Confirmed with Link: Avs claim D Mark Alt from PHI

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that the team has claimed defenseman Mark Alt on waivers from the Philadelphia Flyers.

Alt, 26, has split the 2017-18 season between the Flyers and their American Hockey League affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. He has skated in eight games for Philadelphia (0g/0a) and 23 games for Lehigh Valley (5g/5a). The 6-foot-4, 201-pound defenseman has appeared nine career NHL games with the Flyers, eight this year and one contest in 2014-15.

Selected by Carolina in the second round (53rd overall) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Alt was traded to the Flyers on Jan. 13, 2013. Born in Kansas City, Missouri, Alt played three seasons at the University of Minnesota before turning pro in 2012-13. He has spent the majority of the last four seasons with the Flyers' AHL affiliates.

Avalanche Claims Alt From Flyers

468524442.jpg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Reading the main board thread it sounds like he's a right handed version of Siemens. Zero offense, but a mobile defensive Dman.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
how dare you come in here with facts

Was just joking, but it's interesting he's a pending UFA. Waiver pickup they're only tied to for a few months. Kinda shows their level of commitment at the deadline this year.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Surely won't play for Avs? Even with our complete lack of depth on D, he'd have to be right at the bottom. Much rather the Siemens, Warsfosky, Nemeth, Mironov types on top of our Girard Barrie, Zadorov D-men.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How many waiver pickups do we have? I'm sick of dressing other teams' rejects TBH. Flyers dumped him because they though Oduya (who had no trade value) was better.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Nemeth, Sven, Alt, Barb, Nieto.

Sven, Nieto and Barb are useful players, Nemeth looks pretty bad now, and we'll see for Alt.

But who cares? We're a rebuilding club, free player is a free player. It'd be different if we were a contender.

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
How many waiver pickups do we have? I'm sick of dressing other teams' rejects TBH. Flyers dumped him because they though Oduya (who had no trade value) was better.

Is it because at this point, we just want a warm body, and it didn't matter WHO it was, so that SAR may potentially play in the P/O's? Especially considering his status. I just think it's stupid this plug gets a spot over one of our young guys who need the extra game time and experience. Stupid waiver claim. The guy makes Ryan O'Byrne look like Usain Bolt.

Give Mironov (or a guy who has a future here) more game time.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Is it because at this point, we just want a warm body, and it didn't matter WHO it was, so that SAR may potentially play in the P/O's? Especially considering his status. I just think it's stupid this plug gets a spot over one of our young guys who need the extra game time and experience. Stupid waiver claim. The guy makes Ryan O'Byrne look like Usain Bolt.

He's not slow, and I'd prefer our younger guys getting the minutes in SA than bottom pairing on the Avs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I'm not mad because he's taking the spot of one of our not-so-good players like Mironov, I'm mad because what we find when dumpster diving is better than what we already have. "Not good enough for you but good enough for us". I'm sick of it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Alt is a solid player, I think he has been caught in a bit of a numbers game in Philly and just doesn't have the upside of others around him. Much better puck skills than Siemens and stays within himself a bit better, but similar sort of player.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
He's not slow, and I'd prefer our younger guys getting the minutes in SA than bottom pairing on the Avs.

Not sure I agree there mate. He was awful, on a loaded Philly team. Generally a loaded team will make you look better than what you are, but I felt like he looked as though he was skating through mud. I'll guess we'll see. Nah, I prefer the kids to be playing important NHL minutes (even if sheltered and protected minutes) to get real game time against elite players. If their contract status allows for it, experience is key for the future imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad