Avs Claim Marko Dano

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not saying it's a bad pickup but I thought (hoped) we were done picking from the waiver bin?

Well at least it wasn't a defender that ends up playing top four minutes lol.

I think as much as we do have it, our depth kind of ended up split. There is a clear line between our first year pros who have talent but no experience, and our pro depth. Dries, Toni, and Kam are pretty much it, and we ended up in a spot where one is playing all the time with Ghetto out. There is no threat for guys like Borq or Neato either.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For all the waiver bins that you normally find on the wire, Dano is a decent pick up, no?

Possibly. It scares me a little that we're his 4th NHL team already and he's only 23.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not saying it's a bad pickup but I thought (hoped) we were done picking from the waiver bin?

Well, I know that's my first instinct too but really, teams should use the waiver wire more often than they do. It's not necessarily the mark of a good or bad team if they make a claim. It's the rotating cast of castoffs that is more indicative of that, like claiming Chris Wagner, who promptly went right back to Anaheim when Colorado waived him again.

And as others have pointed out, Sakic and his team have actually done a good job with their waiver claims.

Reactions: MarkT

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Although Dano is a rather glamorous waiver pickup (former first rounder, still only 24, had some stretches of real potential earlier in his career) - its best not to get too excited and not expect much and then be pleasantly surprised if we can turn some of the upside into production. “Can’t be worse than Dries” should be the baseline expectation. Getting a solid youngish third liner would be gravy.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well, I know that's my first instinct too but really, teams should use the waiver wire more often than they do. It's not necessarily the mark of a good or bad team if they make a claim. It's the rotating cast of castoffs that is more indicative of that, like claiming Chris Wagner, who promptly went right back to Anaheim when Colorado waived him again.

And as others have pointed out, Sakic and his team have actually done a good job with their waiver claims.

Yeah I know. I also like the fact that he played for Bednar before. I was just hoping that we had enough depth to avoid claiming guys on waivers.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think it's a good move. We get a guy who can still potentially carve out a solid NHL career for free and gives us more depth options as well as can push guys for a spot. Nieto has been bad this year, Kam hasn't looked great and Bork has been meh so this can either push them to play better or Dano can replace one of them in the lineup. Dano is also a guy who might help on faceoffs since capfriendly says he can play center and wing.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Awesome when I saw his name pop up I had a feeling the Avs would be on it. Waiver Joe strikes again!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He should be a very good player for the Avs, I see him as capable of 15 goals and atleast ~35 points playing middle-6 minutes and some PP2 time. He was underused by the Jets (and the Blackhawks) and underrated by the fans. The thing with him is that he doesn't "look" effective on the ice to the average fan or observer, probably due to his interesting skating style so
for that reason he gets criticism from some fans, but his results tell a clear story that he is effective, esp for the minutes he plays.

For whatever reason he got into both Quinnville and Maurice's doghouse and never seemed to get out of it. If he can stay out of Bednar's doghouse, I see him as a very effective 3rd line type who can play on a 2nd PP unit and slot into the top6 in case of injuries. He's also a low-key pest and often antagonizing the other team on the ice. There is a decent amount of untapped offensive potential there. He seems to love the game, has a great attitude and always a big smile on his face even while spending pretty much the entire season in the press box. I hope he is given the icetime to shine and prove some people wrong.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dude is listed as 5'11 212 lbs. He's quite stocky.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
There's some history with him and Bednar, i'm sure the coach will make it work.
Depth move who will probably add some offensive on the 3th line, could turn out to be a low risk high reward move, since he didnt cost any pick or player. At the end of the day , if it doesnt work Dano, no big deal.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad