger return than he has in his last 2 trades? That’s just not going to happen (and no it doesn’t matter that you guys flipped Scandella for a bigger return than you got him for).

I expect Tatar to only be moved if he's returning what's in line with what the current market. Montreal doesn't have to trade him and all reports are that Bergevin doesn't even want to trade him. He isn't the cap dump he was in the Pacioretty trade though.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I get Tatar has seen a resurrection in Montreal but he looked god awful in the playoffs with Vegas and that certainly would be sticking in my mind for trade deadline acquisitions

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
So by reading this thread avs fan's are only offering a 1st+jost.

That would mean the avs won't get tatar since kreider is going to get a return like that and he's a ufa.

Seems like tatar to colorado is not going to be an option unless a better prospect is added.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
well I mean kredier is supposed to get a 1st+ so tatar should easily getter a better return.

If all the avs are offering is a 1st+jost why would the habs do that? kreider is going to get a similar return to that and he's a ufa.

1st + Kaut will be the basis. Joe might throw in Jost on-top of that at most but I'm guranteeing newhook, Timmins and Byram will still be in the avs system after the deadline. Can quote me on that

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
So by reading this thread avs fan's are only offering a 1st+jost.

That would mean the avs won't get tatar since kreider is going to get a return like that and he's a ufa.

Seems like tatar to colorado is not going to be an option unless a better prospect is added.
Good. Kreider is better than Tatar and is a more rounded player. I guarantee you no Avs fan will be crying because we got Chris Kreider instead of Tomas Tatar.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Basically the ask on kreider and Tatar are currently more than the Avs would like to spend. whichever comes down on the price will get the Avs to make a deal... I get the feeling NYR misses out on trading with Avs, then Boston being the only team interested who hasn't traded a first can demand Kreider for less.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I expect Tatar to only be moved if he's returning what's in line with what the current market. Montreal doesn't have to trade him and all reports are that Bergevin doesn't even want to trade him. He isn't the cap dump he was in the Pacioretty trade though.
You’re 100% right that you don’t HAVE to trade him. But his value will never be higher than it is now (whether that’s generally or under the current trade market), and MTL needs to get serious about this rebuild/“retool” if you want to become a legitimate contender in the next 3+ years. Right now all Tatar is doing is negatively impacting your draft selection this year, and his value will take a significant hit this offseason since he’ll be a rental next year.

Would you guys like a 1st + Timmins package? Absolutely. But if the choice is between a 1st + Kaut and keeping Tatar, you’re making a big mistake holding onto Tatar.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I saw a facebook post from RDS saying that Bergevin was in Denver to scout. Boy I read the comments. Someone suggested Tatar and Kovy for a 1st, Newhook and Timmins or someone straight up Byram. It was a funny read though. Anyway what does Habs fans expect to get for Tatar?

A 1st and a good prospect. ( Not Byram level)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad