Confirmed with Link: Avs claim D Mark Alt from PHI

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
True, but I think this late into the season they'll bury someone like Miro or Geertsen instead of Meloche if too many guys get healthy...and who are we really worried about other than Meloche this season?

I doubt it. They'll bury whoever the weakest link is so they can ice the best lineup. If they were clearly out of the playoff picture it's a different story, but 1 or 2 wins could be the difference between SAR making the playoffs.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Everytime he makes a bad play...
tenor.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I doubt it. They'll bury whoever the weakest link is so they can ice the best lineup. If they were clearly out of the playoff picture it's a different story, but 1 or 2 wins could be the difference between SAR making the playoffs.

If that's the case then it'll be someone like Miro or Geertsen who gets to eat nachos instead of Meloche...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If that's the case then it'll be someone like Miro or Geertsen who gets to eat nachos instead of Meloche...

Fair enough, I don't watch SAR to know. I'm just stating that if EV thinks Meloche is the weakest link for the last 20 game run, he'll send him down.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
No way Alt gets a go with the top team now. Lindholm healthy again. Siemens killing it. Unless he's better than Nemeth like people say, and it's Nemeth replaced, it's a no from me.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The way Nemeth has been playing, it might be worth it to give a look at Alt. Nemeth has been making huge blunders left and right. Warsofsky's been pretty bad too, he doesn't exactly deserve to stay in the lineup.

If Alt looks strong in practice, I'd be ok with giving him a look for one game, and re-evaluating after. It may be risky with such huge games down the stretch, but it's risky as hell with Nemeth and Warsofsky in the lineup too.

At least Alt could be extra motivated to play at his peak. Nemeth and Warsofksy just look scared to make a mistake, which ends up leading to them doing so.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I still think we barely miss the playoffs but it would be amazing if we could band together and sneak in without our top D-man playing.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The way Nemeth has been playing, it might be worth it to give a look at Alt. Nemeth has been making huge blunders left and right. Warsofsky's been pretty bad too, he doesn't exactly deserve to stay in the lineup.

If Alt looks strong in practice, I'd be ok with giving him a look for one game, and re-evaluating after. It may be risky with such huge games down the stretch, but it's risky as hell with Nemeth and Warsofsky in the lineup too.

At least Alt could be extra motivated to play at his peak. Nemeth and Warsofksy just look scared to make a mistake, which ends up leading to them doing so.

You really want to replace Nemeth with Alt, I am trying to be nice here but seriously? Also I wouldn't compare Nemeth to Warsofksy, not yet, we will see how Warsofksy is developing. Siemens is different, he is looking great out there and he has potential for sure, he needs to stay in the team. Currently Nemeth is given about twice as much of icetime comparing to Siemens though.

You are aware of that Nemeth is one of the main reasons to why Colorado is currently fourth in NHL penalty killing? Game after game Nemeth is given most or second most time on PK for the Avs, many games he is given second or third most icetime on the entire team.

Nemeth is #15 in the NHL in +- stats.

Nemeth is also third in the NHL in blocked shots /game in average.

I'm fully aware of that the importance of blocked shots and +- stats is debatable, it depends on who you ask, when the blocked shots is taken and it needs to be analyzed from player to player (looking at the full picture). Would love not having this discussion right now though.

Yes, Nemeth has flaws, I agree, but some of you guys are only capable seeing Nemeth's flaws and sporadic mistakes which is laughable.

As I have told you before it doesn't really matter what we think since the coaches obviously is believing in Nemeth and seeing his value.

Last edited:
Reactions: joakym

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Nemeth is the new Holden, he has no chance.

* I could swear Siemens turned the puck over that led directly to the Flames second goal.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I neither get why Nemeth is so disliked. He's obviously not a top pairing guy but he's been pretty solid. He ices the puck way too often but he also has many outright great moments defensively. I take him over Lindholm and a player who doesn't know our system at this crucial time of the season easily.

Reactions: Oxymoron and Murzu

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Nemeth’s mistakes are magnified because he’s always out there in crucial situations, and he always ends up coming up with the puck. I think both of those reasons speak to why he is so valuable to the Avs, especially now without EJ.

He gets crucified because he is good for one questionable icing a game, and one flubbed clear on the PK.

He is much better than Holden was. I don’t think he is as good as Zadorov, but he is definitely more reliable, and I think Bednar weighs that over skill and potential.

Reactions: Hornstar

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't think Alt or Warsofsky have any sort of business in the NHL. For now, Bednar should replace Warsofsky with Lindholm. Should Barberio and Johnson return with the other six all healthy then there would be some tough decisions to make but since most Avs defensemen tend to be injured on a more or less regular basis, I wouldn't worry about that now:laugh:

Also remains to be seen if Siemens can keep it up...he's playing some phantastic hockey and if that's his standart then he has every chance of becoming a regular. I'll certainly be rooting for him.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I've thought that Holden,Siemens(so far),Nemeth have all looked fine and capable as bottom pairing guys. Playing them over 20 minutes a game is when things start to get dicey.

Reactions: Oxymoron and cgf

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man, Holden, Warsofsky, Lindholm...someone must've hit Alt and a drop-down menu appeared.

I've been as vocal a critic of Nick Holden as anyone on here, admittedly I may have been overly harsh. His run in 13-14 was pretty amazing, I think expectations got thrown a bit outta whack as a result. Basically I maintain the guy is a good 6/7 guy you can use on the power play but shouldn't be anything above that. The Avs used him as a top-4 guy, that was a bit much.

I'm still not a fan of Lindholm. He's got good wheels and is getting his physical game back but I still don't like the lack of puck skill. What's more, he seems to fancy himself a puckhandler and it usually doesn't end well.

No idea about Alt. I'd like to see maybe one game before saying anything further. Apparently he's big, physical, and mobile so that's good. Anything but another effing Guenin.

Again, don't understand the Warsofsky hate. I get that he isn't exactly a mainstay but geez, what are people's expectations exactly? He's been a perfectly capable injury callup and hasn't embarrassed himself out there. Unlike some of the defenders on Colorado's roster he usually makes good decisions with the puck.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think we should see Alt play a game before we start making too many predictions about him. I admit I haven't really looked at him much when he was up with Philly but I don't think he's a Gobblebeef level of on-ice cancer either. He'll draw in eventually, then we can actually see what we have.

Reactions: cgf

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Man, Holden, Warsofsky, Lindholm...someone must've hit Alt and a drop-down menu appeared.

I've been as vocal a critic of Nick Holden as anyone on here, admittedly I may have been overly harsh. His run in 13-14 was pretty amazing, I think expectations got thrown a bit outta whack as a result. Basically I maintain the guy is a good 6/7 guy you can use on the power play but shouldn't be anything above that. The Avs used him as a top-4 guy, that was a bit much.

I'm still not a fan of Lindholm. He's got good wheels and is getting his physical game back but I still don't like the lack of puck skill. What's more, he seems to fancy himself a puckhandler and it usually doesn't end well.

No idea about Alt. I'd like to see maybe one game before saying anything further. Apparently he's big, physical, and mobile so that's good. Anything but another effing Guenin.

Again, don't understand the Warsofsky hate. I get that he isn't exactly a mainstay but geez, what are people's expectations exactly? He's been a perfectly capable injury callup and hasn't embarrassed himself out there. Unlike some of the defenders on Colorado's roster he usually makes good decisions with the puck.

I don't remember Man...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You really want to replace Nemeth with Alt, I am trying to be nice here but seriously? Also I wouldn't compare Nemeth to Warsofksy, not yet, we will see how Warsofksy is developing. Siemens is different, he is looking great out there and he has potential for sure, he needs to stay in the team. Currently Nemeth is given about twice as much of icetime comparing to Siemens though.

You are aware of that Nemeth is one of the main reasons to why Colorado is currently fourth in NHL penalty killing? Game after game Nemeth is given most or second most time on PK for the Avs, many games he is given second or third most icetime on the entire team.

Nemeth is #15 in the NHL in +- stats.

Nemeth is also third in the NHL in blocked shots /game in average.

I'm fully aware of that the importance of blocked shots and +- stats is debatable, it depends on who you ask, when the blocked shots is taken and it needs to be analyzed from player to player (looking at the full picture). Would love not having this discussion right now though.

Yes, Nemeth has flaws, I agree, but some of you guys are only capable seeing Nemeth's flaws and sporadic mistakes which is laughable.

As I have told you before it doesn't really matter what we think since the coaches obviously is believing in Nemeth and seeing his value.

I think this demonstrates what this board has become. Preconceived notions, and exaggerations. Just read my second paragraph again.

"If Alt looks strong in practice, I'd be ok with giving him a look for one game, and re-evaluating after. It may be risky with such huge games down the stretch, but it's risky as hell with Nemeth and Warsofsky in the lineup too."

If he's not looking like he deserves to play to the coaching staff, then he doesn't play. Simple as that. And I'm only suggesting a one game tryout.

Nemeth is suffering from playing too high in the lineup, but he's also suffering from sucking really, really bad. He's nowhere near the defenseman he was earlier in the season, and that has as much to do with his decline, as it does with playing too high in the lineup.

People in general don't watch defenseman closely, and this is just another case. Nemeth turns over lots of pucks, makes lots of bad passes, and blows a lot of his coverage assignments.

He's making TONS of mistakes out there, and his confidence is in the gutter. Every time he makes a mistakes he throws his head back and sulks. It's not going to get better at this rate. He needs to reset mentally, and sitting for a game might help him do that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think we should see Alt play a game before we start making too many predictions about him. I admit I haven't really looked at him much when he was up with Philly but I don't think he's a Gobblebeef level of on-ice cancer either. He'll draw in eventually, then we can actually see what we have.

Well he was a #7 on a team that sits above us in the standings and has a pretty good young group of defenders. I doubt he's complete trash.

Reactions: McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
and his confidence is in the gutter. Every time he makes a mistakes he throws his head back and sulks. It's not going to get better at this rate. He needs to reset mentally, and sitting for a game might help him do that.

This, soooo much this. People have this "they're professionals so they should be robots" attitude with athletes that's just insane. Confidence is such a crucial part of playing well in any sport, and sometimes a night off and (hopefully) a successful first game back can be a great way to pull someone's confidence out of a spiral...though if his replacements shine and he looks even worse after the scratch it can lead it to spiral even worse (see Bigras, Chris).

It's such a sensitive balance that coaches have to navigate that fans so often neglect completely

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This, soooo much this. People have this "they're professionals so they should be robots" attitude with athletes that's just insane. Confidence is such a crucial part of playing well in any sport, and sometimes a night off and (hopefully) a successful first game back can be a great way to pull someone's confidence out of a spiral...though if his replacements shine and he looks even worse after the scratch it can lead it to spiral even worse (see Bigras, Chris).

It's such a sensitive balance that coaches have to navigate that fans so often neglect completely

Absolutely. Nemeth if things go the way one would hope, should play above Alt for the bulk of the rest of this season. That's because he has displayed an ability to play at a higher level than Alt has. Unfortunately, he's not playing anywhere near that level right now, and hasn't for a long time.

If he can settle himself down a bit, learn from Duncan Siemens of all people, and see how he's played within his capabilities lately, he by all means should be able raise his level of play.

Maybe his early season form is his absolute peak that he won't return to, but somewhere between that level, and where he is at not, is certainly attainable for him, and one that would help the team tremendously.

Reactions: cgf

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Well he was a #7 on a team that sits above us in the standings and has a pretty good young group of defenders. I doubt he's complete trash.
He'll need a few games to get used to the system, though. Possibly more than 10. I'm glad Avs have him in case more dmen get injured but I prefer he'll get time to practice with the team at least. He's not a Girard whom you want on the team instantly.

I don't remember Man...
Zadorov is the Man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad