Avs Claim Marko Dano

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
There's some history with him and Bednar, i'm sure the coach will make it work.
Depth move who will probably add some offensive on the 3th line, could turn out to be a low risk high reward move, since he didnt cost any pick or player. At the end of the day , if it doesnt work Dano, no big deal.

Like the avatar! :thumbu:

Reactions: Frenchy

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
For whatever reason he got into both Quinnville and Maurice's doghouse and never seemed to get out of it. If he can stay out of Bednar's doghouse, I see him as a very effective 3rd line type who can play on a 2nd PP unit and slot into the top6 in case of injuries. He's also a low-key pest and often antagonizing the other team on the ice. There is a decent amount of untapped offensive potential there. He seems to love the game, has a great attitude and always a big smile on his face even while spending pretty much the entire season in the press box. I hope he is given the icetime to shine and prove some people wrong.
Sounds like this year's Yak. Optimistic about the claim, should be effective.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Actually they prefer "Little People". I dont mind this signing at all, as Sakic has proven that he is very competent when it comes to waiver claims imo. See how he unfolds with the team but as was said above low risk fairly high reward.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Actually they prefer "Little People". I dont mind this signing at all, as Sakic has proven that he is very competent when it comes to waiver claims imo. See how he unfolds with the team but as was said above low risk fairly high reward.
I was joking

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Fantastic pickup for you guys. Dano is very underrated player by fans because the things he excels at is the thing that most fans are not hockey smart enough to notice. He is very good at his angles (on the forecheck and in the defensive zone) which can leads to many turnovers (not necessarily by him but good angles is how you implement a fore check, force the defender where you want them). Very good at board battles. His biggest strength is his hockey IQ in the offensive zone, very very good at finding and sitting in the dead areas of the ice without the puck and finding passing lanes with the puck. Excellent in the cycle game. It's why he has ALWAYS (even in Winnipeg) scored at low 2nd line/high 3rd line rate when you account for the tiny minutes he was given. Very very good at drawing penalties. Great penalty differential.

Not too say he is perfect. As mentioned above he has a very awkward skating style which tends to turn off fans. His stride is choppy resulting is some wasted effort. He is not particularly strong on the puck carrying it through the neutral zone. Probably doesn't have top end potential anymore as a first liner.

However if given an actual chance he will be a very quality player for you guys. A great 3rd liner that can fill into the top 6 when needed for now, eventually should be a real solid top 6 winger. 20g, 50pts is not out of the question going forward.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Kind of expected this pick up as soon as I saw him on waivers.

I like it. At very minimum it puts pressure on guys like Nieto, Bourque, Kamenev etc. Who are kind of meh pieces in the bottom six. It's nice to see that Sakic isn't just content with his bottom guys, and wants competition there. It makes everyone down there hungry to stay in the lineup.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I think this also gives us some insurance with ghetto going down this year and last. Kind of seems like he has similar potential.

Reactions: Foppberg

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Fantastic pickup for you guys. Dano is very underrated player by fans because the things he excels at is the thing that most fans are not hockey smart enough to notice. He is very good at his angles (on the forecheck and in the defensive zone) which can leads to many turnovers (not necessarily by him but good angles is how you implement a fore check, force the defender where you want them). Very good at board battles. His biggest strength is his hockey IQ in the offensive zone, very very good at finding and sitting in the dead areas of the ice without the puck and finding passing lanes with the puck. Excellent in the cycle game. It's why he has ALWAYS (even in Winnipeg) scored at low 2nd line/high 3rd line rate when you account for the tiny minutes he was given. Very very good at drawing penalties. Great penalty differential.

Not too say he is perfect. As mentioned above he has a very awkward skating style which tends to turn off fans. His stride is choppy resulting is some wasted effort. He is not particularly strong on the puck carrying it through the neutral zone. Probably doesn't have top end potential anymore as a first liner.

However if given an actual chance he will be a very quality player for you guys. A great 3rd liner that can fill into the top 6 when needed for now, eventually should be a real solid top 6 winger. 20g, 50pts is not out of the question going forward.
Well that's optimistic, huh?

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Dano is worth the gamble , like Yakupov or Andrighetto , no Lloyds if he doesn't pan out .
I just wish we would have signed Duclair cheap . Tried that instead

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh no, no no, not Duclair. He's flamed out spectacularly everywhere he's gone. The time for that would've been when Patrick Roy were still hanging around.

One guy I think the Avs will end up with from the Jax is Oliver Bjorkstrand. I think I read somewhere he was Bednar's best scorer in the playoffs for their Calder Cup run, and seems kinda stuck in a bottom six role there. Not to say the Jackets have misused him, just that he might need a change of address. I'm also not saying the Avs should get him, just that he seems predestined to end up there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dano and Ghetto are pretty different players. Dano is tailor made for the bottom six with a strong two-way game, Ghetto is more skilled but is a top six or bust type who doesn't fit anywhere but a scoring line. I don't see the offensive upside in Dano to ever fit on a scoring line.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dano and Ghetto are pretty different players. Dano is tailor made for the bottom six with a strong two-way game, Ghetto is more skilled but is a top six or bust type who doesn't fit anywhere but a scoring line. I don't see the offensive upside in Dano to ever fit on a scoring line.

Then you've clearly never seen him play. He is perfect complementary player on a scoring line. He is great at finding the "dead zone" on the ice to be primed for chances. Problem is in Winnipeg he has been paired with plugs who can't find him. He is awesome at finding those soft zones where chances can be buried in. Despite this he has still produced at a lower end 2nd line level. When put on a 2nd line he will easily produce at that level, if not more. Prepare to be surprised if the Avs actually give him a chance.

Reactions: Pomee

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Then you've clearly never seen him play. He is perfect complementary player on a scoring line. He is great at finding the "dead zone" on the ice to be primed for chances. Problem is in Winnipeg he has been paired with plugs who can't find him. He is awesome at finding those soft zones where chances can be buried in. Despite this he has still produced at a lower end 2nd line level. When put on a 2nd line he will easily produce at that level, if not more. Prepare to be surprised if the Avs actually give him a chance.
I hope I'm wrong about that!

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Finding soft zones would be great next to Mack and Rantanen. Mack attracts so much attention, half of the offensive zone would be a soft zone for Dano.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
It’s pronounce Dan-o like in Hawaii five-O show
Sorry to see him leave Winnipeg
But Jets have too much depth
Avs got a good player He’s young and on inexpensive contract
He skates around on the ice like a bowling ball
Really strong along the boards and in traffic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad